scented geraniums

Lilburn, GA

I really love geraniums (pelargoniums) especially the scented ones. There are also night scented ones that have an incredible perfume. Does anyone here grow them?
Anna

Hi Berry!

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi back atcha!
I just tried them for the first time last summer. I grew one that smelled just like old garden roses. Don't remember the name right now but I def am getting more. Want to try the ones that reportedly smell like chocolate- Yummy!

London, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Hi Anna,

I do grow them, both the fragrant leaved kinds and the night scented ones.

Probably the best of the night scented ones is Pelargonium triste. It has hairy, finely dissected foliage and grows from a tuber that can become very large in time. It is not hardy though and requires frost protection in the winter and sharp drainage to keep the roots healthy. The flowers have an amazing scent at night quite startling when you smell them for the first time. To me they smell exactly like church incense. very spicy but with some sweetness too.
Here's a couple of links
www.mytho-fleurs.com/images/jardins_botaniques/meise/pelargonium%20triste_4.jpg
www.plantweb.co.za/Plant_Pictures/Pelargonium/Pelargonium_triste

Of the scented leaved linds my all time favourite is P. 'Mabel Grey' This has intensely lemon scented leaves not soapy or synthetic in any way but pure lemon sherbet. It has large palmate leaves and is a vigorous grower. In the summer it produces magenta coloured flowers with dark veining in the centre.
Heres a link to a couple of nurseries selling it.
www.linglesherbs.com/scenteds.htm
www.goodwincreekgardens.com/CatalogSpecific.asp?CatalogID=444

Another favourite is P tomentosum. This has soft furry leaves that are very nice to stroke - a bit like cats ear!!
The scent is of pure peppermint oil. Very refreshing! See the link:
www.plantzafrica.com/plantnop/pelargtomento.htm

Take care
matt

Lilburn, GA

Hi Matt!!!!

A fellow english geranium lover!!!! I moved from England to Georgia about 8 months ago. There i had a greenhouse with a collection of more than 150 pels. lots of species and scented ones that I grew from seeds I received from the Geraniacea group. Are you a member???

I grew pel triste from seed. What a perfume!!! I used to get most of my collection from Vernon nurseries. and some from small obscure nurseries in the middle of nowhere. I also collected hardy geraniums. Do you grow them?

Do you have a greenhouse? Are you completely addicted? I am trying to get a pel/ger forum. I posted somewhere in DG, I think on general discussion.

Thank you very much for the links!

Please keep in touch, Matt!!!

Hi girls!

Hi Anna, How about that!! Where in England are you from? I live in Forest Hill in SE London. I can't imagine how hard it must have been for you to give up your collection. Are you starting over again? I do have a greenhouse and could get addicted particularly on the tricolours and bicolours with the amazing colour variation in the leaves; the scented leaved kinds and those with scented flowers. Sounds like I'm addicted already LOL but I really have to watch the space available particularly for tender plants. I'm nearly squeaking as it is!! LOL
What made you move to the US? Have you adapted to the new climate? It must be an exciting new challenge with so many new things you can grow!
Great to meet you! Take care,
Matt

Lilburn, GA

Hi Matt!

The move was job related.

Yes, it was very hard to give the plants away but I gave them to a friend so she will take good care of them. I live in Little Hadham, hertfordshire. It is a hamlet near Much Hadham, the home of a very famous nursery, Hopleys.

The summer here can be very hot and humid but the rest of the year is so beautiful. the sun shines for most of the time and the sky is dark blue. During the winter there can be frosty days and even snow. But I will be able to garden outside for about 8 months in the year.

Yes, I know Hopleys well, I've bought some plants from them when they have attended the monthly RHS shows at Vincent Square in London. It seems you've definitely upgraded climate-wise!! Blue skies are so inportant to keep the spirits up! Much better than damp, grey and gloomy London at the moment!! To garden outside for 8 months of the year must be nice too. One of the reasons I grow tropicals is that they're active through the year and so there's always something of interest during the dark winter months.
Take care
Matt

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Hi Anna! Welcome to DG! You are right down the street (so to speak) from me. I live about 15 minutes from Lilburn and work in Duluth near Gwinnett Mall. You'll find that you can actually garden most of the year here if you choose the right plants. We have flowers 12 months of the year, not including the ever present pansies in winter. The only thing I hate is that inevitably during the winter months it decides to rain on the weekends when I need to be out in the garden transplanting. :-(

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Another scented geranium fan here. I particularly like the lemon & lime scented ones.

Lilburn, GA

Matt, I was a member of the RHS and used to go to their exhibits and also to Wisley where they had a plant fair once a year with lots of geraniums. I used to get them from Fir Trees nursery.

Hi Pins! A fellow Gergian! Where is this plant fair?

Hi Breazymeadow!

please, anyone interested in geraniums. put your name down on DG's thread about a geranium forum.

