Special Ivies

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I'm toying with the idea of adding a few of the tiny, gorgeous ivies to my landscape. I have lots of shade, and the varigated leaves might brighten up some spaces. Does anyone here grow them? If so, what have you had success with? Also, where is a reputable nursery to get them? One of the ones I'd really like to get is this year's Ivy of the Year one, Anita. It's my mom's name, and she would love it (so would I).

Thanks!!

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I grow Glacier here, have had it for about 4 or 5 years. It only has grown about 6 feet up my fir tree, and dies back in winter. It is perfect for that spot, because it simply grows up the trunk and stops just before the branches begin. It spreads around the trunk, but is not vigorous by any means. I like it because it is bright, but not too splashy or vulgar.

Here is a picture:

http://www.ivy.org/glaci.html

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Glacier is beautiful. Judging by your dg name I figured you might grow ivy. Do you remember where you bought it?

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Carmen,

I grow 'goldheart'. I believe I got it at Wayside. I bought a couple of others in small hanging baskets at Kroger to fill a planter box in my courtyard because I got tired of changing it with the seasons. One looked like 'Glacier' from the link ivy provided. Anyway, turns out they were all cold hardy but they almost took over so I ripped them all out. I still have 'goldheart' growing elsewhere.

Brenda

Denver, CO

I have quite a number of ives that I enjoy. Local gardeen ceters, through "Proven Selections" brand, have offered som enice ones like 'Mini Ester,' 'Golden Ingot,' and 'Yellow Ripple.' I have a very small-leafed ivy that is nearly all-white in my memory. I am not sure what it is, but a Greenhouse in NY (who sent it to me) said it was from TerraNova. A person can go to City market, Lowe's (especially: Angel brand ivies) or home depot and buy Ivy that is intended as a houseplant. I have overwintered these easily. They are often more interesting than ones called 'hardy' at garden centers.

K. James

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I grow glacier also. Pot is outside all year long in mostly shade. I love to go to Lowes and check out the Angel brand varieties, they're usually about $2-3. Just today gone one called ivy variegated Adam. very pretty, leaves are unusual. I bought two to be indoor plants.

Denver, CO

Adam is nice. It is pretty tough. Could you supply a picture, Voss?

Denver, CO

Here is that mini supposedly from TerraNova. My thumb for size comparison. All pictures were taken today.

Thumbnail by ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

'Duckfoot'

Denver, CO

'Mint Kolibri' Spiffy colors. The lime part is the best. Resistant to winterburn.

Denver, CO

Here is one of those novelty Home Depot things. My neigbor had it and was killing it. She gave it to me, and was suprised when it was put into the ground and grew well. You can see this "Houseplant" has no trouble with snow!

Denver, CO

'Golden Ingot' Ivy of the year... sometime.

Denver, CO

Here's one for you, Voss. (I still can't get that incarcerated look out of my mind!)

'Gold Dust Plus' from Angel Plants, next to the large leaves of Hedera colchica 'Dentata Variegata.' It has the most unusual paint-fleck white.

Denver, CO

And finally, here is my favorite, 'Yellow Ripple.' (taken last fall.) It is extremely tolerant of winterburn, as I do not bury it in leaves, and it has a toasty winter position. It has the greatest colors that change with leaf maturity, and of slow to moderate growth.

Hope these help somehow,
K. James

lol, Kenton. some face to remember me by!
I have the one that your neighbor gave to you. Mine is outside with very little care and the thing is doing great.

I will post a pix of my new one tomorrow. very unusual leaves.

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

Such well-behaved looking ivy. My only experience with ivy was one that wanted to eat the world! I see not all ivy is so ruthless. LOL There might be a place or two in my new garden for nice mannerly ivy. There's lots of shade and plenty of rain, fer shur.

Denver, CO

In order to dispell the ill notions, the American Ivy Society's "Ivy of the Year" is always well-behaved! There are a few ivies that could not hold their own in the garden and would never even think of climbing a wall. Scientifically called "Wimps" in my book; a happy medium is to be found.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Those are very well mannered ivies. And so pretty! I will check out Lowe's to see what they have. I do want Anita, though. (This year's Ivy of the Year.)

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I am not sure where I bought Glacier. It could have been Big Dipper Farm, or maybe Heronswood. I just can't remember. I think Heronswood, but they may not be selling it this year.

I finally got curious enough that I went and looked at the Exotic Angel website. very interesting. This owner was a foreign exchange student and started a nursery business. I am impressed with the fact he participates in a foreign exchange program and students from other countries work in his nursery for 6-18 months. What a learning experience, huh?

anyway, here is the link if you want to ck it out. It is a wholesale only business.

http://www.exoticangel.com/

Kenton, finally a pix of ivy variegated dwarf "Adam". Notice the unusual shape of the leaves. This is one of those Exotic Angel plants.

Thumbnail by vossner

here's another. I paid about $2.50 at HD

Thumbnail by vossner
Denver, CO

Thank you so much, Voss, for that link. I wonder if those extremely narrow buggers would be tolerant to sunburn, having such tiny leaves. They must be a great foil for bulbs coming through them, and for nice textural potential... 'Adam' is one of the nicest, I think.
I will forever haunt the houseplant section now, hoping to expand the outdoor collection...

I hope you find a suitable variety for your uses, Pins.
K. James

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, James. I'm heading to HD and Lowe's today, also looking for the exotic ivies. I've never done that before - looked for ivies, that is. Should be fun.

they had a survey on their website and my only comment to them was that it was a shame that if they grow 250 varieties, only 20-30 are available at any given time at lowes/hd. not all are ivies, some are baby bananas, crotons, peperonias, sinnigias, dwarf ficus.

JamesCo, I actually bought 2 of the Adam and both are sitting by a east-facing window. The Glacier is outside, also facing east. they are a delight in that they are low maint. and grow like crazy. If I remember, I will post a pix of that.

Denver, CO

I did the survey too, telling that I liked thier varieties, especially when they are ID'd.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.