Cannas and Confusion

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Hi a newbee here so please be patient....I have what I've been told are old stock cannas and naked ladies. I was giving them away left and right as they have multiplied over the years and were crowded, now they say not to to sell them instead. O.K. why?? Why are these so special? I found a pic of the ladies... TIA Lauri

This message was edited Jan 5, 2006 3:05 PM

Thumbnail by lauriwilson
Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi Lauri those sure are beautiful..I don't have an answer to your question,but I think most like getting old stock,with the cannas also...There were people on another thread looking for the old cannas..So maybe you can find out from them..Good Luck..!!!

Loretta...

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hi Lauri ~ I'm assuming that since you're in CA, you have something along the lines of Amaryllis belladonna. If you don't get an answer here, you might try posting your question again in the Bulbs Forum. Lots of good info there. Good luck!

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

That is the id Moby. We call them Surprise Lilies here.
Laurie here's a link to the plant file on them. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2377/

This message was edited Jan 14, 2006 1:15 AM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Or Naked Ladies. ;)

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Well yes if you say so. Where have I heard that before. LOL
Moby this is what we call naked ladies here.

Thumbnail by Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

And here are some of both in the non blooming stage which I call Naked ladies in training. The tallest ones are the belladonna. The shorter ones is Lycoris radiata. I think I have about 500 of the Lycoris.

This message was edited Jan 14, 2006 1:45 AM

Thumbnail by Georgiaredclay
Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Could this be Magic Lilies? I don't have any as I'm in zone 4, but I believe that the foliage comes up first, dies off and then the flower stalk appears sometime later for blooming. I've heard that these are almost indestructable. Someone told me years ago that after they finished blooming all they did was mow them down with their lawn mower.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

beak that is Magic Lily also. I asked my wife last night what the other name besides Surprise and she couldn't remember either. I told her she needs to start remembering so when I need to know I won't feel embarrassed.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I think it's the least she could do. ;)

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

keeping hand over mouth ,
being good girl ? MMMPPP

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.