A few lilies at walmart

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

they are trickling in. I saw Stargazer, asiatic hybrid Sorpresa (white) and a few others. 3-bulb bag for $3 or so.

Also Amaryllis Minerva and Red Lion kits for $2.50; Naked ladies for $1/bulb

Corte Madera, CA

thanks, nery! they will soon be in costco then.

=)

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I grabbed some of the packaged bulbs while at Walmart yesterday!
Very affordable....

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm leery of buying their bulbs b/c of mislabeled roses I have gotten at Wally world. The prices are soo tempting though!

For those who buy them at WM: Are they usually labeled correctly?

(Zone 7b)

I bought 5 Amaryllis in early Nov to give to friends, and 5 out of 5 were labelled incorrectly - a record, as usually it's just one or two.
These were the individually packaged ones, too.
I don't know about other bulbs?

Hmm....so far I've never experienced labeling problems with any of the ones I have purchased over the past few years. But for 2.96 a package, I'm not overly concerned if I end up with an odd color. I'll just pot it up and give it away.

I've bought from them in the past and everything was always true to what it was supposed to be. I bought some star gazers and calla lillies last spring and everything even bloomed for me by mid summer. I was impressed for as cheap as they were. So, I'll definitely be trying walmart again this year.

(Zone 7b)

Maybe the frozen north gets the mistakes?:)

My stuff has always been accurate and I am w/ MerryMary, for the money, I would be annoyed but only for a few minutes...

Speaking of which, I bought two bareroot tree roses, $15 each, one is Iceberg and the other one Knockout. They also had bareroot shrub roses for $6-7. Didn't get any because I didn't recognize the names, I did see Knockout (I have), Mr. Lincoln, JF Kennedy.

Finally, I am super fortunate that one of the Walmarts I frequent is staffed with a few seniors, 3-4 of them are Master Gardeners. The manager is also an MG and she does a fantastic job taking care of her plants. Knows everything about everything. For Houstonians, I'm talking about the Walmart on Fry Road. That is the best!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Lucky you! I only have one gal at the local Earl May that I can really count on to know her stuff.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

That is lucky, voss. I have to race to our Walmart before they kill everything they get! The shade lovers go in full sun, the sun lovers go in the shade, and they are sloppy about watering. It always breaks my heart to see all those babies abused. A good price make me a lot less picky to.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I haven't had any mislabels with any of my bulb purchase at WM. In our area they did the final markdowns on the bulbs leftover from fall. All of it goes to 2 cents and then gets written off to zero as a loss and straight down the trash compactor. Luckily the garden center manager (I work at the store) knows that I garden and let me know so I could take and early lunch and load up. I spent 72 cents and took home 244 bulbs/rhizomes. I only kept about 6 packs and gave the rest to a friend who has a huge bare lot to begin landscaping on a tiny budget. The iris they get are so small and dried out that it will probably take 2-3 years to flower. I go cheap on Asiatics and most Orientals since I want the harder to find/more expensive species lilies. Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowe's and eBay help with immediate lily gratification so I can properly appreciate my more expensive splurges.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Wise spending choices. :)

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I bought a few boxed amaryllis at Walmart this winter as did my mom. We both bought 'Dazzler' which is supposed to be white. Hers ended up being pink. Mine put up leaves, but didn't bloom. 'Apple Blossom' is still struggling to grow (it had started growing in the box). So far, I'm not impressed with them. The ones I bought online from nurseries have done very well.

boo! sorry yours haven't done well. the walmart cheapies have done well for me. I find it amazing that one in a box would be mislabeled. how distracted/incompetent can they get? Dazzler should definitely be white.

I think some of the mix-ups are also done by shoppers! :)
The ones they offered this year were so fantastic, I went back and bought more!
However my best deal of '06(thusfar) was the deal I found at Lowes, boxes of Calla bulbs, 2 per box, including the pot and soil, for 50cents a box!
Whoooooo's your daddy?
:)
MerryMary

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Not to create a problem BUT Wal-mart does not package the bulbs or plants,when we get them they are already boxed packaged or planted.Brought in on a GM truck or plant truck.If you received the wrong bulb in the package please look on your box or bag for supplier information,sorry to jump in where I shouldn`t but I work for Wal-mart and I`m very proud of my store
Thanks Pheadra

georgiagarden, I was being opinionated, sorry. It is soooo easy to blame the big, strong guy! lol What you say makes perfect sense. If I'd thought about it before getting on the "blame" bandwagon, I realize Walmart doesn't grow, pack, hybridize, etc. and mislabeling/errors likely come for earlier up the chain.

I'm glad you posted and i'm glad you're a happy and loyal employee.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.