Favourite varieties of fruit and veg.

Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

Has anyone any favourite varieties to recommend to help us decide what to order this year?

My favourites last year were: Sweetcorn - Lark Deliciously sweet, early ripening and three
or four cobs on each plant even though
they are quite short plants.
Carrots - Amsterdam Giant - Which remained good in the garden and were still nice and sweet and didn't need peeling. I have picked the last ones today. They were from Lidl and very cheap!

Peas - Robinson - a tall variety from the heritage seed library, which crop over a long period and keep their sweetness even if you forget to pick them for a few days. Nicely filled pods too.

Climbing French Beans - Mr. Fearn's purple flowered - Also from the Heritage seed library (going in the Round Robin) - Very productive, if you keep picking they keep producing. They are good flavoured, stringless and freeze well.

Crimson flowered broad beans - from the HSL again. These are beautiful small plants and produce approx 5 inch pods of bright green beans, which are a very good flavour and keep their colour when cooked. They don't tend to get the tough leathery outer skins like other varieties. Also the flowers look very decorative and smell gorgeous. The bees love them.

Squash - Butternut - Plenty of fruits, a good size, thin skins and a lovely nutty flavour.

Tomatoes - Black Plum, Abraham Lincoln, Sun Gold and Amish Paste (see my reply to "Tomatoes, anyone" for descriptions.

Pat

I've not even given it a thought this year, I found out that my diet should be restricted in regards to certain vegetables, I now have a valid excuse not to eat Brussel Sprouts but it is a bit of a pain for other things and I'm still trying to work out a good basic food list.

We like Painted Lady Runner beans, I know it's not the most exciting variety but it's a good grower, very pretty, great for small gardens and the nectar seekers like it. We've also got some Relay which is similar in appearance. We also grow Crimson Flowered Broad Bean and I bought some Red Epicure seeds to try. Kinghorn wax and Brittle wax are good yellow podded dwarf French beans and we've grown them in containers, lower yields but that is to be expected.

I like Lambs lettuce, it has a nice mild crunchy flavour and doesn't seem to have the bitterness of some leaf salad veg. We've not been entirely successful with cucumber and courgette crops but I've got some Courgette Gold Rush seed to try for this year. I can't recall eating squash or marrow but we're trying some Patty Pan from Suffolk Herbs. I also got some Grandpa Admires' Lettuce to try and to be honest Great Lakes is a good, cheap and freely available variety.

We grow Blue Congo Potatoes, actually come to think of it we just don't harvest them so they tend to be a perennial in the borders because they have a lovely dark edge to the leaves and pretty blue flowers, bees like those too, we have tried them but I feel they do other things, like being relatively flavourless, an off putting colour when cooked but very pretty in the borders, much better. We've grown Cape Goosberry quite successfully here and it's reseeded before now so that might be another one to give a go. I personally dislike the taste of fresh tomatoes (I've been lynched on DG before for such radical gardening views so I'm prepared for the gasps of heretic ;) but still grow a few for the challenge of growing them and trying to find the oddities and because they get eaten by someone eventually. I'll have to dig out my current seeds but I recall seeing Yellow Pear, Silvery Fir Apple, Abe Lincoln and some from Hungarian varieties that I've had for too long really so whether they are still viable or not remains to be seen. We've got a nice stand of Jerusalem Artichokes at the back of the garden too. I've also got my eye on some peppers and tomatoes from POD among other seeds too.

Root wise I've got some carrots to try, Red Dragon and a yellow heritage type from Viva verde/real seeds we had 1 carrot plant appear the other year after removing some of the patio to make large borders which was probably a self seeder from Nantes which is a reasonable variety althought it seem to tend to woodyness. Beetroot, Detroit and Bolthardy are quite sweet, Chioggia has a good flavour too and is decorative and we're trying a white beetroot this year .... she said carelessly since it has yet to be seen if we plant a single veg seed yet LOL. I posted a recipe for Beetroot pudding in the recipe forums last year and I'd like to give it a try.

