Is there any such thing as:

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

I am learning about new plants that are fragrant that I don't know about. Having never grown or smelled peonies I didn't have a clue they were fragrant 'til tonight. There are a LOT of plants and cultivars that I haven't grown so I am going to list a few popular plants that I am wondering if there are any that are fragrant.

I HAVE grown these plants but were wondering if there are some that are fragrant that I don't know about yet:
Canna
Madagascar periwinkle/vinca rosea
Sunflowers[Iknow I'm dreaming here]
Sedum
Rudbeckia
Poppies
Morning glories[excl. moonflower]
Hydrangea

These are plants that I have never grown. Any of these fragrant:
Dahlias
Begonias
Tulips
Camelias
Glads
Ranunculus
Delphinium
Foxglove

THANKS ALL!! [and please don't laugh too loud at my ignorance]

This message was edited Jan 9, 2006 11:56 PM

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

I did have an orange-smelling tulip for a couple of years, but I couldn't tell you the name. I sadly gave up on them. I now grow woodland phlox instead, you should try it, it lasts a month or two and does well down here. http://davesgarden.com/pf/search.php?search_text=woodland+phlox&images_prefs=both&Search=Search I got mine from Bluestone--my 2nd favorite web nursery.

There are also some fragrant Camellias but they say they scent is not strong. and the flowers are small.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I remember growing a sunflower that was fragrant, but I can't remember which one it was.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Ive never grown it myself but there is fragrant Dahlias. http://www.dahlias.net/dahwebpg/Gallery/GalleryHtms/HyScent.htm. Flower Scent Garden sell the seed that may or may not be fragrant. Ive been asking around trying to find someone who has tried them with no luck yet. It is a good looking flower I may just get it for its unique look. Glen at FSG said they smell of chocolate very faint but still there and Wayne at Hydahlia said they were more musky he also said that Hy Argent Dahlia has more of a Sweet pea like scent. If someone has these I would love to hear about them!

London, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Hi berrygirl,
There are a number of tulips that have a distinct smell. One of my favourites is 'Bellona' and its sport 'Striped Bellona' The flowers have a wonderful scent of wallflowers (Erysimum) that is really delicious!!
www.lagergrens.se/tulpan/pages/Striped-Bellona.htm
www.jparkers.co.uk/images/new_products/A20037.jpg

Another really attractive scented variety is 'Princess Irene' This has an orange and apricot base colour with dusky purple flames.
www.flickr.com/photos/91441142@N00/11838090/

Here is a list of some other fragrant tulips that you might bre interested in:
www.flower-garden-bulbs.com/fragranttulips.html

Dahlias aren't ususally known for their fragrance but some hybridisers are now introducing scent into their new varieties. One nursery that sells them is Ferncliffe Gardens in Canada. They have produced a white single flowered hybrid called D. 'Hy Argent' which is in the 'orchid class' of Dahlias meaning it has petals rolled along their length. It is said to be sweetly scented
www.ferncliffgardens.com/images/Other/HyArgent.jpg
Fern gardens produces another scented dahlia in the same class called 'Hy Scent' although I couldn't find it in their current catalogue. www.members.shaw.ca/hydahlia/hyscent.html
www.ferncliffgardens.com/other.html
I'm sure though that this is just the beginning and there will be lots more coming onto the market in the future.

Re scented camellias, I have yet to find one that is strongly scented. Camellia sasanqua is said to be fragrant but rather than being sweet, to me it smells earthy. I have Camellia lutchuensis here in london which is a half- hardy species that is being used by hybridisers to introduce fragrance into the larger flowered cultivars. It is sweetly scented, smelling a bit like wild rose. But again, I don't know if it is my climate but the scent still isn't particularly strong to me. Camellia 'Spring Mist' is said to be one of the most fragrant of all the cultivars so that might be worth investigating, and 'Cinnamon Cindy' is said to have a cinnamon fragrance which sounds interesting.
This is a photo of 'Spring Mist'
www.camforest.com/cam-pix/SpringMist.jpg

and this is a photo of 'Cinnamon Cindy'
www.camforest.com/cam-pix/CinnamonCindy.jpg

www.camforest.com/camellia.htm#c-jap-sel

I also have these two articles on fragrant camellias in my files that you might find interesting:

