Question about stocks

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Mine are making seed pods, but the stalk of flowers is still blooming. Am I supposed to pinch these things, or just leave them alone?

Thumbnail by Calalily
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

A NEW FORUM ! ! !

Enjoy the new flowers, the seed pods need time to mature.
The seed will be ready when the pod gets tan colored and the shell cracks open.
Andy P

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

I just love stock, Im starting some from seed this year.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

I have tried sowing them several times but have had no success with germination. Any one want to give me some tips on sowing these? I'm gonna try one more time as I have heard thay are wonderful.

Warren, NJ(Zone 6a)

Thank you, berrygirl. I've tried them many times with no luck. I thought they just hated me! Yours are beautiful Calalily. Did you start from seeds?

No, I cheated and bought them in 6 packs. The nurseries here have stocks, annual phlox, blue bonnets, snapdragons, petunias and dianthus available in November and December.

Warren, NJ(Zone 6a)

Oh you are SO lucky. It's cold out. Still some snow on the ground and everything's dead but the parsley.
I keep my spirit up with gardening catalogs, my three amaryllis (amaryllises? amarylli?) and nursing my poor gardenia.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

I started mine last year in those little flat peat pots and put them in my mini greenhouse at about 75* till they sprouted. I dont think they need the heat but it didnt hurt! Kinda no fuss. Now planting them outdoors is another matter. I have never had any luck with that.

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

I would like to know more about growing these great flowers also, and I have also had trouble growing them in the past. Someone must know why and what how to fix the problem. The flowers are worth going to some trouble to grow.

I've never had good luck planting them in the garden, but they do good in pots. Since they're only for sale here in cool weather, they must prefer it. I plant them in pots, my mix is: potting soil, bunny manure, sand, composted pine bark chips and a little "real soil" tossed in for good measure. The pots are in mostly sun and I water them good once a week. They are in 12" pots, 6 plants to a pot.

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for your info Callalily, I especially love the "real dirt" ingredient lol. I wonder if the manure is the secret ingredient. I know some plants just seem to take off with one thing or another. I am certainly gonna try that this year (that is if I can find a bunny lol)

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

I have had some (not all by any means) last for up to two years. I just keep cutting them back. They were in areas that did not get all day sun. I let some go to seed and pinched others but it did not seem to make a difference.

Saint Augustine, FL(Zone 9a)

I have killed more stock than I care to admit, have only been successful with one spindley plant, which ironically, is now in full bloom here in mid-Winter (if you can call a 70 degree heat wave "winter"). All plants seeded or planted in garden died. Tried two white ones in containers on drip irrigation on a south facing (which is in shade in Southern summers) covered porch. One died, one lived. Smells wonderful, but your nose must be within 2 inches (I just measured) to catch the aroma.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I grow stocks every year from seed. I get Stocks incana Tudor Tapestry from Thompson-Morgan, 50 seeds $2.95. Last year I planted the seeds in what I call strip trays, also called 20 row tray insert. They have to be used with a waterproof plant tray. I bought mine 3 years ago and am still using them, bought 3 trays. I see they are listed in Harris Seed catalog, at 5 trays for $19.95. I use the trays for most of my seed planting.

Johnny's also lists the trays, but not seperately. Johnnys Pro-am seedling growers kit for $18.90, but includes only one 20 row tray along with other supplies.

According to my seedling records from last year I planted the Stocks seeds Feb. 5, 2005 using Sunshine germinating seed mix. Must have been too busy to write down transplanting date. Think I planted them out into the garden in mid-April, they are fairly hardy.

I really do like to grow stocks along a path in pretty much full sun that leads out to my veggie garden so get to see them and smell their great odor every day. If I can be of more help just let me know.

DonnaS

(Zone 7a)

Thanks Donna - Franks used to sell tall, large white stocks in big 6-packs that had my nose mesmerized as soon as I stepped into the garden. Your post has given me hope for success with seed this year, although it won't be that particular stock.

One great thing about matthiola incana is that it can be set out - in flower - at least a month before our last spring frost around here. I think I'll try your way with some of the seed when it arrives and also with wintersowing with another pinch of seed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.