winter shade

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

my shade garden in winter....there is an ongoing argument to try and get rid of some of these trees so I can see the lake in the summer...My husband always wins and we can barely see the lake in the summer. so I deal with lots of shade!

Thumbnail by levilyla
So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

It looks to me like a perfect opportunity for a compromise. How about some carefully planned pruning? I can just see the possibilities! You would still have the winter interest of the trees but be able to see your lake in the summer. Oh, I would love to bring my saw and loppers to this challenge! LOL You could enlarge your picture and agree ahead of time just where to make the judicious cuts?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

The one problem is that the tops of the trees that are blocking some of the view are on "Lake" property..this goes about 50 feet all around the lake. My DH says he doesn't want to go to jail and uses this as an excuse....well there are many more trees to be pruned or topped or just plain one cut at ground level that are not on lake property....o well the argument will start again this spring.

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

What a stunning view! I have a lot of shade here, too, but it's me who is always begging him to not cut down any more trees.

You could "accidentally" cut one at a time?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Believe it or not there has been a fair amount of pruning and tree cutting down in the past 30 years so you can imagine what it would look like if that had not been done! Still I long for more light.

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

I know what you mean. I started clearing a path through the woods on the west side of our property as a combination hidden path (Skip calls it "lovers lane") and short-cut to the fire pit. I love the wooded feel, but I want to be able to plant there. It is lightly dappled shade at best. I put in some fern, hostas, scilla, and early daffs last year. I'll be putting in more this year, hopefully some natives, as I clear more of the dead limbs and garlic mustard. It would be a lot easier to plant with just a bit more light, but I don't want to remove too much. This shot is when light is at a maximum in the early afternoon.

Thumbnail by sstateham
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

yes you could limb up and lighter that up a bit more. It will be wonderful...beautiful setting.

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

Thanks - by the way, the Phlox divaricata that you sent last year did fine through the summer, and so far appears to be wintering well. I can't wait until spring.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I can't wait til spring either...that phlox would do well in that setting and will reseed all over

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Can I jump in here and ask just how to take advantage of the phlox reseeding? I have some and it does well, but I can't say that it reseeds all over by any stretch.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

It is the woodland phlox...Phlox divaricata that reseeds all over. At least it does for me. Nothing particular that you have to do except plant it!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

That's the one I have. Maybe I should add fresh, loose soil under it when the flowers start to fade. Think that would help?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

No...just leave them alone and let them go to seed...they will turn mildew but just let them be and they will be all over the place.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.