Cost of PVC hoop greenhouse

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm thinking of building a pvc hoop house and was wondering what the cost was for those of you who have already done it.

What size is it?
Is it better to purchase the parts at a local home center or from some website?
What mil plastic sheeting do you recommend?
What, if anything, have you used for flooring?
Any other tips you've gleaned through constructing your own?

I'm familiar with working with pvc as I've already constructed an arbor out of it. The photo I've attached isn't a very good one because the top is cut off. Maybe I'll try to take a better one. I was actually focusing on the fountain for this shot.

frausnow

Thumbnail by frausnow
Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks ScooterBug! Appreciate the links. I didn't think anyone was going to answer. Actually, I had already found most of those links here in the Greenhouse forum when I read through it, but I wanted to find out from those who had built their own what their cost and experiences were vs. purchasing one all ready to assemble. I wasn't very clear about that I guess. I was wondering if it's worth it to go through all the trouble of buying all the parts and building your own. Not sure how cost effective it is.

JoAnn

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

JoAnn ,we built a hoop house this past september using
the plans from one of the links ours cost us right around 175.00
total.I think it was 12 by 12 (not real sure) we had to modify slightly
for the area we where putting it in.The biggest problem he had was attaching the plastic we used the 6mil that wal-mart carries so far we`ve had no problems with it.we`ve only had a few cold nights but everything seems to be fine and it has alot of tender tropicals in it and we`ve only used heat lamps.Hope this helps.
Pheadra

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

Pheadra,
Yes it does help! This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I had checked out the 6 mil plastic at Lowe's and it costs $80. for 100ft X 20 ft. I didn't know if that was a good price or not and I didn't look at any other sizes. I'm not sure yet how large of a hoop house I want, but I know how I am...whatever size it turns out to be, it won't be big enough! :-)

JoAnn

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

JoAnn ,I think thats going to add a great deal to your final cost
our biggest expense was the lumber,we found the plastic at walmart for just under 20.00 you might consider the cold house
here http://www.poly-tex.com/pages/greenhouses/koolhouse/kool_options.html
I know from experience that it is very easy to assemble
and good quality.

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

JoAnn ,I think thats going to add a great deal to your final cost
our biggest expense was the lumber,we found the plastic at walmart for just under 20.00 you might consider the cold house
here http://www.poly-tex.com/pages/greenhouses/koolhouse/kool_options.html
I know from experience that it is very easy to assemble
and good quality.

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

This message was edited Jan 16, 2006 6:01 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.