Seed Starting in zone 6b

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

This year I plan to start my cole crop seedings the cheap and easy way, in the ground in a hay bale cold frame and some in earth boxes on my deck, covered of course. If I hope to set them out in late March, when would I need to start the seeds? Keeping in mind they will be growing more slowly than in a greenhouse. And feedback will be appreciated.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

8 weeks before transplant. I start mine Feb 1 or therabouts, but it is a lot warmer here.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Farmerdill do you just get one planting in because of the heat? With luck we can make plantings every two weeks till the middle of August. Sometimes the Broccli and Cauliflower will over winter and come on in March. Ernie

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I plant in late march and early April. Second crop goes in around the first of September up til the first of October. Usually 4 separate plantings. Rarely will it overwinter, But I am still harvesting this year, so it might. It will take temps down into the teens for a brief period, but occasionally we get get single digit temps and that takes it out. Never found a cultivar that will survive in July -August, so I am limited to the short season cultivars.

Thanks. I will try seeding around early February and see what happens. Right now I have the last of some broccoli and swiss chard growing in earth boxes on my deck covered with heavy grade row cover. There are still a few brave florets but the tips have freeze damage, no wonder as it's 24' here this morning! The last of the cabbages are in the garden under row cover and are similarly struggling, time to make some soup. I think I will try some rapid growing early broccoli and some later season, more heat resistant variety. Mine always bolt in the heat of Juy but I can always get a fall crop as well. Thanks again.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm going to plant my broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprout and cauliflower inside in about a week. Does anyone know if carrots and beets are better seeded direct or started indoors?

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

As the root is the crop w/ carrots and beets, you should direct seed them. Starting them indoors and transplanting would make for damaged or stunted roots. That's why you never see root crop seedlings for sale.

I agree with Zeppy, especially with beets, since they often are seeds clusters and have to be thinned.
BTW, while this isn't about seed starting, I did plant two short rows of Alaska peas yesterday and set out 10 discounted 9 count flats of pansies around the yard. For the most part, we have been having very unseasonably warm weather this winter and it's hard to convince me that Spring really isn't here and the worst is yet to come.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Oohh, roseone. That's what I'd call nervy. Crossed fingers for your seedlings!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Peas and pansies should do fine as long as the ground in not frozen.

Right now the ground is spongy with water. Of course it will freeze on and off for the next few months but I have nothing to lose.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.