I'll have to go through my veg seeds and see what I have now, if you hadn't guessed already we like our veg to be decorative too since we don't have the space for a separate plot.

This message was edited Jan 8, 2006 1:00 AM

Thanks Baa, I recognised some of your varieties from the Real Seed Catalogue before you got to mentioning it. I've just been reading it from cover to cover and have gone a bit mad with ordering all the varieties I haven't tried before. They all sound so good. I had heard of them, but never got round to sending for their catalogue. I'm just going to look on their web site - www.realseeds.co.uk for anyone else who is interested.

I've just thought of another variety that has been a success this year - the celeriac "Tellus" from the Heritage Seed Library. It produced good sized roots with a lovely flavour that cooked quickly and was also excellent grated in salads. I'd only managed to get golf ball size ones before with other varieties.

The Pak choi "Mei Quing" from D.T. Brown was very good. It was delicious in stir fries, grew well and is still pickable even after the hard frosts. It looks slightly worse for wear now, but with cloche protection would still be excellent.
Sorry you have a food problem, but if restricting a few things in your diet makes you feel better then it's worth a try. I'm supposed to avoid acid fruits and foods to help my arthritis, and I know it makes a difference. The problem is I just love tomatoes, peppers and strawberries etc. so I eat and enjoy them anyway and acknowledge that my painful joints will settle down at the end of the season, and as I've said before, celery helps combat the problem.
A friend of mine has lots of food intolerances including dairy, wheat and oranges and since cutting them all out of her diet says she feels better than she has for ages. She just looks like a skeleton though as she was slim before. At least I know she isn't anorexic as she eats lots of other foods. Back to the seed catalogues.
Pat

I have a thyroid condition which is very symptomatic so it's a case of having to restrict Brassicas to once or twice a week which is a pain because I like cabbage, cauliflower etc, I have to avoid soy products too which so many processed food contains and I'm trying to focus on what foods I can eat. Trying to fill in the nutrient gap is difficult because until your metabolism works properly, you can't make up the shortfall very easily even with vitamin pills. If and when I can get the drs to send me to someone or I find one who takes this condition seriously, then perhaps the information will be easier to come by, so far I've had to find all the food information myself.

Real Seeds is a good company, I used to be a member of the HSL too but that lapsed a couple of years ago.

Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Baa..sad to hear about your thyroid condition and difficult too. I know it is not that usual to mention it properly as a specific ingredient in processed food because it is supposed to be non -allergic.. however many people, who does'nt have the problem you have, have digestion problems with the cabbage-ones...so it's odd.. But even if it is marked as causing allergic reactions...often there is 'nt a proper mentioning also.

Thanks for the link of Realseeds. The way how to save seeds I find very usefull. It's in my Favorites now.

I like to try new seeds of vegs... I have a few I cannot do without. I love bittersalads..so there's always a row of Misticanza that I can pick whole season and through winter. Yummy...I always have runnerbeans ..the big fat purple ones and sugarpeas, squashes and pumpkins. I 'm not so much a cabbage grower ..I grow only a few like broccoli and winterstuff like Brussel Sprouts. I love fennel...and the caterpillars of the Old World Swallowtail love this one too..i'ts an important host for them.This year I 'll try White Nine Star broccoli (Brassica oleracea), a perennial. I have a very small
lot at a community garden to grow a few. My healthcondition is' nt always that good ..so that's something I have to consider. But mostly in that case I get some help from other community gardners who are also curious what I grow this year. I love to grow perennial vegs like aspergus ..the green ones are easy...and artichoke, cardoon, berries (raspberry, gooseberry, white and black currant, strawberry), grapes ..For my new backgarden I 'm planning to plant a figtree ...probably Brown Turkey and I like to to try mini-kiwi (Actinida arguta)..
I find inspiration with this seedssupplier who has a lot to choose from: http://www.vreeken.nl/

Click "groentezaden" if you like to see what they offer.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

What a brilliant thread, thanks Pat!!
I'm just about to go and sort out my box of seeds ready for the sowing season, so will come back to make a post after I've had a browse and a think

Sorry to hear of your problem Baa, that's bad luck and very poor that you are left to sort through the food info yourself. I'll have a friend who might be able to help a bit - I'll dmail you :)

Sorry you are having such problems with your thyroid Baa. It is a pity the health service isn't more help. I gave up on them after my accident and worked things out for myself. I think a lot of doctors are afraid to say they don't know and they don't have time to find out if it isn't straight forward, so they just fob you off, or they just don't listen in the first place.

