Solar pool covers

Fulton, MO

This year I added a solar pool cover. I bought a 20x40' cover and cut off 10' from one end. This smaller piece I placed on the north wall of the GH. The larger piece covers the top and sides, all but the southern 4' of roof. The south wall is not covered.

The cover, combined with unseasonably mild temps, has meant I have greatly reduced my propane usage this year.

Has anyone else on DG used a solar pool cover? Have you been happy with the result? Will you do it next year?

I have a different plan for next year, but I'll wait to hear what others have to say...

SB

Thumbnail by stressbaby
(Mary) Poway, CA(Zone 10a)

I haven't heard of anyone else using a pool solar cover. Cool idea. I imagine it works similar to the greenhouse bubble wrap that some people are using on the inside of their greenhouse. When I had a pool the covers only lasted 2 seasons before they started to shred.

Fulton, MO

Maybe nobody here has tried solar pool covers. There are many who swear by them. Mpabbott1, you are right, it works like bubblewrap. And mine has started to shred on the corners. The culprit is WIND. You really have to tie these things down well in a windy site. But my cover has already paid for itself.

Next year I'm going to cut it into strips and install it on the inside with an air gap between the cover and the glass.

SB

Worden, IL(Zone 6a)

SB -I use a solar pool cover on my greenhouse. I cover half the top and the sides. My cover is blue but it still works pretty good. I have a tiny greenhouse 8x10 and use a small electric heater. With the warm temps this winter, like you, all my plants inside are doing great.

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

This message was edited May 28, 2010 4:47 PM

Fulton, MO

I got the idea from Cactusfreak over at GW. She got it from someone else, or so she says. But good for you anyway!

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

couldn't the solar cover be put up inside? would solve the wind problem and still have the solar effect?

Fulton, MO

Jackie, that is exactly what I intend to do next winter. I'm still working out a way to hang it up, though. SB

farm tek has this metal reflective tape that I used to put up the tek-foil in the inside of mine..........sticks great to anything and under moist conditions

Thumbnail by jackieshar

free catalog of fun stuff at farmtek.com

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

This message was edited May 28, 2010 4:47 PM

Reno, NV

I've been using a clear solar pool cover on a very small greenhouse - 8 x 12 - for two years. I am in a very wind prone area. It is not uncommon to have gusts to 60. I secure the cover with heavy duty spring clamps and place bags of dirt or shredded cedar up against the sides. It's never blown apart and has withstood record snowfall. Apparently enough light gets through. I've been growing tomatoes, peppers, petunias, irises, chives, lemon balm, walla-wallas and petunias through the winter. Tomatoes are just getting by, peppers are productive, petunias happy, irises couldn't be better, chives are going to seed, lemon balm isn't really happy with the humidity, onions getting bigger and petunias blooming.

Fulton, MO

My cover has come loose for the last time this year. I'm taking it off tomorrow...SB

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.