Welcome!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

If you raise poultry or livestock - or want to, here's the forum for you!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

WOW! I really never gave such a forum any thought but now that it is here I'm so very glad someone did think of it. I'm certain it will be well used.

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

I used to raise all kinds,this will be a fun forum.:-)

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

well, you two [three], lets see some threads with pictures of your poultry livestock. i know you have pictures...

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Well I will post a couple of photos of my 5 year old flock of 3, They are large bantys, the kind that lay blue colored eggs, can't remember how to spell their kind , The rooster and one hen are mostly black, the other hen is brown. They just finished molting in early Nov. They were all three shut up in the chicken house all of Dec. because it was so cold. Just started laying again a week or so ago. I don't think the brown hen lays eggs, but can't be sure, as don't have time to check very often. The eggs are the size of what you buy when you buy small eggs. So if I am making something that says use 2 egg, I just use three. But usually I keep their eggs for eating and buy eggs for cooking.

They were so happy when I let them out of the chicken house early this week. But I may have to shut the door again, as it is pretty cold outside right now. Anyway here are a couple of pictures of my flock. The rooster and the hen outside in the scratch yard.

DonnaS

Thumbnail by rutholive
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

And here is a photo of the brown hen inside on the roost pole. DonnaS

Thumbnail by rutholive
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

i think its Araucanas, though a couple other breeds lay colored eggs:

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/poultry/index.htm

phooey, this link won't take you to a breed, click on chickens at the top, then use the bar at the left to go to Araucanas, Naked Neck Turken [got to get me some of those!], Faverolles, Dorkings. Funny, a poultry farm listed all thes as "tinted egg layers", but that info isn't confirmed at the edu. site.... and Ameraucanas aren't listed at all, i suppose because they are the American version or the Araucanas [i mean, we have bred them to look different, but htey still lay the colored eggs]

still interesting info. makes me want more breeds of chickens!

tf

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

well now i want one of THESE!

Australorps are good egg producers and hold the world's record for egg production with one hen having laid 364 eggs in 365 days under official Australian trapnest testing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.