Hanging baskets & window box - suggestions?

somewhere, PA

I'm ordering seeds for my containers & baskets now. I got the usual suspects (Petunia, verbena, begonia) as well as that bronze
sedge. I'd love to hear suggestions for plants that would do well in hanging baskets and flower boxes. I've got both sun and shade
so no limits on conditions!

Thanks
Tam

Saint Petersburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Tammy, I'm growing Matt's Wild Cherry tomatoes in baskets on my enclosed porch. They are indeterminates and just hang down from the baskets.

Cindy

somewhere, PA

Cindy - cool! Do you have to start them soon?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Blue lobelia is one of my favorites. Do you mix flowers in the same pots? That can be really pretty! Don't forget the thriller, the spiller, and the filler. (Premise of container gardening which I only heard of this fall.) I'm not sure how it relates to hanging baskets, though.

xxxxxxx,
Carrie

Saint Petersburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Tammy,

Where you are, I think you would start them later to put them outdoors. I started mine at the end of October, and they are blossoming now. Actually, they started blossoming over New Years when we had a warm spell. When it's warm, they should germinate very easily too. I had terrific germination results in October, but it was hot then.

You can put two plants in one 10-inch (or larger) basket to give it a more balanced look.

One thing I forgot to mention: I think a plastic basket would be best, because they might lose too much water in a porous basket. I know they would here in Florida. Mine are in those self-watering baskets from Wal-Mart.

Cindy

somewhere, PA

I line my wire baskets with moss on the outside and plastic grocery bags on the inside to help keep in
the water longer. And I forgot about lobelia! Yep - that's on order too. Last year I got a really pretty mix
of linaria - gorgeous for the first few months but it petered out by Aug. I'm thinking I may need to replant
the baskets partway through the summer.

I live in zone6b / NE Pa. I start all my annuals in the greenhouse, typically in Feb or Mar. Then I plant up
my containers starting in late April and put them out in May. I've got 6 large wire hanging baskets & two
haybasket types. I also put out flower pouches, many pots & several window boxes. It takes forever to
water it all but it adds so much to the place!

I tried a few new annuals last year that didn't work out as well. I'm always looking for new ideas though.

Oh... I can't wait for spring!!!!!

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

"Tumbler" tomato works great for hanging baskets . Plant two in a 14 or 16 in. basket. Good tomatos and a great conversation piece.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Guys, as long as we're talking window boxes, does anyone put perennials in windowboxes? Can you leave them out over the winter or do you have to bring them in? Just getting tired of replanting the same boxes every year!

xxxxx, carrie

somewhere, PA

Hey Carrie - I'll let you know this spring. I planted dianthus in some of my boxes and
will see how the did over the winter. I suspect you'd need to find perennials that are
hardy at least a couple zones colder than where you are or you'd have to protect them
somehow. (I have over wintered big pots in the tack room of my barn where it seldom
goes below freezing successfully. This is my first year leaving the boxes unprotected
all winter).

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

My container dianthus (maiden pinks) came back last year (zone 5). I really didn't expect it to and I just left it for dead. So I had a pleasant surprise.

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

I love growing my bush beans in hanging baskets.

kanita

somewhere, PA

Hmmm... now that's interesting! do they have pretty flowers too?
I recall peas do but not sure about beans.

Tam

Drumheller, Alberta, Canada(Zone 3a)

Hmmmm How about beans with peas! That would e interesting. I think I will try that. Maybe even stick a few morning glories in for added color.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.