Tree Help Needed

Northern, IN

I got this email and pic from my SIL and I’m hoping one of you can help her with some answers.

Quoting:
I have a challenge for you if you'd like to take it on. We have an evergreen tree in our yard which Paul started from seed when he was about 9 years old. It is now about 10 feet tall. We thought it was a Douglas Fir, so we named him Doug. But now I'm not so sure. I've done a little research, but haven't found the answer. There is no information about it in the Tree Encyclopedia you gave us last year either. My list of priorities does not put this anywhere near the top. So I had to give up my search. Another important thing I'd like to find out is how to propagate him. There are no pine cones. I don't think a cutting would take root. I'm attaching a picture in case you feel inclined to look into this. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Dave

Thumbnail by GoldenDomer
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Hi Dave. It's not a Douglas Fir but more looks like a Spruce (Picea). A more close-up would help. Cuttings can be done but can take a long time to strike.

Northern, IN

Thanks!

I’ll ask her for a close up shot......

I just broke the sad news that “Doug” isn’t a Douglas Fir. I’ll post the pic when/if I get it.

Dave

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

To tell Picea and Abies apart, it helps to know that spruce (Picea) needles appear square in cross-section, except Norway spruce with needles appearing triangular in cross-section, whereas fir needles appear flattened. Help?

Al

Northern, IN

Thanks Al,

I've already asked her for a close up of a "twig" and the bark. I guess I'll leave it that way with her (for now) 'cause I feel the pics could allow you experts to be more specific.

Make sense?

Dave.

Northern, IN

Also to either of you, does "strike" mean to sprout roots?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Yes.

Northern, IN

Thanks again.

She’s a busy gal so it may be a day or two before I have the pics to post.

The above just FYI only.

To both of you - your expertise and willingness to help is greatly appreciated. You make DG special.

Dave

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Wondering too what kind of a conifer tree this is. It's sure growing well and droops somewhat like a norway spruces branches with that snow on them.

cuckoo

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

My guess would be Colorado Blue Spruce, that isn't so blue.
I can't really tell the blue factor in the photo though.

Will

Northern, IN

Thanks cuchoo and Will - the more the merrier. It now looks like it may be Wednesday or Thursday before I get the pics to post. 9 year old Paul who planted this at the nurturing suggestion of his mother (my SIL) is now 22 so for 13 years he thought it was a Douglas Fir.

His reaction to the fact of suddenly learning it wasn’t what he thought it was, triggered a feeling in him somewhat akin to suddenly finding out at age 22 that he was an adopted child.

All the more reason for me to post the pics so you experts can be as accurately specific as possible.

Thanks again, I’ll be back by Thursday (I hope).

Dave

Northern, IN

Here are the pics for you experts to noodle. First a link to the tree so it can be viewed in its entirety without scrolling

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c143/dwdruley/DougAD933.jpg

Then this shot of the trunk/bark.

Thumbnail by GoldenDomer
Northern, IN

…and a close up of the needles.

Pat and I will await your response

Thanks again,
Dave

Thumbnail by GoldenDomer
Northern, IN

We would also appreciate any tips on rooting the hardwood cuttings. I successfully root Brugs with the cold water “Bubbler” method. Could this be used for spruce cuttings?

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

My guess is either native Colorado Blue Spruce (Picea pungens) or non-native Norway Spruce (Picea abies). In any case, both nice trees. The latter not being native but the former is.

My Dirr book on propagation says Norway Spruce is difficult from cuttings.
It says Picea pungens roots from cuttings.

All the Norway Spruce that I've seen was more pendulous that that. But that one is a fairly young one and maybe not being so pendulous (drooping) right now.

I'm assuming this is just a common seedling, nothing fancy.

If your into propagation, a must-have book is - Dirr and Heuser's The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation. (I'd underline the title of that book like its supposed to be, but html can't be used in the posts).

If you can get a good photo of the parent tree of that one and/or photos of a cone from the tree that would help to clinch an identification for sure.

Will

Northern, IN

Thanks Will,

I'll look for that reference. After a couple days of no response here I went to the ID Forum at
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/567629/ and now feel I have enough to keep me busy.

Thanks agian,
Dave

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.