Potting Mix

Wauconda, IL

I was out today at plant nurseries shopping for plants with a friend, and I noticed this pre-mixed potting mix containing: Canadian spaghnum peat, vermiculite, perlite, and pine bark nuggets. I was wondering if this would be appropriate for Sarrs? I looked and looked at the bags, it didn't say anything about fertilisers being added. My friend said it might be okay. Any thoughts?

Sherwood, MI(Zone 5b)

It sounds like it would be ok to me, depending on the ratio of all the ingrediants. It probably would be cheaper though just to buy a bale of peat and mix your own media. But if you only have a few plants this sounds like it would be fine as long as it is free of fertilizer. I would wash it first also just as a precation.

Wolf

I was warned against using any Scott's brand potting mixes for my CPs. Dont' know if what you found was that brand.

I don't particularly care for the pine bark nuggets in a Sarr mix. I'd do what Wolf said and buy a bale of peat (Canadian peat) and mix your own media. Home Depot has had some nice peat lately. They are cheap enough.

Sherwood, MI(Zone 5b)

I just went to Lowes and got 2 bales of peat to start filling some pots in prep for the annual sarr repotting. I guess I am being a little bit adventatious for I have a couple of months before they wake up. But I had to get someone who could drive a fork lift to get the pallet of peat off the top tier in their garden center. After waiting 30 minutes for him and having numerous people ask me "What do you want peat this time of the year for?" I was more then frustrated. Next year I will buy my peat in advance.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.