floating seeds

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

I just put 5 different kinds of Daturas .
CG brug seeds .
Some 7 Crowns and Santa Maria seeds in water and everything- all of them are floating . Is this normal ? This is first time I have tried soaking first . 7 Crowns and Santa Maria are not Daturas

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

I would be worried if they were still floating 24 hours later. If seeds float in the beginning, it could be because of their rough shape, which keeps them from breaking the surface tension.

A while ago I read an article that said that floating and seed viability had nothing to do with each other. They had done a bunch of tests to see. After I read that, I deliberately planted floaters of various seeds. They came up. I was really surprised and am still suspicious of these results.:) I have had seeds that the whole bunch floated and when I cracked some open, they were obviously dead--the inside part was shrunken back from the shell.

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you .
I know the 7 Crowns , Santa Maria and charles G are fresh . I collected them myself less than 3 months ago .

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

the cork like stuff on the brug seeds make them float. i have not ever gotten one to sink yet. the actual brug seed is inside and if you are careful enough can peel the cork stuff off. the seed inside will be a pearlish white to tan color about the size of a small bead. me i am not that brave and just peel some of the cork stuff off them.

i have had datura seeds float too. i plant them and most of the time they come up.

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

Yesterday the 11th , the 7 crown had sprouted with 2 leaves , 2 of Datura's have hairy roots showing . Is this normal or is there a fungas growing on them ? Will post picture of roots later .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.