Lapageria rosea

Macon, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi all! I've posted one or two times on this forum. I'd like to share my lapageria rosea bloom -blooming all the way in frozen Illinois! I have it growing in a corner of my family room. It's blooms are usually pink and white variegated, although this one is all white! Thanks! Karen

Thumbnail by kabob
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Well, how sweet - thanks! If you decide to trade any cuttings, put me first on the list!

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I had never seen this plant, I love it, do you start from cuttings, or seeds and where can I get it from.

Doris

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

I understand they can only be propagated from seeds and from layering. Not an easy plant!

Ursula

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

Here's a link that might be helpful.

http://members.home.nl/hanninkj/lap_eng.htm

Macon, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks! I got my lapageria at the UC Berkeley Botanical Garden Plant sale in September. I also have another, that I paid way too much for, on ebay! The plant with the flower does have a seed pod, so I'll be reading up on that, although I understand that they are really hard to propagate. I don't believe that it can be propagated via cuttings, but I may give that a try (I'm hard-headed and foolish sometimes!) If I have any luck, I would be happy to trade some cuttings! Karen

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Way to go Karen!!! I remember when you went on your trip. It's a keeper!!
:) Donna

Macon, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Donna!!

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

Karen, I have one that I bought just before winter set in. I have had it in the greenhouse all winter, but I know it will be too warm for it come summer.
Do you have yours in sun or partial and how do you fertilize yours?

Thanks, Patricia

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Hey, Patricia! It's time to talk about trading again, PLUS I still have your goodies waiting for the weather to warm a bit. Email me!!!

Macon, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Patricia! Right now I have it in a corner of my family room, as I haven't been able to use my greenhouse this winter. Last fall, before it got too cold, I did keep it in the greenhouse - in the coolest corner I could find. It did seem to like it there. As far as fertilizer, I haven't fertilized at all this winter. If anyone has any suggestions for what kind of fertilizer this vine likes, I'd love to know! Karen

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

Thompson and Morgan has the seeds to this vine...2 colors-white or dark rose...

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I have always admired this plant, thanks for posting your picture. Is it a high maintenance plant?

Macon, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi PM! This plant has not been high maintenance for me. Other than making sure I keep it in a cool (not cold) location and watering it weekly, it's not been too demanding. It thrived in my greenhouse as long as it was cool, and has done ok in my family room this winter. I have two, a pink and white variegated, that is posted here (the blooms were all white this winter), and a red one that hasn't bloomed for me this winter. Right now I'm researching fertizilers, as, hopefully, spring is not too far away!!! Karen

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Well that is encouraging news, I was afraid they were particular & I knew it would have to stay inside cuz it gets so hot here, but I am notorious for killing houseplants. LOL
Donna

Nice plant there! I have tried germinating a handful of seed lots of this species with no success, I think I will just break down and buy a plant.

Joseph

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.