I like the seed supplier you've recommended Saya. I've never seen so many cucumbers and pumpkins. Aren't they wonderful shapes and colours. I noticed they have the carrot 'Ingot' I grew it last year and it is very sweet and grows nice and straight. Just reading about everyone's favourites is making me want to send off for more seeds. I don't think I'll have room for the ones I already have, so they'll have to wait for next year. My son is learning Dutch so he can speak to some of the people who go on his web site, so I'll have to ask him to translate the descriptions in the catalogue. That will be a challenge!

Isn't it satisfying to just go into the garden and collect everything for a meal when you have nursed them from tiny seeds. I must say that when I run out and have to buy them from shops I sometimes feel as if I am being poisoned when I think about all the chemical sprays they may have been subjected to if they don't have organic ones.

Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

I do agree with you Pat...harvesting my own vegs makes me feel very rich too...sooo priviliged.. and of course proud. If you need help with Dutch translation please just let me know.

I agree with the Runner Bean 'Painted Lady' that's always been my favourite too Baa
I'm trying the tomato 'Cornu des Andes' this year as I tasted a friend's and it was deeeelish!
Same for tomato 'Rose de Berne'
The curly kale 'Pentland Brigg' is a firm favourite too. It stands really well all through the bad weather and provides shoots of really tender new growth a little like sprouting brocolli, but all leaf no flower bud. Delicious!!

Will have a think of more later :)

Forgot - tomatoes and other old varieties available from
http://www.kokopelli-seeds.com/

Pentland Brigg from
http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/

oiartzun-near san se, Spain(Zone 8a)

I'm glad you said that about the "cornu des Andes" Philomel - I've just received some seeds from Kokopelli, ready for the RR exchange. I shall keep a few seeds for me, of course. Pat, look out for your share of these if you want some - you're straight after me in the RR, at the moment at least.
BTW, I am intending to add my favourites to this very interesting thread, but it will have to be tomorrow - it's late and I'm very tired and my brain is refusing to cooperate.
Goodnight all.
Maggi xxxx

I notice Kokopelli have sites in lots of different countries. I order from the French one whereas the link above is for the one in the UK. Do you have a Spanish one Maggi?

I don 't think there is a Spanish one - I ordered from the French one. There is more info. on the French site -I looked at both the UK and French sites but found they haven't translated a lot of the detailed descriptions of the plants into English . I decided to order from "head office", as it were. The prices are also in Euros there of course, which is easier for me. I love their "philosophy", and they seem to have a very good selection of organic, heirloom seeds. If I could afford it, I would become a better supporter,(ie. donate more than one Euro to become a "symbolique" member), and adopt a plant variety. Have you done this Philomel?
Maggi xxxx

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Patt I wish I had seen your preference for Lark, have already ordered Extra tender and Sweet from T&M, wasn't going to order from them but they had an Iris pacific Hybrids which Chilterns were out of stock, so put in a small order . I did well too, vegies aside I got the most expensive pack free, so ordered cyclamen persicum at £3.69, and for getting that one on the 2 pages an offer of buying any and get Datura seraticaula woth £3.49 FREE, so for buying one for free i GOT one for free! I also bought ipomoea Cameo Elegance, listed with the others but on an earlier page at the front, another free offer, from the listing page, but must have been out of stock of that, I. Split Persomnality, so instead have been given impatiens stardust Mixed worth £2.69.

So for SPENDING £10.55 + 99p, I got £9.87 worth free! Only expected the one!