One is about the fragrant camellia in Japanese tradition
www.shiseido.co.jp/e/e9803kor/html/text/kor05200.htm

and another is a list of all the fragrant hybrids
www.camellia.gulfcoast-gardening.com/selection/fragrant.htm

There are some scented begonias on the market and I plan to grow grow Begonia solananthera myself this year which does have a strong and sweet scent described as being like that of orange blossom,
www.begonias.org/greenhouse/bArticle.asp?ArticleID=34

but I haven't any experience of the fragrant hybrids although there are a few offered for sale. Here's a link to one of the nurseries that sells them
www.jacksonandperkins.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/productlink.d2w/report?superitem=30492&siteID=k2776&cm_ven=Affiliates&cm_cat=Affiliates&cm_pla=Shopping%2Ecom&cm_ite=DDI%20Link

Have fun researching

Matt

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I can't remember who's offering it, but I read in one of the catalogs recently about a hydrangea cultivar that is said to be fragrant.

London, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Hi Neal,

Hydrangea anomala ssp. petiolaris a climbing hydrangea is said to have lightly fragant flowers, as is Hydrangea arborescens or 'Smooth Hydrangea'

here's a picture of Hydrangea anomala ssp. petiolaris:
www.gartenspaziergang.de/kletterh2_s.JPG

and one of H. arborescens
http://pharm1.pharmazie.uni-greifswald.de/systematik/7_bilder/pios/pio00218.jpg

Hope this helps!

Hi, Berrygirl,
how did the links work out; were they of any use?

Matt

edited: to fix hyperlink

This message was edited Jan 14, 2006 5:16 PM

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Matt,
Yes they were helpful- thanks!!

Joe,
Thanks for telling me about MG I have always wondered if any [besides moonflower] were fragrant.

Germantown, MD(Zone 7a)

Heavinscent, I ordered the scented Dahlia from Glenn for this year. I will let you know.
http://www.flowerscentgardens.com/hemerocallisdaylily.htm

This message was edited Feb 1, 2006 7:39 PM

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Ree,
I am so excited for you! Hope it grows well for you- can't wait to hear how it smells!!

Germantown, MD(Zone 7a)

I will let you know berrygirl. I ordered quite of few "fragrant" plants to see for myself. I am debating on trying a 'hardy' gardenia. I love the scent but have not had much luch with them. I did read the other thread in this forum about the 'hardy' gardenias. I should not read the forums. It only makes me want more and more. LOL

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Yes, Ree, I would love to know about that 'fragrant' dahlia too. Keep us posted on if it really does smell and if it is worth it!
Being that dahlias are my favorite flower, I would love to have it being fragrant. Talk about the 2 best thing in a flower for me then!!!
Carol

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Yea I finally broke down and bough the Hy Scent seeds as well. Even if it dosnt have scent it is a very unusual looking flower. Like Ree Ill keep ya'll posted. I may even stuff a cupple in the up and comming RR. Glenn was a bit stingy with the seed which was a first. He often sends more than he says on the order form. When he said 10+ seeds he ment 10 seeds +1 lol!
I guess he got me spoiled saying 10+ and getting 20+. I not complaining Glenn in awsome I was just hopeing I would have more to pass on. Yea Im SPOILED!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the hydrangea info mattadeus. Those are both lovely.

I love the fragrance of peonies. Those blooms are so fun to bury your face in!

SE Arky, United States(Zone 8a)

I was given a gift of fragrant daylilies and I mentioned this to a friend that said there is no such thing as a fragrant daylily. True or false???

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

sherry, I don't think I have a frag DL myself, but they do exist. When I'm window-shopping, I've noticed sellers will post fragrant, noctural, rebloomers--whatever qualities about a particular cultivar. I bet if you google frag. you'll find them.

berrygirl, I thought ranunculus is frag. I planted some year year, will be able to tell you for sure this spring.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

I have a fragrant DL but you have to get you nose up in it. I can only tell you I got it a lowes several years back and it was taged as 'Prairie Blue Eyes' (not fragrant) but it is much pinker than the pictures I find so I think it may have been a mis-tag. It is pretty pinkish-Lav. with a yellow center.
Caren

SE Arky, United States(Zone 8a)

My thoughtful friend told me the name, which, of course, I've forgotten, and she said, not only is it fragrant, but it's everblooming from spring until freeze. I cannot wait to see it!! Thank you for your replies!!

