some plant pictures

London, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

This is Lonicera x purpusii 'Winter Beauty' It has a nice scent not unlike Daphne odora sweet and spicy that wafts on the air.

Thumbnail by mattadeus

This is Daphne bholua 'Darjeeling' that opened its first flowers in London on Christmas day

This message was edited Jan 10, 2006 2:17 PM

Thumbnail by mattadeus

I really like the smell of wintersweet - Chimonanthus praecox. This is the variety called Luteus which has all yellow flowers. The scent to me is like jasmine with sweet apple and pear drops! Good enough to eat, in fact! Bring a twig into a warm room in a vase of water and its perfume is almost overpowering. Unfortunately the flowers don't last too long indoors though.

Thumbnail by mattadeus

This is a rare variety of Daphne odora. It's called Daphne odora 'Mae-jima'. It has much more pronounced variegation on the leaves than the ordinary Daphne odora aureomarginata. I think the flowers of all the Daphne odora varieties have the most intoxicating scent of any of the flowering shrubs. If I had to choose one fragrant shrub this would be it.

Thumbnail by mattadeus

Thanks for sharing. I'm going to read up on those. Can just smell them way down south! LOL :)
... Elaine

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Gee, and you take such wonderful photos too! I hope you're adding them and all your info to our PlantFiles? At the rate we're going all this great information will be buried soon! I always look first in the PF, and you're a great addition here! Another great thing is that we can click on your name and see all your photos again.

Thanks violabird, it's really kind of you. I wasn't sure if they were good enough for the plantfiles and so didn't consider it, but you've inspired me to have a go and see if they're accepted. Thanks again
Matt

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Matt,
Thnaks for sharing your info- and pics- with us! Your pics are great. I just recently got a digicam myself AND AM NO GOOD AT PHOTOGRAPHY AT ALL. I have also recently submitted a couple of pics. Believe me when I say if they pick mine, then you will have no problem- LOL!

Lilburn, GA

hi!

Matt, do you have a cottage garden? These are plants normally grown in them. Your photos are superb! I wish I could smell them!

Thanks everyone for your really kind comments about the pictures, I really appreciate them.

Anna, Many of my plants in London are subtropical and tropical and so I have to keep these in pots and tubs, depending on their size. They do go outside during the warm summer months, but have to be put inside for the winter. Consequently I don't really have a 'style' of garden as such, but just a collection of all the plants I'm interested in. One advantage of container grown plants though, is that they can be arranged effectively to look attractive, and then when certain plants have finished flowering, they can be moved elsewhere and something new can be brought centre-stage!! This way the garden always looks different throughout the year. I do try and use all the same colour pots and tubs - black. This keeps the effect uniform and stops the containers from diverting attention away from the plants.

Matt

This message was edited Jan 11, 2006 12:34 AM

violabird and berrygirl, I have taken your advice and submitted the photos to DG today. Wish me luck !!
Matt

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Matt,
That is fantastic!!!! But trust me, you need no luck as they are great!

Thanks again, berrygirl!
Matt

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.