Anyway, I decided it's time to try a carrot that doesn't get riddled with carrot fly, I usually go for Early nantes, and some years they get off wih little damage, others not. I am also finding many of the 'older' carrot varieties are just not performing well, like some potatoe varieties, I think they have had their day as many hybrids go downhill and have to be started from the beginning. SO I have ordered an AGM carrot, Syltan, long fingers, coreless, and good resistance to carrot fly.

They also have a delectable squash, kaboucha type Nutty Delica which I have kept seed from with variable results as a hybrid, so decided to get a new start, they by far the best I have tasted, they roast so well, keep dryish but not too dry, and just brown so well, the taste is ...well, you just have to try it! The size is just right for 2 meals for 2 people as well, tried Blue Hubbard, but unless you have a huge family......but it was good, 10.75lb, had 2 fruits on 1 plant, the 1st ripened well, 2nd OK but didn't wuite get the flavour. I find they need to be 3-6 months kept for the right flavour, perfect for when the carrots run out, like now! I also have grown parsnip Gladiator for the last few years, it performs where others would not. It is consistent, canker free, grows well in shady spot, and good mid-size roots of even shape. It doesn't have that over rich flavour some have, and are perfect to put a few in with your potato chips. Really good value for price, reliability, and space.

I get some seeds from Mr Fothergills, I know too many suppliers but they all have a gem, spring onion Ishikura, a perfect non-bulbing type, one sowing in spring and you will have spring onions right until winter, they even go through winter and can be used when they start to grow again in mild spells. Cauliflower Mayflower a great early, escapes the cabbage root fly, and prefers low nitrogen so will do well in poor conditions. In 2004 I followed this with Aviso, a really good sized, easy and tasy cauli, I did put root protectors to stop the fly then, and it seemed to work not 100% but mostly. I didn't bother last year, and yes they all got gobbled up. I get my parsnip Gladiator from them. Dwarf bean Ferrari has proven to be a reliable, easy, long producing and tasty bean. I tried them before, and went to another from T&M Nomad, in 2004, it did very well, didn't order from them in 2005 so went back to Ferrari. They just kept on producing until the weather turned nasty, I didn't have to make successive sowings, from 2 x 6' rows we had beans for months, and it was a cold summer, and they got a lot of shade.
From Dobies I have had cauliflower Aalsmeer, didn't bother in 2005, but 2003/4, ready in late spring, WOW! Sown in May, transplanted into ground after new potatoes ( a bit pushed but can work), ready late spring following year. Huge, compact, tasty, well leaved, couldn't be better, but again need protection from the fly. I keep asking myself why I bother, all the work, loss, cost, but am always drawn back to try them, nothing more satisfying than home grown cauli. Cucumber Natsuhikari from Dobies, excellent heat resistance, flavour, production in a greenhouse, trouble is I am the only one that ends up wanting them, still I AM worth it.
Potatoes, I dug up ground full of old tree roots and covered in poor grass in the shade of the conker tree, it is well over 100 years old, the soil looked the same! Since 1998 I have turned it from a black, lumpy, sour mess to a quite productve area. Lots of compost, I do use fertiliser, the ordinary general purpose 25kg bags, can't get the high potassium unless you know a farmer. Still, I get better crops every year, IN THE SAME SPOT. Since I have nowhere else I can grow them, and couldn't grow other veggies there, i have come to the conclusion that i need to grow varieties that are 1) disease resistant, 2) early filling. I get the first blight that blows in from who knows where, no-one else seems to be growing veggies around me, and certainly had not been grown for ever on my land, but I get ALL the fly, blight, but as yet no other potato problems. I used to grow Cara, but have come to the conclusion they are no longer any good, same with Marfona, so besides earlies I tried early filling newer varieties last year with reasonable success. Swift as 1st very early, always good and reliable for poss. 4 years, Charlotte as 2nd early, again always reliable and good producing for 2 years, they are ready just as the swift are finished. Just when the blight moves in! Next was Osprey, very impressive cropping in light soil, shady spot, AND before blight, otherwise would have been better, but lots of big spuds. Then Kestrel, not quite so consistent but lovely cara type and some did quite well, might try Picasso this year. Cultra is another cara type grown in Ireland, impossible to get seed of unless you buy a full half cwt by mail order, I have kept the 'best' for at leat 3 years now and have good results, but never get enough seed size from the ones that do really well.

