Dahlia Garden

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Hi! I am planting dahlias this spring for the first time. I went to the Swan Island dahlia show last August and bought 20 dahlias. Some of them are going to go in my 'chocolate garden,' but I'm trying to decide what to do with the rest. Should I put them all in one area of the garden or should I sort of spread them around? If I spread them around, I could some in my garden that is all whites/oranges/yellows and then some in my garden that is pinks/purple/pastels.

What do you think would have the most impact?

The varieties I bought are: APPLEBLOSSOM, BAARN BOUNTY, BAMBINO, BLACK SATIN , BLISS, FOOL'S GOLD, HONEY DEW, IMPERIAL WINE, INNOCENCE, INTRIGUE , LADY LIBERTY, LEMON SHIFFON, LINDY, MATHEW ALAN, MIDNIGHT MOON, MISS ROSE, FLETCHER , PATTYCAKE, REBECCA LYNN, RIP CITY, STAR CHILD, TOUCH OF CLASS, 2 and TOUCHE'.

If I put them all in one area, I'm afraid some of the colors will clash.

I'm not too worried as if I don't like where I put them,I can always switch it the following year since I'll have to dig the tubers anyway,but would likethem to look as nice as possible this year.

Thanks,
Gwendalou

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya Gwendalou,

great to see you,

Whoa, that garden sounds wonderful. I know nothing of those hybrids, but I'm sure there are many here that know them and will give great advice.

Chocolate garden?......please elaborate, it sounds interesting.

best,
don

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi Gwendalou,
Nice hearing from you again.
Those dahlias sound great. Bet you are excited to get the tubers from them.
As for planting them and where, I have done both methods.
Tho my 2 dahlia beds end up with other plants eventuately (sp?)(have hollyhock, delph., carnations, verbena, etc mixed in so the tall stalks are so bare looking). Last spring, I had lots of extra tubers and couldn't stand to throw/compost them, so I just planted them all over my yard.
I loved that! It made my yard so pretty with the different colors.

But in my dahlia beds, I didn't have the best color combos so I understand what you are talking about. I did try to put the similar colors together tho.
So you could just try both ways if you want. The shorter ones will have to be in front anyways.
The only ones I have that you mention are 'Pattycake', which isn't too tall and a pretty salmon/pink color and 'Rip City' which I am not too fond of after growing it last year. For me, it was kind of short and the blooms were a dark red but nothing special, I thought.
Yes, the choco. garden does sound interesting.
Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck! Keep us posted.
Carol

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

HI Gwen,
I also am not familiar with all those varieties, but I do know that Bliss would look better in my garden :}
My eye tells me that warm colors(orange,red,yellow) would look good together and others (white,pink,darkest colors) would also look good together. The varigated and two toned ones are kind of a guess. Have fun with it, and learn what looks good to you,
Al

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

DaisyRuffles, I think I got Rip City for the chocolate garden. I don't have the catalog in front of me right now, so can't remember. But if it's dark, then that's probably it.

Don, I started my chocolate garden last year when a nursery opened here called Chocolate Flower Farms and I went by to check it out. They have such unusual plants and everything is topnotch quality. I had an area I wanted to do something with, so I decided it would be my 'chocolate garden.' Basically it's dark red/burgandy plants. There really are not a lot of plants that are chocolate scented. Chocolate cosmos is supposed to be, but my nose (which is actually very sensitive) does not get that scent from it!

I have some perennials in it, and this fall planted a lot of white and burgandy tulips. I also have a lot of annual seed that I'm going to throw around come spring. I have a couple grasses in there. They are supposedly not hardy to zone 7, and will need to be replaced, but last I looked, they were still okay. I haven't been out there since 12/26, as the day after xmas, I fell and sprained both ankles and broke my right leg. So am sort of confined indoors at the moment, and itching to get outside! So I'm sitting in bed pouring thru all the seed catalogs that arrive daily, am looking thru old gardening mags and books in my collection, and tonight as I went to the movies, I strolled past the bookstore and noticed all gardening books are 25% off!!!! So am emailing a friend to ask if she'll take me there tomorrow.

I think what I may do with the dahlias is take all the pinks and put them in my garden near the house which has pinks, blues, and purples, some whites. The ones I ordered that are the 'fruity' colors - peachy yellow, kind of like sherbet - I'll put together in another area, maybe lining the outside of a fenced garden we have.

Then, as they bloom and I cut them to bring indoor for arrangements, I can see what colors go well together and then decided where to put them the following year. I already have others I want to get from the Swan Island catalog. I'm hoping I get to divide the tubers from the 20 I'm ordering this year for the following year and thus will have some for trade. Altho the tubers are not too terribly expensive at $5 apiece, when you want a lot, they add up and it's also fun to trade. And of course, I want some of the 'new' dahlias in their catalog which are in the $15-$17 range, ouch!

Gwendalou

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.