Does ginkgo benefit wildlife any?

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I have seen many Ginkgo trees planted lately and I just don't see how they could benefit wildlife. Most trees planted are males, and the females have fruit that smells like vomit (so they say). I usually plant something that the birds,squirrels, or deer can benefit from. So are they any good for anything other than to look at ?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Since the fossil record reveals that the ginkgo was native to much more of the world than today, that suggests that something consumed its fruit/seeds and assisted in distribution. That something, unfortunately, millions of years ago probably "went the way of the dinosaur," and with some pretty bad breath.

Today, I consider that ginkgos can function for shade, transpiration, carbon sequestration, perches for birds, climbing/refuge for small mammals, nest sites for both, and places for kids to learn not to handle female ginkgo fruit.

Not all bad at that, AND with occasionally decent fall color.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I must admit that the fall color is good, even down here on the gulf coast.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

They may not do much for wildlife, but they are one of the top-rated trees for urban planting because they are able to thrive in a "sidewalk/asphalt" environment, & are not unduly affected by air pollution - & in fact, may actually be helping to reduce it. There are hundreds of them thriving all over Manhattan, & they're lovely.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Well, if you consider us wildlife.......

http://kitchen.thinkhost.com/blogs/mjh/2005/11/tiptoe_through_the_ginko.html

although you have to be careful as to how many you ingest.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Squirrels will eat the nuts, but I'm not sure it is worth planting a female just for that. Splendid ornamental shade tree though.

Scott

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

I looked up Ginko tree and enjoyed all I could read about it. Sounds like a unique tree that has stood the test of time. A very very long time! Go for it and plant some.

cuckoo

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I've read that Raccoons eat the fruit

Resin

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Hey, Resin, great to see you here!
Mike

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Yeah, hi Resin!

Adding to the plus side, Ginkgo does not seem to be invasive.

Guy S.

Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

Resin, you made it! I guess the whole GW group will be here soon...

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

I hope so -- all you GW alums go back tomorrow and bring someone else over from the Dark Side!

Guy S.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

I'm not ever going back...

Mike
Greenthumb from GW

Patrick3852,
What was your name on GW? I don't recognize your current handle?

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Breezymeadow., I was glad to read your post concerning Ginkgo being usefull for city street planting. I am a member of the recently organized city tree board. We are trying to decide on 3 good trees for street planting. One problem we have is that there are overhead wire in some of the areas of our small town, and so we have to be cautious about the mature heighth of any tree we plant.

As of right now we are considering Carpinus betulus Fastigiata I am a little worried that it might grow too tall too soon.

We are also considering Pyrus calleryana 'Chanticleer. and Fraxinus pennyslvanica "Patmore'.

Guy or any of the rest of you have had experience with any of the above as street trees.

We will probably not be able to plant any this year as we need to be appointed a Tree City and then try for a grant to be able to afford to do this.

Thanks for any help.

DonnaS

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

I would strongly discourage using any of the callery pear cultivars, and ash is likely to be killed by the emerald ash borer as it makes its way across the continent.

How about something like Ostrya (either the native O. virginiana or Europe's O. carpinifolia), or Cercis? They do not drop messy fruits and will stay low enough for mostr overhead wires.

But try to incorporate diversity, using any one species for no more that 10% of your plantings.

Guy S.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Rutholive,what about some dwarf oaks such as dwarf chinkapin oak, chapman oak, turkey oak, and there are some others. I can't understand why they are not more often used as street trees.

Fulton, MO

Small street trees...there is a thread on the Curb Appeal forum on this very topic...consider Acer buergerianum, Trident Maple?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Suggestion for Rutholive:

You ask a very good question. So good, in fact, it deserves it's own thread!

I've noticed the "stream of consciousness" that some threads take, and unless you happened to be interested in the original title or maybe posted on the thread before it took the tangent, you'd never see this kind of really good info.

Start one! Like "Current recommendations for street trees" or some such. Get that light out from under the bushel basket. Those who've started to contribute here can repost on the new thread.

My 2¢ (£0.011198): I'm not sure where Tonasket is, but I bet you have a slew of trees native to Washington state or environs that could be considered for street trees that are never used. Additionally, I'll add my voice to "thumbs down" on the Callery pear group (Pyrus calleryana and clones) because of structural defect and pest plant potential (read: invasiveness). If veering towards non-natives, the tree lilac group (Syringa pekinensis and Syringa reticulata) and smaller maples (Acer sp.) could be considered.

Looking ahead......

Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

Treelover, I used to be Phrago, but I changed my name about two years ago, long story. Since then, I have been overwhelmed by the care of two properties causing me to participate less than I would like. I discovered the GW in 1996. I hung out more on the Landscape design forum. My interest in woodies came on strong about 8 years ago, so I tended to lurk on the trees and shrub forums more than contribute. There are so many people that are well versed in cultivars that it makes for a very interesting read. I really appreciate all the information I gather from these forums...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.