Plants of Distinction do have sweet corn Lark, so might see if I can 'squeeze'??? another lot in, they also have parsnip Gladiator, and a pepper I grew last year, Georgia Flame, very good producing in a greenhouse for a cold summer, nice size and quite hot, I found them to be a good cure for my inflamed glands on my head, it has nearly cured it, and the occasional watering I get is stopped with some rubbed on, but only have a few left! Note: grow lots this year. They are also useful if rubbed on swelling around the ankle, on hives, it stops insect bite problems, and is good for eczema, also clears the sinuses (just from rubbing on the head!) The small amount of capsicain in it will penetrate the whole system.

Pat, if you want a low acid tomato with good flavour AND production, try Opalka, P o D have it, they are a large plum shape and hang in clusters, produce well, and are very meaty, very few seeds along the edges. They seem to have no problems like some, I kept my own seed from last year and they produced like, seed germinated very well. They are early too. There is something about them that says this was meant to be good for you, acid seems to be in the seed part which they have little of, but the flavour is really delectable, whether you fry, pasta sauce, or just want to eat one. The most perfect tomato I have found yet.
Didn't mean to write a book here, I hope some of this has been useful, the only thing I REALLY like to grow and can't find one to suit my conditions are peas, some have done OK, most don't like the shade. Any suggestion there greatly appreciated.

Janet

Forgot the runner bean, I used to grow Enorma, not so much luck here, 3 years ago I bought Enorma but didn't sow them, I saw a tray in a local garden centre of 12 x 2 plants for £1.69, hey why grow them! Streamline, they produced from early July until the end of October, they just don't stop until the weather forces them to stop, and they have good flavour, don't get stringy too easily. I keep seed from them every year, cheaper still!

That is a great list Janet. I will certainly try Opalka tomato. I have tried carrot varieties which are supposed to be carrot fly resistant and they all succumb in the end, so now I sow them in a bed with boards round it and staple enviromesh to the far side and part way down the short sides and make sure the free sides are carefully held down with bricks etc so I can lift it up for weeding and picking, but the carrot fly can't get in. I just could not grow carrots before, and now I have lovely crops. I sometimes throw a few slug pellets in too, as no birds or animals can get to them either.

My favourite potatoes are Lady Christl, Charlotte, Desiree, Kestrel, and Picasso is always a good cropper and fairly pest free. Last year I grew some Yukon Gold. They seem to like plenty of water and the ones in a moister part of the garden made the largest tubers. They have kept well and the flavour seems to get even better with storage. Very nice! I like the flavour of Maxine, but the slugs also find it irresistable and make a horrible mess of it. Ratte is a very nice waxy salad variety, and less knobbly than Pink Fir Apple.

I also like Mayflower cauliflower, it surprised me how fast it grew, as caulis seem to take ages to mature.

I've sent for some potatoes and seeds from Alan Roman's web site. The seeds are only 50p per packet, and he is the potato specialist. I ordered on line and was quite pleased with the price until the receipt came and I noticed the £6.60 post and packing. I'll reserve judgement until I've grown the plants.

Pat carrot fly can only fly within 2' i think of the ground, so i have thought of doing that, I tried marigolds once and I think it worked to a point, but I get lazy about it!

