Sticky plants and teeny white bugs....what are they?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

I have some plants which I started a bit too early in a garage with grow lights. Now they are large, and their leaves turned sticky with teeeeeeeeny white things on the leaves, so tiny it looks like dandruff or lint. Looking at the specs under 50x microscope they are completely WHITE, some type of bug with either 6 legs and 2 antennae, or 8 legs. They don't really move, they just lay there!

Can anyone help ID this? Unfortunately they are too small to photograph.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

I want to know how to get rid of them organically. I've used Neem on veggies, but without knowing what I'm trying to kill, I don't know whether I should or not.

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Possibly whitefly larvae.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Should I spray it? The bugs don't seem to be moving, but they sure left a lot of sticky stuff behind!

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

definately, they can cause secondary bacterial/viral infections and the Honeydew invites mold. Note that those also could be scales.

http://okeechobee.ifas.ufl.edu/News%20columns/Soap%20Sprays.htm

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

There are also teeny flying insects of some sort which just seem content to just sit there even as you crush them with a finger. They ARE alive.........and do clearly have wings, but just don't fly or move.

somewhere, PA

can you wash them off? probably first thing to try.
Tam

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

They are amphids spray them are they will suck all the sap out of the plant.

somewhere, PA

Did you have a key stuck Oz? LOL

I think if they are aphids, you can just wash them off with water. (Spray them with water).
And they will suck the sap.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.