"English Cucumbers" in the home garden?

Stephentown, NY

I am tired of being told that my cukes are not as good as the so called "English Cucumbers" widely sold in supermarkets around here. They come from Canadian greenhouses, are in a tight plastic wrap and fetch $2 apiece. The cukes are dark green, 14-16 inches long, about 2 inches in diameter and have small partially developed seeds. The flavor is bland, but they are crunchy and retain crispness well.

Does anybody know varieties and cultural practices that would allow me to grow these outdoors come summer?

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Stokes has a non hybrid called English Telegraph that is long and they say you can grow it indoors or outdoors with a trellis. This is a long slender type. They also have a cucumber greenhouse section of European types. I think that part of the greenhouse growing is to get the winter market.

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

I have grown this type of cuke for the past few years here in my zone 6b garden. For me they are very easy to grow, very prolific and have a great sweet taste and crunchy texture. They do seem too watery to use for pickling. Most seed catalogs have a few choices of this type so pick out one you like and give it a try. Good luck!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I grow Orient Express and like the fact that it is thin skinned and not bitter so no need to peel great for salids and if grown on a trelise it grows straight.

Lemon Cuccumber is very prolific and I like it to. Ernie

I grew japanese climbing cuc and had pretty good luck , being a true novice i was just amazed i got anything to grow.ahahahahha.of course my soil was a unnurished mess so nothing tasted good, but it was more for prep, for this yr. I tilled everything under and added Llama poop, my compost and some crunched up leaves along with some blood meal .Then this spring i will add last spring compost .Can anyone tell me if they have grown A&C pickling cuc or Double yeild cuc. I would like to pickle and can this yr.
thanks taynors

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

I have to admit that the one thing that keeps me buying the English - or "hothouse", as they're sometimes called - cucumbers, is that they don't "repeat" on me. I love cucumber - even use it as a cooked vegetable, particularly with fish - but just like raw green bell pepper, I'm tasting it well into the following day if it's the regular type.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.