I would love to try many potatoes but if you buy them from catalogues they are twice as expensive, I did that once and got very poor results, ouch! Some were OK, from T&M, there was a French buttery type that did OK but was a bit diseased so decided not to risk it again. The cost of post is because of the weight of potatoes, but I live near garden centres that stock good varieties, pink fir apple too, not tried it, tempted but I try to go for a mix of productivity and flavour. Need MORE land, take up the conker tree, then no compost, impossible job anyway it's huge.
Flower beds STAY.
I didn't know Alan Roman had a web site, not potato seeds? You can get them, T&M have offered small seedlings of the unusual types, blue ones etc. Will have to find him. I often find seedlings growing from the 'tomatoes' on the potatoes, tempted to see what they do, never enough space.

Oooh fabulous Maggi, I have saved some seed from a tomato I was given of Cornu des Andes but am not confident that they will germinate so was going to order some from Kokopelli. I'll wait for yours to arrive instead, thanks :)
Yes, I joined Kokopelli, but haven't gone into the 'adopt a veg' thing.

Very interesting posts from you both thanks Pat and wallaby. I'm having to start from scratch with the conditions here - so it's one big experiment this year ;)

Philomel, if you want tomato seeds, you have to join the tomato Round Robin!! ; )
Seriously though, they only sent me 25 seeds, and I have to put a minimum of 15 in the RR, so it doesn't leave me many to play with....(thinks....it takes a while,LOL).....
OK, I'll send you 5 and keep 5 myself, but if yours germinate and mine don't, I'm coming over to your place to nick a plant or two!!
Maggi xxxx

Maggi, Has the tomato R.R. set off then? I'm afraid I had a blank moment when I saw all the rules and regulations she sent. I remember her saying the instructions would accompany the seeds, so I'll have to read them properly when it gets here.

I bought the book(catalogue) and some seeds from Kokopelli last year, but am having a change from so many peppers and tomatoes this year, and I have quite a few left anyway. I do like getting seeds from suppliers with a conscience though.

I had heard that the carrot fly can only fly to 2' too, but mine still got over the barrier, so it's total cover here to make sure.

Alan Romans' site is www.alanromans.com if you hadn't already worked it out!
Pat

Maggi, I only meant I would be next for the round robin after you - as you said - please don't send any others!! I have some others to replace them with. Ooops I've just looked back at your post and realise you were talking to Pat. Got confused as I think the RR is going the other way this time, so I will be next after you Maggi. Anyway, I shall order some from Kokopelli, that was what I had intended to do.

I was like you Pat and went into a bit of a whirl when I saw all the dos and don'ts on the tomato RR ;o)
However I don't have enough different types to join in this year anyway

Hilary, you've got me so i don't know if i'm coming or going-not difficult, LOL! Are we talking about 2 different robins here?(The European and the Tomato?) That might explain things! sorry to be so dense.
Maggi xxxx

Yes LOL Just me getting the wrong end of the stick - sorry, it's me that doesn't know which way is up :)
I shall join the tomato RR next year, if there is one. This year I shall get seed from Kokopelli - sorry to have misread your post, and please excuse me for butting in Pat.

I've been trying out the new rotovator and it's brilliant. I shall have to work hard on the area that has couch grass all over it, but the rest is coming along nicely. I bought the Kokopelli book - the french version, so that's good practise LOL.They have lots of goodies I'm interested in. I'd like to try some different squashes this year. I have some butternut seed, which I see you recommend Pat. Were the Nutty Delica from T&M Janet? Does anyone else have a favourite squash?

Yes T&M are where I got the Nutty Delica from. Mr Fothergills also advertise a kaboucha type, but no mention of Nutty Delica. It's possibly a selection, or maybe Mr F doesn't want to tread on toes! I had to go back to it, I have bought the odd Butternut from a supermarket and they are almost as good, there is just something that bit extra with the Nutty Delica, as the name suggests!

