Landscaping a new deck

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 8a)

Hi, Y'all,

This is my first post since joining....

I live in Georgetown, SC, 38 miles from Myrtle Beach. My husband built me the most beautiful deck at the end of last summer, and I want to do some landscaping around it... first of all for visual pleasure, but also to discourage my 3 dogs from lying up under the deck. I figured I'd use latticework to keep them out, but I'd like some suggestions of native(or not) plants to provide beauty and aroma and attract butterflies...... really any and ALL thses things. Is that clear as Catawba red clay?
Thanks in advance!!!

Kdawson

PS: I LOVE those miniature gardenias...do they have a name?

hi k
what's the maximum height of your proposed shrubbery? that would help a lot with suggestions. do you want evergreen, deciduous or a mix?
marsha

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

The miniature gardenias are called 'Radicans'.

it'd be good know, also, what exposure for these shrubs - full sun, shade or part ...

Raleigh, NC

Vines like clematis would be nice growing up the lattice, especially if you are using smaller bushes like the mini-gardenias. Or an evergreen like Carolina Jasmine could be good. I think fragrant bushes and vines would be really nice so you could sit and enjoy the fragrance from the deck. -Ais.

Sanford, NC

I really love carefree, disease-resistant roses like Knockout (flowers nonstop 3 seasons and burgundy foliage in the cold) and The Fairy. Also blue and black and blue salvias last forever, complement pinks and attract mucho hummers. These are unfortunately nonfragrant, but such performers for color.

When you decide on your evergreen plants for structure, then you can fill in with perennials and roses as seasonal accents. I keep imagining a lowish deck with lattice, but that may not be the case. Does it have a railing and/or benches?

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 8a)

Our deck is about 30" off the ground with an eastern exposure- gets morning sun.
I really do like Confederate Jasmine, but, in my experience, it tends to be invasive. Can you keep it in check by pruning?
I'm thinking I'd like to have that on the latticework, the radicans gardenias since they are low-growing. I don't really want anything tall, but I do have 3 banana shrubs that are up against the garage, and need to be moved. What about one on each of the 2 corners; do they do well kept pruned back?
I appreciate all your suggestions.
:) Kathy

This message was edited Jan 22, 2006 4:10 PM

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 8a)

I forgot to mention the deck does have a railing; we even have a porch swing at one end. We have several hummer feeders.
What about the actual Making of the beds? Should I haul in topsoil AND compost? What makes the best beds? And is the shredded cedar a better mulch than pinestraw? We have lots of pine trees in the yard.
Did I mention I love daylilies?
:)
Kdawson

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.