Cold frames

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

I first posted this on Containers but may have been wrong.... Anyhoo, My DH built me 3 cold frames to start my seed in so I promptly filled them, Now I'm wondering ~~Do I need to remove the covers off the seed pots and leave them open in the cold frames?? :o) TIA,Lauri

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

i forgot how to type :)

This message was edited Jan 13, 2006 4:51 PM

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Lauri, I would guess it depends on

1) what type of seed you are growing
2) how "tight" your cold frame is...

do you even need a "cold" frame in your zone :)

my gut feeling is that you would remove the covers off the pots assuming that the vented cold frame top is protecting the seedlings from rain etc...

charlotte

Lilburn, GA

Hi!

Yes, you should lift it a bit to avoid the seeds from rotting.

Oh, o.k.
1) what don't I have starting in there LOL from vegis, perenials, annuals,herbs.
2) it's snug, but does have some (little) ventilation.

Oh yea I need something and the cold frame will hopefully let me get a head start as we do get nites into the mid to upper teens here on occasion. I'll remove them as soon as it quits raining...again Thanks Lauri

Lilburn, GA

Good luck with your babies!

Thanks Spider, at last count I have something like 34 different varitys and several multi plantings. I'm hopeing for at least 1/2 to come up :o) Lauri

I dont have cold frames............................... isnt a cold greenhouse one big cold frame????????????? or am i wrong in that assumption???????????????? Hmmmmmm

LOL Mark.............I'd say ..yep you have a big cold frame....LOL.........Hugs Lauri

good....................... its not that big really!!!!!!!!
Only holds around 400 2tlr pots of crocosmia......................

Hugs
Mark

LOL only 400.........Hugs Lauri

yeah but then there are all the others that i put in the conservatory

Benton, KS(Zone 6a)

you might say "it's not that big" but for a "cold frame" it's huge! lol

You are right there misty............. its quite a small greenhouse 6' x 8', but thats one heck of a cold frame.........LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.