Germantown, MD(Zone 7a)

I ordered some fragrant daylilies and iris from Glenn. http://www.flowerscentgardens.com/hemerocallisdaylily.htm
]Sounds like my garden will be a test garden this year. Move over bees...my nose is coming in for a landing. LOL
Ree

This message was edited Feb 1, 2006 7:40 PM

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

I think that somewhere along the way we should distinguish between plants that are fragrant in a nosegay kind of way, and plants that actually scent the garden. I think there is a huge difference and there should be some kind of code to separate them. The fragrant plants that I am looking for in this forum are actually plants that you can smell when you are just "in the garden". Plants like Hyacinth and Calycanthus, Jasmine and Gardenia. Does anyone agree?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I see what you mean ansofan. I do love getting wafts through the window or carried on the breeze no matter where I am outside. But I do enjoy observing every flower up close to; sometimes it's really worth it to have to work for it, lol.

I have a childhood memory of a fragrant yellow daylily that bloomed early. I think it was a lemon lily. I recieved some in a trade this fall, so I'm excited for spring to see if indeed that's what I remember. I recall the scent being lovely and refreshing.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

How about fragrant Clematis armandii, which is also evergreen. Check it out here. http://www.gardeningexpress.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=11367

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

This is funny but I agree with both anson and gemini! I like to have BOTH kinds of plants- those that you can smell as soon as you go outside and those that you have to get up close with. I am resolved to only grow fragrants from now on, excluding the non-fragrant plants that I already have in my garden.

gemini,
there is a lemon daylily that is very fragrant- h flava. I have one and hope this is the one you have, as it is great!!

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

Another thing about the fragrance thing too is that have you noticed that some years things smell so great and other years they don't, and also have a stronger scent at times. That makes it double frustrating lol. My four o'clocks can smell really wonderful, but this past year-yeaa, nothing hardly at all. Are all fragrant plants that way, or are there some that you can always count on. Sorry for all of these disparaging questions, but I really want to know.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I've found most fragrant plants to be a bit inconsistant. My understanding is that the amount of water and temperature are the most important things.

(Zone 7a)

On poppies, The Fragrant Path says that P. alpinus and P. nudicaule have fragrance. I have a feeling that you need to have your nose attached to these poppies before smelling anything, but I think when the sun hits a hub-bubing garden of all sorts of fragrant leaves and flowers that it's the gentle ones that lend a mysterious, just-beyond-the-ken fragrance that makes the more powerful, easily discernible ones more interesting.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

I've always found Hyperion Day Lily lovely scented, it may not travel far but at least I don't have to bend to it, lol, it's a tall one.
It's an oldie but goodie.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I have grown Lemon Lily (daylily) liliasphodelus many many years. But now that I look again in my Hemerocallis Check List for 1893 to July 1957, I can't find liliasphodelus anywhere, so i may have the wrong info written in my list.

The book does list H. flava Major as being very fragrant, introduced by Linn in 1762, BUT it is also listed at 36 " and the one I grow isn't nearly that tall. It is about 30 inches, and in all the many years probably 50 years that i have grown it it is always about 30" , a nice lemony yellow and very fragrant, so don't think it is H. flava major. Now I don't know where to go to get this question settled.

I did have a lovely very large Climbing Hydrangea petiolaris at my other place, and it was nicely fragrant when in bloom. I moved a piece of it here when I moved but it has been very slow to grow, and has never bloomed here.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I went googling, and for Hemerocallis liliosphodelus ( different spelling) it said go to http://plants.usda.gov. Baton Rouge, LA. Guess what my oldest son has worked for USDA in Baton Rouge for more than 25 years. So I emailed him to see what he could find out. What I really want to know is when it was introduced and by whom. I tried going to the http no, but couldn't find out what I wanted to know. Will see what if anything he finds out.

DonnaS

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

I found 3 different cultivers under Hyperion, Donna, couldn't bring up the name Lemon Lily or your last spelling. I like the site, not their search :( http://db.tinkersgardens.com/?script=3.1

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I also grew Hyperion, a good daylily, but different than the one I called Lemon Lily, larger and not nearly as fragrant.

DonnaS

Union Grove, AL

I have heard Hyperion called lemon Lily but it is usually attributed to H. flava which does have a stronger scent but the blooms are nowhere near as lovely

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.