do night scented stock glow in the dark?

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

i went out in the garden just as it was getting dark and my night scented stock seemed to glow in the dark, or is this just me??? i know they smell in the dark, but do they light up for the moths too?

me confused, lil

No they don't. White flowers (I'm assuming yours were white)give the appearance of glowing at night but its just your eyes playing tricks. In any event, flowers don't glow, that is to say, they cannot produce there own light, although certain mushrooms can.

jersey they're lilac coloured, but really looked like they were glowing! was weird! which mushrooms glow in the dark out of interest?

lil

They are called Jack o Lantern mushrooms because they are bright orange in color but at night will sometimes glow an eerie green.

wow that sounds mad, where do you find those?

lil

There is a flower that glows in the dark...I found this article years ago and stuck it in my garden encyclopedia:
"Magical Plant Shines
A magical plant is the springwort which grows in Germany in the Hartz Mountains. It blooms only beneath a fern, between 11 and 12 o'clock at night on Midsummer Eve. When the bells toll 12, it vanishes. Its flower is yellow and shines like a lamp."
Wonder if anyone else has ever heard of this?

A plant that blooms exactly at 12 midnight on midsummers eve, HMMMMM? I think it's called a fairy tale.

The mushrooms I'm speaking of are orange by day, thats why they are called Jack o Lanterns. There are other mushrooms that glow and they may be of a different color.

Do you think it is only a myth? I would love to know if anyone else has heard of this. I found one valid reference on google about it. It's an article about Hadrian's Wall, an old Roman ruin. One quote is: "The Roman remains themselves are home to lichens and lime-loving plants such as Springwort, and the loughs, or lakes, and mires are deservedly renowned as key-species habitats of high nature-conservation value."
Ths site is here:
http://www.ntenvironment.com/html/publicat/_publicat/preview.htm

What I should have said was that the story surrounding springwort is a fairy tale or myth, the plant itself is real.

i went on a school trip to hadrian's wall - just thought i'd mention it :)

lil

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.