cardinal climber

Coeur D Alene, ID(Zone 5a)

I just ordered seeds for cardinal climber. Are they easy to start/grow? Does anyone have any insight as to how big they'll get this season? Any pictures? I decided I'm going to try to grow lots of things that I never have before, but I'd like to get some info on them!! :-)
Thanks!

cambridge md, MD(Zone 7a)

Except for 2005 I have had cardinal climber in my garden , they grow well once it is hot , they spread like wildfire and if you want to cover a fence , an arch they are great, The hummingbirds love them and I watch them feast on the morning glories early in the morning and the rest of the day on cardinal vines. They last until frost which for me in MD is usually sometimes in November. I save the seeds year after year , and trust me you dont need many to be overwhelmed.Disregard the picture it is the wrong one.

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

Make sure you get the type of Vine that you want. Some companies list the Cypress Vine as a Cardinal Climber and vise versa. The Cypress Vine is the one with the ferny foliage.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Mine was labeled Cardinal Climber, but it has the ferny foliage, so it's cypress vine. It is now coming up everywere by the hundreds! The hummers like it too.

Denver, CO

The arguement for solely using latin names marches on.

(Thanks again, Ansonfan)

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

They are pretty easy to grow, you start them like morning glories: nick the seeds, soak them overnight, sow and watch them grow!

Phoenix, AZ

I just started seed, they are in small peat pots in a tererrium with a glass top and 75 watt plant light it has only been a week and half and they are 6 inches high. Mine also say cardinal Climber on the seed packet, but have the feathery leaves. This is my 1st time trying them :)

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

You will love them, they are flying jewels attracters!

Coeur D Alene, ID(Zone 5a)

Oh good! I'm excited!!

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Can Cardinal Climber be sowed in a pot and if so, would I pull all but one seedling? I think the seed packets I saw only had about six seeds. Do I need to start them indoors or can I just wait until it warms up?

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

and i have a question about cardinal climber too..........i planted them in the spring but they didn't start blooming for months. when do they bloom for most folks? they did take over but boy, what a show.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I found these directions on how to start Cardinal Climber (I. multifida) from seed. They seem to be pretty clear about it.

http://www.reneesgarden.com/seeds/packpg/flowers/cardinal-p.htm

Is this the vine you are talking about?

I did read on another thread to soak the seeds overnight before planting. And yet another tip was to soak them in a solution of hydrogen peroxide and (distilled, if possible) water (15ml to 1 liter) instead of just water. Apparently this helps germination and disinfects, too.

I am trying the seeds for the first time this spring, too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.