Interested in a Fragrant RR?

Edited for extra postings. LOL

This message was edited Jan 16, 2006 12:01 AM

Well, I'm trying my best to straighten this mess out! Edited for *another* post. LOL :)
... Elaine

This message was edited Jan 16, 2006 12:06 AM

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

He, I think I will pass this one, as would say my DH, that was a sign that I have enough seeds for this summer LOL!
Who can get enough? LOL!
I wish you all a lot of pleasure growing your fragrant selections, and like The Governator says: Hasta la vista, I'll be back!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

You can make the cut off date or number of particpants any time you choose. You're organizing & running this RR, so it's up to you!

When a RR gets REALLY LARGE, I've seen it seperated geographically, people East and West of the Mississippi River. Yes, you would have to keep track of two envelopes at the same time, but it can and has been done. If you have don't have enough participants on one swap, a couple of other participants will need to be willing to switch sides. (Option #1)

Another idea is for you to decide who is in group #1 & in group #2, etc. Again, you have multiple swaps happening at the same time. (Option #2)

EVERYONE is required in these two options to notify you & other participants by posting on a new thread that you would start, when they have received the padded envelope with seeds and when they have sent it to the next person on the list. Also, state whom the envelope is going to next. This has been done before successfully!

Again, the decision is yours on how you wish to run the RR.

Lilburn, GA

So.....when do we start?

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Is there any room left?

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Put me down!

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Sorry it took me so long to reply: Dave's was sooo slow today that I gave up trying to post- LOL!

makshi and pins- adding your names!

Thanks for the advice Shirley!

spider, am waiting on some seeds to arrive so I'll have enough variety to get us started. Hopefully they will come in the next few days.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

I think 15 is a good round # . Don't want it to get too large and have to break it up into 2 RR's.

I've got room for one more person.

This message was edited Jan 18, 2006 7:22 AM

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

I think I need to clarify what we're doing here as there seems to be some confusion on the # of seed packs to trade. I just got an email asking if you have to put in 20 packs of seeds. Absolutely not!

You get the RR. You take out X number of seeds. You put in the same # of seeds you took out. I take out 3 pks I put back in 3 pks. IF and only IF you want to put in more packs than you removed, that is fine but totally not necessary.

I am hoping to get one more person to participate to make it 15. I am also waiting on a rather large seed order that I recently purchased. I wanted to get us started with a good amt and didn't have that many on hand.

I will try to keep everyone updated on the status.

Please see my above post [#14] where I have everyone's name listed. I want to make sure you're on it and if you don't want to participate please let me know ASAP.

Thanks all!
Debbie

This message was edited Jan 17, 2006 2:44 PM

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

I will participate if you still need one more. I will have to buy my seeds and would love recommendations of things that would be good to put in.

Let me know.

Sheila

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Sheila,
We'd love to have you!! I put you down.

I have now reached my limit of 15.

This message was edited Jan 17, 2006 5:15 PM

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Here are a few seed suggestions. Please anyone else feel free to give your input, as there are LOT of fragrant plants. If anyone doesn't know what these plants are, please ask.

herbs [any and all- LOL!]
lavender
garden/woodland phlox
zaluziansskya [night phlox]
dianthus
sweet william
carnation
petunias [espec older/heirloom cultivars]
moonflower
reseda/mignonette
Evening stock
'Regular' stock
virginia stock
passionvine/passionflower
Dame's/sweet rocket
sweet scabious
verbena
sweet violets & violas
alyssum
sweet peas [espec.older/heirloom cultivars]
Oriental lily seed
heliotrope
gas plant
4 o'clocks
datura
brugs
berlandier[chocolate daisy]

This message was edited Jan 18, 2006 11:27 AM

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Now that I have the 15 participants, here is the route I *think* it will take. Feel free to LMK what y'all think, or if this isn't right or logical- LOL!

1 Leave Braselton Ga [me]
2 LA [Heavinscent]
3 TX [shuggins]
4 CA [sheran]
5 OR [daisyruffles]
6 IN [makshi]
7 NJ [np]
8 MD [bluespiral]
9 MD [Shirley 1 md]
10 KY [ Defoecat]
11 TN [picabo]
12 Valdosta, GA [ I01]
13 Decatur, GA [pins]
14 Atlanta, GA [spider]
15 Athens, GA [frausnow]
16 Back to Braselton Ga [me]

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Okay, I have one request. I desparatey want to plant a moon vine. Would someone put at least one seed in one envelope and mark it with pins2006? I've never wanted one plant more, but there you go. (Am I out of line on this request? If so, I'll delete it.)

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

pins,
I'll be glad to give you one!

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

It sounds like a plan to me!

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Sounds good to me!

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

How long do we have to send it on after we receive it?

Thanks,
Sheila

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks.

Blue and shirley, please tell me which one of you should get the RR first. I want to send it the speediest, shortest way thru MD.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Sheila,
I believe the usual is 2-3 days, from what I recall of other RR's that I've been in. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Berrygirl,
This sounds just fine to me. Thanks for organizing this. I think this will be a lot of fun. I'm really looking forward to it. :)
Hugs&blessings ... Elaine

Since Blue Spiral lives about 15 minutes from me, it should only take 1 -2 days for the envelope to leave her house & arrive at mine. Blue Spiral can receive the envelope first, unless she will be out of town.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Shirley!

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Berrygirl, you didn't tell me in time! :0) I just got here, and it's closed. LOL Maybe next time.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm so sorry! I saw your other post- glad you will be getting some stock though.

(Zone 7a)

Bluespiral is a very hard-boiled skin-flint. Shirley, if you're in town, would you mind if I bring it over? I know your schedule is very tight, so I could just leave it with you - we're friends and I know you and I can be flexible with each other. Otherwise, I'll mail it to Shirley - no problem.

Shirley, the plants and cuttings you shared with me so generously last summer have transformed my kitchen into a green paradise - can't thank you enough.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, BG! :-)

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

You are welcome pins. BTW, it's more than just one little ole seed- LOL!

Aaww shucks! No problem!!

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

So BG when are we going to start?

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Heavin,
I am waiting on a rather large order of seeds to come in. I am doing this to get us started with a good amt of seed to choose from.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Sounds good! Just wanted to know when to start watching the box.
Thanks
Caren

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Oh believe me you'll know when it's on its way. I'll announce it with trumpets. LOL!

I will start a separate, new thread to let everyone post on the RR's progress, questions, etc...

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Disappointing update: the large [read many packs] seed order came today. I am shocked at the tiny amt of seeds in some of the packs. They were ordered from a place I had never dealt with before. No wonder they were so cheap.

I am waiting on another order fron flowerscent gardens.

I hope everyone will bear with me while I gather enough seeds to get us started.

If anyone else is waiting on a seed order to use in the RR, PLMK and I'll hold off sending it til you get them.

(Zone 7a)

I have a lot of seed saved from our 2005 garden and my order from Value Seeds has come in, but the longer you wait to start, the more interesting will be the selection of seed I can share - am expecting the catalog of The Fragrant Path to show up.

So, either way, I'm fine. But I'll bet I'm not the only one still musing over choices.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, that is really too bad then. Guess you get what you pay for. Sorry to hear that. I don't care what is planned. Just do what every you guys want to do.
Carol

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Carol. Live and learn right? I really would not have minded the small amts of seed had the order been just for my use, but I was counting on having more seeds to share in the RR.

Berrygirl
Don't worry ... this will be fun no matter when we start! Let me know if I can do anything to make it less stressful for you. :) I was planning to use seeds I already have on hand ... some I've received in trades and some I've purchased along the way. I'm with the crowd. :)
... Elaine

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.