Thanks wallaby
I just looked on Kokopelli, but Nutty Delica isn't there, so will probably have to order from T&M.
Off to a chicken etc show today at Condom, so must get going :) Have a good day everyone. The weather here looks fab - blue sky (though there is a frost and a little ice on troughs etc)

Thanks wallaby
I just looked on Kokopelli, but Nutty Delica isn't there, so will probably have to order from T&M.
Off to a chicken etc show today at Condom, so must get going :) Have a good day everyone. The weather here looks fab - blue sky (though there is a frost and a little ice on troughs etc)

Thanks wallaby

There is a summer squash called Delicata - Cornell Strain in the Edwin Tucker catalogue, described as a specially selected strain of the much-loved Delicata squash, known as the sweet potato squash. Pretty elongated fruit. White with green stripes. Compact vine, ideal for small gardens. Good disease resistance and the yellow flesh has a delicate and sumptuously nutty flavour. Do you think this is the one?
I've put it on my list. We've just had some Penasco Cheese pumpkin for dinner. It was free seed from Kokopelli with my last year's order and that has a nice flavour. I wouldn't say it was outstanding, but they have kept well and the skin isn't too difficult to cut. The little lines down the skin help when cutting it up. I noticed that in one catalogue I think it was in Real Seeds, it suggests taking an axe to the pumpkins with really thick skin. I think it was talking about letting them mature enough to save the seeds. By the way, isn't it wonderful how generous they are with the quantity of seeds, and the fact that they give full information on seed saving from their lovely range of open polinated seeds. No F1s on the list so we can save lots of seed from everything we grow. They even tell you how to put rubber bands round the flowers of squash you want to save seeds from so they don't cross with any other kinds you have.

I do still really like the Butternut ones, and when you see them selling for 90p each in the supermarkets and your plants are covered in them, it does make you feel quite smug, and the supermarket ones have thick skins and need peeling, whereas the home grown ones can just be cut up and cooked with their skins on and are quite tender. They still keep well, as I have only just used up my last ones a couple of weeks ago.

No Patt that doesn't sound the same, this is a kaboucha type, (T&M missed out the 'u' in their cat.) It is a slightly flattened round one, dark green skin with faint paler marks down. Mostly about 3lb in weight, My soil doesn't support them that well, and shade, I might put a heap of compost in the middle of the lawn in a sunnier spot (no place is very sunny) and grow a few on it and call it art! They have made several small pumpkins only to keep one, a shame, but I'm sure they would keep more in better spot. The skin is very hard, and the flesh very orange and hard, but cooks to a fluffy not-dry texture. They also keep for 6 months, flavour improving all the time. It isn't too hard to cut them up because of the size, and peeling the skin off is like chipping bits off at a time, but I can do it. I have nerve trouble as well, easily get inflamed nerve sheaths in my hand. The big Blue Hubbard I found impossible, had to get my partner to do it, he had trouble! I suggested the chain saw!
link to T&M

http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/list/marrows-squashes/3

My favourite fruit and veg last year were - tomato - Cornu des Andes - Thanks Maggi -wonderful flavour - saved lots of seeds if anyone wants to try it.
Climbing French bean - Poletschka - good flavour, productive and still tastes good when cooked from frozen. This was from Heritage Seed Library.
Carrot - Giant Red - from Real Seeds - good colour and nice carroty flavour and keeps well in ground over winter
Winter squash- Galeuse d'Eysines - from Real Seeds - nice flavour, pretty colour, quite large, cuts easily and plenty of flesh.
And finally the cauliflower plug plants from T.& M. They were interesting colours, lime green, purple, orange and white. They all tasted slightly different and matured over a long season, I only cut the last white one last week. The lime green ones looked like the heads of Romanesco, but were on short stems like caulis. They weren't as susceptible to frost and matured later than the Romanesco. The variety was called Emeraude. The others were Grafiti, Arias and Experimental Orange and one other that I lost the label from.

Fruits that stood out were the fig Bourjasotte Grise - outstanding flavour
my sweet Cherry - Cherokee, the Cape Gooseberry, which is still flowering and fruits ripening, and lastly my baby kiwi fruit, Jenny. The pretty cream flowers smelt divine and I got nine small tasty fruits off it.

Oh and I can't leave out my Quince - Vranja - which fruited for the first time and looked beautiful.

What did well for you, or tasted exceptional?

This message was edited Jan 15, 2007 7:04 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.