meyer lemon tree - blooms but no fruit

Mahwah, NJ

I'm pretty new to gardening and bought a small meyer lemon tree via catalog last year. While I'm happy to have kept it alive so far, it keeps blooming but never gets fruit. I'm in NJ so my tree is in a container and I have it under a grow light now. It looks really healthy--leaves are a deep green, but no fruit. Can anyone help?

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I had 14 blooms when the tree was only about 4" high. Those 14 blooms produced one fruit which I ended up plucking off because the tree was too young and little for it. This all happened while it was outside in the summer and I was watering every morning. I've brought it inside for the winter, but it's not under a light. If yours has been in the same container a while, it may need fertilization. Also my limited experience is moist, moist, moist soil. Someone else can probably help here. Good luck! Aren't the blooms lovely?

Mahwah, NJ

Thanks so much for your help. I'm going to try some fertilizer and keep a closer eye on the soil as well. And it can't hurt to cross my fingers too! You're right about the blooms--they really are gorgeous!

Fulton, MO

Mhroche,
I'm a relative newbie to citrus, but here are a couple of things I've learned...citrus like a fert ratio of something like 5-1-3. They are sensitive to both nutrient deficiencies and to salt buildup. You will eventually need something with trace elements and iron. Mine seem to like soft or treated (RO) water or rainwater. They benefit from a soil flush about every 3-4 months. They will loose or abort a vast majority of the blooms or small fruit, so if your tree otherwise looks healthy, be patient. Citrus is prone to root rot and needs a well draining, aerated mix. I use coconut husk chips:peat:manure in a 3:1:1 ratio.

I hope this is helpful. SB

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

mhroche...First, a Hearty WELCOME TO DG! Come on in and sit a spell!

As for your Meyor lemon, you'll love it once you get to taste the fruit! To encourage fruit set you might want to try watering it with some Epsom's Salt/water mix. (About a good tablespoon disolved in a quart of water will do it. This will provide the magnesium the plant needs to set fruit.)

There are some great entries in our Plant Files database if you'd like to read what others are saying about their successes, etc. (Scroll down to the comments sections.)
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/49905/

Hope to see ya around the site!
Shoe.

Mahwah, NJ

WOW! Thank you SB and Shoe for you helpful comments and the Hearty Welcome. I think I made a good decision to subscribe here!! I will definitely use your suggestions and I'll let you know what happens. With a little help, I may develop a green thumb after all =)

Fulton, MO

mhroche, I will add that there are some people that find Meyers a little temperamental. I haven't had too much trouble with mine, but others have. I use a teaspoon of Epsom salts "Plus" with 4-0-0 fert per gallon about once a month and I have had good fruit set.

This is a link to what I think is an excellent citrus nutrition resource:
http://www.agric.nsw.gov.au/reader/citrus/h2311.htm.

Citrus gardening can become addictive. Email me for additional links or other sites if desired. SB

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Sounds like you need some bees! I agree with Shoe, citrus need a "citrus specific" fertilizer. Trace minerals like zinc and magnesium help the tree to be able to use the iron properly, which it needs for fruit development. I only use a high quality "Citrus Fertilizer" and in my area, Central California, I give it to my trees in February, June & October.

K

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.