Amaryllis: Bulb in trouble. Temporary thing?

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

I bought a dry bulb that had already spent one bloom and had another stalk emerging and had the tips of new leaves showing about an inch. Both leaves and bud were white when I got it and the bud is now greening up. The bud stalk is growing but the leaves have begun to dry and fade away. There is a grayish-brown cast to the leaves where they go into the bulb. It doesn't seem to be a rot.

Have you had experience with this? What can I expect to happen with my bulb?

Robert.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Sounds like some kind of mould. Do you have a pic to post?

I wish I did. I don't have a digi-cam. :-(

The only thing I can do is video captures and the quality is quite poor.

Today I noticed that the youngest leaf is greening up! Yeah! So, I'm thinking that the growing point is healthy and things will work out.

Robert.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Yes, in my experience Amaryllis are pretty hard to mess up--

except for the Red Blotch issue which is bothersome...

A sunny spot and no overwatering is about all they need...

Here's one of mine...I love collecting them...they are so nice to have around in January to brighten things up.

Good luck. t.

Thumbnail by tabasco

Thanks for the pic. I love the pure white ones. I had one in the window of my dormroom at UNC-C.

I agree about their flowers brightening up a winter! I counted to see how many I have and was a little surprised to count 10. (I wish I had room to have one of every color!) I have some upstairs in the light and warm while some others are still asleep downstairs.

I looked down in the top of the bulb and pulled out a dried up leaf and didn't see any signs of anything "funky". The grayish look may have been due to shadows.

Robert.

You might try cutting off the troubled area. The leaves will grow back.

Seems as though the bulb has fully recovered now that it's getting some root growth. Looks as though all is well and it was just a temporary thing this time.

Thanks.
Robert.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.