Anna, it's a small world! I work at Wisley on a part time basis as an advisor on plant identification, cultivation etc. My main work is as a landscape designer. Just can't get way from plants and horticulture!!
Matt

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Anna, the GARU will be at Dausett Trails. http://www.dausettrails.com/

It's about an hour south of Atlanta and is very beautiful. Here are a couple of threads regarding the Fall GARU that will give you an idea of what goes on.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/547279/

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/536542/

Lilburn, GA

WOW Pins, put my name down for that. It soounds lovely! Pity we have to wait until May...

Matt, so you are a landscape designer..... I did some weekend garden design courses with John Brooks. I also did the City and Guilds and the Open University courses in GD. I always wanted to do the one at Chelsea gardens but it was very expensive.

Gosh, so you've studied garden design! Were you thinking of making it a career at one stage? I didn't know that the O.U. offered courses in garden design. Are these degree courses? I understand the John Brooks courses are very good although quite intensive. A friend of mine studied with him some years ago, and now has her own pratice in G.D. She is now very successful, and was on the commitee of the Society of Garden Designers for some years.
I agree, Chelsea is very expensive - to compete you really have to seek sponsorship after your design has been accepted.I think competing in one of the major shows though, is still one of the best ways of quickly launching a career.
Matt

Lilburn, GA

Matt, it was the Chelsea Physic Garden garden design course, not Chelsea flower show. Gosh, i would never be able to compete there.

The Open University is considered a degree. It is done in the Arts dept. The City and Guilds was a 10 weeks practical course with a certificate at the end of it.

I only did the weekend courses with John Brooks. The degree ones were far too expensive. But I would have loved to do them. To me he is a genius!!!

Do you have any photos of your garden? It must be gorgeous!

Anna

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

I second Ana, we want more photos Matt!

And Ana, I've been arranging our plant swaps here in Georgia over the last 3 years. Do go sign up at the Swap Forum here http://georgiaswap.brugmansia.us/index.php and get your 'Wish List' started. Free plants are always better, and usually Georgia Grown! And Matt, maybe you could fly in for the swap--not impossible--we had a fella come in from Germany one year.

Carmen, are we doing the Garden Show this Spring? Where's Angie? Ana, you must join us if possible, we had such fun, especially with the Engish Tea!

This message was edited Jan 29, 2006 5:27 PM

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Does any one have a source for hardy geraniums? I got one at the Ky RU and love it, would like to have more. Any ideas?

Lilburn, GA

Hi Viola!

Of course I will join the gang. I put my name down on the website but i am having problems with the computer so I will try to check the lists tomorrow. I am sooooo excited!

Lilburn, GA

Hi defoe!

Go to www.geraniacea.com They have lots and lots of hardy geraniums and the owner is lovely!

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Ana, you MUST call me Vi!
Speaking of hardy geraniums I do have a lovely wild one that blooms here in the Spring, remind me if I don't list it on my swap list--alas, it's not scented!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Vi, of course we'll do the SE Flower Show. Last year it was so cool with the English garden themes and all the fabulous topiaries. This year the theme will be Italian gardens. I can't wait!! With a last name of Perrotta, how close to perfect is that?

Anna, I'd love for you to join us. (As well as anybody else who is in Atlanta that weekend.) Here is the website.

http://www.flowershow.org/

Lilburn, GA

Pins, what is the SE Flower Show? It sounds too dangerous for me. Is there a plant show? when is it? Does it have plants for sale? I can feel my blood pressure going up...

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

i'm a scented geranium lover as well, I have lots and lots of them in the greenhouse. and Always up for a new one, I've been looking for the strawberry scented geranium for a while now.

Lilburn, GA

strawberry scented? I have never heard of that one. will be on the lookout now.

Lilburn, GA

Sorry Pins. I missed the link earlier. It sounds great! I am definitely going.

Do they sell plants? It was not clear to me.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

It's a date Carmen, I'll tell Mike so he can bring a bib (or shave) for all the pollen, lol!
Saturday morning, I assume? Are you bringing your friend again? What about the Rose Lady, will she be there?

Ana, they do sell a few, hope they have more this year. I know they had Plumeria and a few others.

Please see my new thread on the possible co-op too!

Lilburn, GA

Hi Vi!

In which forum do I find the co op post? Thank you very much!

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

In this forum, so far http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/567901/
I need more fragrants (but need to find a job)!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Well, I highly doubt it really smells like strawberries, I mean, what do they smell like anyways LOL, But it is out there.

kathy

Hi Kathy,

The strawberry scented geranium you are looking for is called Pelargonium 'Lady Scarborough'
Here's a link to the nursery that sells it.

http://www.goodwincreekgardens.com/

Hope this helps you in your quest!!
Matt

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

WEll, now , there's one I haven't heard of, thanks Matt. will check that link out

kathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.