when do I plant: cabbage, brussel sp.,onions, spinach

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

I am in zone 7b and my garden is very protected. Can I plant them now? Or do I need to start them inside or in my green house?
Thanks so much!!!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Unlees you are going with plants, start the cabage in a cold frame now. Set in the ground in 6-8 weeks. Spinach you can direct sow in early March. Onions, I would advise plants (Dixondale or Brown Omaha Plant farms) set middle February to March. I don't have any luck with spring planted Brussels Sprouts in a warm climate. I have to set plants in late summer for harvest around Thanksgiving. If your garden is well protected, you may able to push the calendar up a bit. Most of these will be fine in the ground as soon as the danger of a hard freeze is past.

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks so much Farmerdill. That was just the advice I needed!

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Farmerdill:

You have mentioned your use of cold frames on several threads. I am starting my cole crops indorrs under lights. I have plenty of room for a cold frame. Is there an advantage to using a cold frame as opposed to starting indoors?

Do you have any pictures of your frame that you can share?

BB

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Here is one, used for cauliflower and broccoli. Advantages - Cheap, cheap, cheap. These are 4 x 4 which are covered with scavenged storm windows in the Jan. early February. 2nd advantage. plants come out of the frame ready to go. They can take on the world without any hardening off process. and in my case I am not starting a couple of dozen plants, but a couple hundred. Don't have to worry about space.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Well I am in zone 5, so January would be too early to try cold frames. Do you put them out a certain number of weeks before last frost? Or does it depend on the vegetable type?

Thank you.

Megan

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I start Brassica's 8-10 weeks before last average frost. I start tranplanting into the field ( Broccoli/ cabbage) about 2 weeks be fore last average frost date. Cold frame plants will take light frost. Cauliflower will button if its growth cycle is interrupted, so I transplant on/about the last average frost date.

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Thank you!

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.