Heuchera Lovers

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

I ask Dave's to make a forum for Heuchera and it fell on deaf ears. So I am going to start this string.

This is the one I transplanted and cut back. It is a Purple Palace.

Thumbnail by ozarkian
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Well, I'm in! Which Heucheras do you have, Oz? Just the Palace Purple so far? I remember reading in another thread that you're not too fond of Palace Purple, and that's one of the reasons you've cut it back, too.

In Dan Heim's new book on Heucheras, he wrote an interesting blurb about Palace Purple that I thought you might be interested in:

"The select form came from a packet of American Rock Garden Society seeds....these were planted in the Queen's Palace Garden at the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. Ensuing seed strains diluted the original flavor of this once vigorous, dark purple plant, replacing it with pallid, weaker plants that often reverted to green forms. These appear to be less sun-tolerant as well, turning to a very ugly pile of burned leaves by season's end. The original plant has been restored in the clonal selection of Blooms of Bressingham's Bressingham Bronze ('Absi') and Allen Bush's 'Molly Bush', and seed currently offered by Jelitto are of a superior heritage."

Sandy

This is 'Hearts on Fire':

Thumbnail by sanannie

Sandy I got purple palace running out my ears. They are going to DISAPPEAR one way are the other. May keep a couple. I think there are about 10 of the *^&&(%%%& things. going to be many different kinds by the end of this year.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Oz, Can't wait to see pics of your new purchases. I'll post mine too.

Sandy

I think i am going to buy some from that Forestfarm just to see what they are like. I know they cannot be as nice as the ones I buy at wine country gardens outside St Louis. Those come in 6 inch pots and are about halk as big as a and are about 1/2 again as big a a grapefruit. cost though fromn $9 to $12 baucks each

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Oz - Let us know how you fair out with your mail order trial. In my experience with mail order, the heucheras generally tended to be smaller, but if they were packed & shipped with care, and I took proper care when they arrived, they promptly took off and the growth would match the nursery-bought by the end of the season.

But all companies are different. That is the big factor, in my opinion - not the size of the plant. It's the condition it arrives in and whether they were packed well. It's the company that you deal with. That's why the Garden Watchdog is such a good feature here.

Sandy

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

sandy, i really like 'hearts on fire'. i put it on the wish list. i would like to find fantasia, ginger ale, mardi gras, mint frost, creme brulee, and peach flambe, plus hearts on fire.

HI OZ!!!

belinda

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Belinda - Hearts on Fire has a real strong pink and rose tone in the spring, I think you will indeed like it! Your wish list has some nice picks on it.. I have been debating about the Mint Frost, but I wondered whether it might be too similar to Green Spice, which I have. If I see it in the nurseries in the spring I'll be able to make a decision as to whether it's different enough.

Sandy

Wow how do you all know what I am talking about i cannot read my own darn typing and understand it. Anyway those at the place I buy are about 1 and 1/2 times as big as a grapefruit are more. Would you believe I used to spend hours about three times a week on this thing patrolling the internet and reviewing things. We bought a notebook computer and it is not good for a sausage fingers. Then I forget to check. Thats what happens to us old coots huh sandy.?

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Hey, I would prefer to be called an 'old cootess' if you don't mind! LOL

Sandy

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Hi All,

I will definitely be adding more Heuchera once I have the new beds in. I have about 14 varieties now,,,but they have so many beautiful new ones available.

Kelly

I have no idea how many we are going to add this year. I am sure it is going to be a bunch. Wife is going up for bowling tournament in St Louis on the 30th of March and I will be roaming around while she is bowling. There are two monster places in St louis that kind of plants. One is about 5 miles from where she will be bowling and the other the a winery out by Danial Boones home about 25 miles out. The one out carries 80,000 plants. covers several ac. you lilly people would go nuts out there and also anyone who likes Japanese Iris. This place opens for bussiness 1 April so we will be heading by there on the way home.

Here is a place very near St Louis that i bet many of you ladies would go nuts in if you were there.

http://winecountrygardens.net/

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

oz,

How fun,,,,Now you are getting like us,,,,ROFLOL Won't your wife be surprised when she gets in the vehicle and there are all those plants???? Are you taking your truck? If you do, I have a suggestion. When I went with a friend plant shopping, I took a bunch of plastic Storage bins with the covers. Worked slick to put the plants in and not have to worry about the wind ruining them in the back of my truck,,,,just a suggestion.

Kelly

We got a Ford Freestyle about a year old It will carry everything we buy with the seats down. No she will not be surprise she will be getting some on the way home. Jap Iris I know. what i am going to buy are several Heuchera when she is bowling. She is not interested in those to much.

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

oz,

my dh already thinks i'm nuts. you will have to let us know about wine country gardens. 80,000 plants would be like heaven. hosta and heuchera were the first plants i added to my garden. last summer i added 17 japanese irises to the garden.

We have been there several times. We are usually going through on the fly because were on our way home and it is close to 200 miles.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow, I just found this thread, that link makes me want to vist St. Louis again.

I have the old standard Bressingham coral bells and added Key Lime Pie. I planted my Purple Palace that is a little low and I think it may have drowned. I want to add Marmalade this year. The hummingbirds is one reason I started buying them.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

oooo, will have to exercise some restraint with Heuchera this year,,,I want so many of them,,,LOL

Glad you found the thread blue.

Kelly

Santa Barbara, CA(Zone 10b)

Here is Heucherella 'Viking Ship' from last April. I believe I got it from Plant Delights. They always have a great selection of heucheras, heucherellas & tiarellas.

Joooles

Thumbnail by jooolster
Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

A Heuchera Forum was set up on Feb 6, 2006. I checked, and it is now on the Forum list. Dotti

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.