Please help my Frau Taiko

Midland, TX(Zone 7b)

This first picture shows the beautiful blooms in June. But, look on at the next picture... The leaves are yellow and the stems are thin and spindlely. I know it needs pruning but, I'm scared that I won't do it correctly. I imagine it needs a fertilizer. What type do you recommend?

Thumbnail by JuBabe
Midland, TX(Zone 7b)

Look at this poor thing. Please help my Frau Taiko.

Thumbnail by JuBabe
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

jubabe--

a very pretty flower but I am not familiar with Frau Taiko....what is it? A kind of phlox, maybe?

t.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

It looks like a hydrangea? If it is, I found these websites that might help...
http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/pruning.html
http://www.conweb.com/hydrangea/pruning.shtml
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0205/hydrangea_pruning.asp

I hope one them holds the info you require.

Midland, TX(Zone 7b)

I'm sorry. I didn't include that, did I? Yes, it is a Hydrangea. They are not common in West Texas at all. Our heat really gets gets them.

Yes, it's a hydrangea, and a hard -to-find cultivar. It actually looks quite healthy to me. I see that you have some yellowing of the lower leaves, but the new growth looks just fine and many hydrangeas lose some lower leaves as a normal part of their growth. Some of mine do, some of mine don't. I used to get worried about it, but now I don't. How long has this baby been in the ground? It doesn't look very mature, and perhaps this variety has thinner stems. Some of the mopheads have flowers so large that the stems cannot support the weight.
You can check for spider mites (I assume this is dormant right now) in the summer, but if you keep it well watered, this shouldn't be a problem. Just trim it back to the first fat bud when it starts leafing out in the spring and give it some nice rotted manure and alfalfa blend, or you favorite fertilizer for flowering shrubs. When trying to determine soil deficiencies, look at the new growth. If it's nice and healthy, then you're fine in that area. It's a beautiful hydrangea. Probably would be lavender in my soil. Hope this helps. There is a hydrangea forum that I encourage you to look at if you have more questions. Lots of knowlegeable people there who love hydrangeas.

Midland, TX(Zone 7b)

Thank you so much for your answers. It has been in the ground for 3 years. It doesn't seem to have grown very much. I don't know much about Hydrangeas so I really don't know. I think I will search out the Hydrangea forum. I didn't realize that there was one on DG.

Three years? It seems like it should be fuller than that by now, but have you pruned it ever? This variety gets to be about 4 feet tall, I think. Definitely post this in the hydrangea forum. Especially since you are in a much different heat zone than I am.

Midland, TX(Zone 7b)

I've taken pictures of it for 3 summers. That's why I know it's 3 years. I think it's extremely small, too.

Have you ever pruned this shrub? I wouldn't need much pruning, and if you've taken out branches, this might explain why the shrub is not very full. Since it looks healthy with beautiful full blooms, you might do some research on this particular cultivar and see if that's just its growth habit.

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

How much sun does it get? That will dwarf them - they like a bit of shade...

Midland, TX(Zone 7b)

They are in my west facing backyard, so it gets pretty hot. When I took the picture, I was standing on my covered patio. It doesn't really get that much sun, just heat.

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

That might be the problem - in the high heat of the summer mine droop terribly and they only get sun part of the day. But - you'd have to be brave to move it I'd think....don't know.....

You can definitely move your hydrangea. They move easily and if it's not getting any shade you might consider doing so, especially in Texas. Hydrangeas like rich soil that holds plenty of moisture without being swampy.
I'm still wondering if it's just one of the many different mopheads that have stems that are a bit too weak to hold up the flowers. The flowers and leaves look healthy.

Midland, TX(Zone 7b)

Where do I move it to? What type of area should I be looking for? The temperatures are still going to be 100 degrees no matter where I put it?

Is there a large tree or shrub somewhere that would give it a little more protection from the heat? I mean, that might not even be the problem. Glad to see you posted on the Hydrangea forum.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.