Inexpensive source of tuberose and Lily 'Casablanca'

(Zone 7a)

I'm not up to spending the $50 minimum required by this outfit, but at 25 tuberose for $14.50, someone else might like to:

www.kvbwholesale.com

This same outfit also has a retail catalog. They offer a $25 coupon off what you buy when you buy $50 worth. Between that, and $5 specials in the back, this is a hard-to-beat deal. Plus, they sell some "black" flowers that I don't see in the wholesale catalog -

www.dutchbulbs.com

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

We used to buy wholesale from them. Their stuff from the wholesale end was really crappy and their customer service was non existent.

(Zone 7a)

I'm sorry to hear that. For us, they did replace some Scabiosa 'Butterfly Blue' that arrived in a very sorry state, once, and there was an autumn when I bought enough little bulbs like dwarf daffies to plant along a walk, which seemed okay.

I haven't done a whole lot of business with them.

So, do you know of another source of inexpensive tuberose?

Does McClure and Zimmerman have them in their catalog? Not online, but the catalog. I can't find mine or I'd look myself.

(Zone 7a)

I'll bet they probably do, but this is not a good year for me to add them to my plant and seed budget for 2006 right now.

Went to the watchdog, M & Z has a not so good rating, lol. I haven't ordered from them in a long time but they still send a catalog.

(Zone 7a)

I once ordered 25 white parrot tulips from M and Z to plant under the purple-leaved, intensely fragrant (to me) Prunus cistena. Some of what M and Z sent were the white parrot tulip, but some were a bright orange-red early tulip instead. Not as horrible as bindweed gone berserk, but still - a grrrful moment.

(Well, they have come and gone and now - from Home Depot - am growing a black tulip in that spot - much more dramatic.)

That reminds me of the time I bought tulips to go in my pink garden. The label said pink, but they were flaming orange when they bloomed! They came from Walmart, I should have known!

(Zone 7a)

Yup - don't know any other outfit worse than Walmart when it comes to mislabeling plants.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

AMEN to that blue!!

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

Karen, did you ever get your tuberose bulbs? I purchased some from "Easy to Grow Bulbs" last year and was quite pleased with the quality of bulbs that were sent. They were very large bulb clusters. Most places only sell one clove of the cluster and count it a one bulb. Very reasonable price for the size. I might add too, that they had great customer service.

http://www.easytogrowbulbs.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=429

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Kathy,
WOW!!! Now there's some good sized clusters!!! I've not seen prices that good for that size!! I got some off of ebay - that were close in price but not quite as big...almost. :(
Chantell

(Zone 7a)

Kathy - them thar's real beauties - thanks.

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

try touch of nature, I just got 5 big bulbs for 5.00, plus 7 S&H and there was no minimum requirement.

www.touchofnature.com

(Zone 7a)

Y'all, I really appreciate all your very useful feedback and commiserations. I'm sure anyone reading this thread not only appreciates that, but also the links, which I've saved in my favorites for next year. I pounced on a package of tuberose at Home Depot - very tiny bulbs, so expect that I'll just be fattening 'em up for next year's flowers. Fortunately, the moonflower vine will keep us company this summer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.