Weather anomalies, how are they affecting you?

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

As we begin another week here in the desert west of southern California, we will be having more very mild weather. While short winter 'heat waves' aren't unusual for us, extended warm spells are. Horses begin to shed winter coats prematurely, and our plant collections have begun coming out of winter dormancy. I briefly watched the weather in Cincinatti yesterday and it was above 60F! I'm curious to know how many of you are experiencing unusual weather, and additionally how this weather is affecting your livestock, crops, or farm life in general. While the warm weather is nice and pleasant, we're not prepared for an early spring and if we get a late cold spell, the horses won't have winter coats to protect themselves from Feb temps that often go down into the teens.

I'm just curious how many of us here are experiencing unusual weather this year. Last year we set rainfall records that were more than 100 years old. This year it looks as though we're in for another drought. As this discussion ensues, I'd also like to hear/read how unusual weather affects your yearly budgets. For us, the use of more water to irrigate pasture can run an extra 4-5 thousand dollars for the year, which is a budget killer of course.

Let's hear from others with similar or exactly the opposite issues. How many of you are experiencing more extreme weather?

hope all are well,
don

This thread has 56 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!