Peonies coming up in Kentucky

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

My brother told me today that his peonies are coming up. We've had unseasonably warm bouts of weather and expect mine to show up anytime. Any body elses showing life? How will this effect them when REAL spring hits?

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

yes, my peonies are just peaking out of the ground.

I am a little worried they will freeze off when the ice and snow comes next month (it seems like it's been 60 degrees here all week)...

I am not experienced to know what will happen, but I imagine peonies are pretty hardy since they are so popular in the mid-west....

We'll just have to keep checking, I guess...

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Not good! Time to sing a lullaby.

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

Mulch like crazy. This is not good. :) I've been concerned about mine because of our 70+ degree weather, but I put more finely shreaded pine bark on the eyes, and they are still hanging in there. Even down here, we don't want that above ground growth this early. Good luck!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

OK, will do. Will get some mulch on them pronto. thanks for the advice! t.

Englishtown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Even if just the nubs are sticking up out of the ground?

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

I have some way past coming up!! Check this out

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

And this one

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

OH MY GOSH! Steve! I've never seen peonies that far in January. Thats either awesome or scarey, maybe both.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Another one

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

And yet another. Yes IsThisHeaven, they're even beating the daffodils and hyacinths. I have a bunch more which fortunately have not broken ground yet.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Look they're starting to open! Fern Leaf peony

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Steve, how are your peonies doing now?

Diann

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi Ticker

They're still doig fine thanks :-) They're at all ends of the spectrum in terms of how far along they are. Have some others ready bloom - I hope they hold off till after the weekend as it's supposed to get cold. See peony plant on left of picture

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

The eyes are just coming up on this one!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Well, I got my fingers crossed for you!! You always have such beautiful peonies and I'd hate to see them get goofed up by this crazy winter we're having. Keep us posted, ok? ;)

Diann

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Mine are breaking dormancy and today we have a 1 inch snow..

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Bluegrass, the snow won't hurt them. It's when they are naked and it gets really cold for a long period of time that does the damage. Or like when they are budded out (like Steve's) and we get a prolonged cold snap. Snow is really more like your friend because it insulates your plants. We haven't had any really good snow cover in Iowa since the first part of January...

Diann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.