DO NOT BUY

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

If you are going to buy Orchids I do not recomend buying from boergreen (Canada) on ebay, I orderd 4 from him three months ago, just got them and this is what they look like, every week he promised they were on the way, then they had to get permit, then they had to ship somewhere else first, well no need to ask for refund, I know what that answer will be, but be sure to read his feedback, just like mine for at least the last 30.

Thumbnail by kareoke
Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I'm sorry that this person is still in business. Also sorry that people like you are still getting ripped off. I hope people heed your warning. I'll add my own.....

I also bought from that person (I have been told it is a woman) 2 years ago. I was not an eBay orchid buyer at all, so this was my first and last eBay orchid experience. It was 100% BAD. Boer Green lives in Canada but she ships from within the USA (I believe it was Washington state). She did not send my orchids for 3-4 weeks after purchase, she did not answer two email inquiries or even follow-up after-the-fact. What I received stunned me!! Not only did I have unhealthy plants, but they were in extremely poor shape because this was ordered in October but not sent until late November. Of course, the plants were exposed to very cold weather. Not only was I out for the cost of the orchids (I bought 6), but the shipping was more than $25. The kicker was that the orchids were sent out in November in REGULAR US Postal delivery which was sloooooow and only about $9 actual charge.

I took photos, so here is my proof, too. (We should probably add our comments into the WatchDog files!)

Thumbnail by LynnCanGrowIt

Here's another Boergreen loser-orchid I tossed....

Yes, it was a sad day when I opened up that box of 'special delivery' orchids.....NOT

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I have added my experience to the forum. this was my first ebay experience for Orchids also, and like you the plants will not make it, she said they would send a hot pack with the plants to keep warm, well there was a little pack of cold charcoal in the box, a total rip off. all the leaves but one on mine were yellow, and decayed.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

This is terrible.

Out of morbid curiosity I went to the Boer Green orchid shop at ebay and it is now closed. It seems strange but I would imagine ebay monitors the Garden Watchdog and saw this person's reputation. It seems as though the Garden Watchdog is now an advertising tool for good companies as well. We just received out Select Seed catalog in the mail and they boast their status as a top 30 company on the GW.

Sorry to hear of your experiences, but I would say that for now Boer Green won't be ripping off any unsuspecting orchid enthusiasts. It pays to check the GW before ordering from almost anyone that isn't local to your area.

better luck in the future kareoke, and LCG, what prompted a veteran orchidist like you to risk it with this crackpot? I go to Andy's Orchids almost once a week to see what's blooming. I don't buy hybrids, but I have a few and Gublers seems pretty reliable. It's just a shame that with all the stigmas associated with the difficulty of orchid growing that there are people who would sell garbage and ship it like garbage not caring about repeat customers. As a beginner in keeping orchids, I'm astounded at the number of bad nurseries out there that treat these majestic plants like trash.

sorry for your losses,
don

Houston, TX(Zone 8b)

Shame on people who rip off others.

Fortunately, I've had pretty good luck with my few ebay orchid purchases, with a couple of exceptions. I bought 4 orchids from larrys_orchids about six weeks ago, and they're all still alive. They are kinda small, but I knew they would be for the price. At least they're healthy. The heatpack was actually still warm when the box arrived. Well packaged.

I got a couple of plants from canbyorchid. I won the auction for one small (very small) plant, and the seller offered free shipping on any additional plants. One is still alive (for now), but the other one died shortly after it arrived. I did't raise an issue with the seller - for all I know I did something to kill it.

I also bought a couple of paphs from some seller that is no longer registered on ebay. One is still alive and blooming, but the other one had some kind of fungal leaf problem, and I ended up losing half of the plant. The other half is still clinging to life...for now.

I bought some ceramic orchid pots from stg1238. He sells orchid pots, bonsai kits, and mannequins - kinda of a strange combination of products. But the seller was great. One of the saucers broke in shipping. The seller immediately responded to my email, and promptly sent a replacement. I love my orchid pots.

My last orchid buying experience was in Honolulu, Hawaii at Kawamoto Orchids (www.kawamotoorchids.com). Oh my goodness, that place was incredible! I didn't see any insects anywhere. They boxed up my four orchids in a box I carried on the airplanes home. Very well packaged, no casualties, and the Mtdm Hawaiian Sunset didn't lose its spike. It's blooming quite beautifully. The next time I feel the need to expand my collection, I'm going to probably order from Kawamoto. However, I've noticed all the good comments on the forum about Andy's Orchids, so I had to check out the website. Very impressive! I may try Andy instead.

Thumbnail by greenbud
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

kareoke,
you are not that far away from Hoosier Orchids in Indianapolis.
http://www.hoosierorchid.com/

Have you ever paid them a visit? It is a great nursery to spend a few hours - listen and learn and come home with beautiful and interesting stuff.

Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

This is one of the messages I received from eBay yesterday on an item listed by Boergreen.

------"Please be advised that the following auction:

7705013411 - FINE ORCHID MIX!! PERFECT FOR TERRESTRIAL ORCHIDS!

was ended early by eBay. The auction was ended due to the account suspension of the seller.
All results for this auction are null and void. "---------

Probably the only unfortunate thing about their closure is they did have good quality ORCHID MIX, much better than anything I could get around my area.

But------I think (my suspicion) they are like the Phoenix and have arisen as Canadaexotics as the Pictures, Descriptions and Shipping Charges are the same as for Boergreen.

Ken

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Well I certainly will look into the place in Indy, and I will stay away from
CanadaExotics as you are most likely right about who they could be considering they are in Canada also.

This thread is quite interesting. We should all consider being more active in the Watchdog because we all know that being informed consumers is to our advantage.

Regarding BoerGreen, Don wrote: "LCG, what prompted a veteran orchidist like you to risk it with this crackpot?" Well.....how about a 'momentary lapse of sanity'?? What about "this fool and her money were soon parted"? LOL

cambridge md, MD(Zone 7a)

I will not buy any plants on e-bay just on account . I like to know more about the company before I buy any orchids . I found out that ordering thru some of the companies listed in the national orchid society magasine was one of the most reputable bit and also going to flower shows that involve some of the local orchid dealers. I really miss Kensington Orchids from the Washington D.C.Area they were one of the best....

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have never been an e-bayer either.
Getting to know your dealer at Orchid shows ( translation - come home with lots of goodies) and word of mouth or the Garden Watchdog, all of those should help. Visiting Orchid nurseries in your area is always fun, if it is possible! Then, ordering online from them is usually fine.

Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

The problem with my location in eastern Canada is there are no local orchid dealers and no orchid shows for hundreds and hundreds of miles. So other than a smattering (hey how many white phalaenopsis do you really want) at a local hardware, grocery store or greenhouse, one must rely on mail order.

If only we did have local dealers and shows!!!!!!!!! Wishful thinking.

Ken

Drumheller, AB(Zone 2a)

Hi there,

I bought one mini orchid which was supposed to be in bloom size which it was not from him as well. The product was very good but anyway I went to check on his listings and found 125 negative feedback in the last 30 days or so and the next day I got an email from Ebay stating that his listings had been suspended so I guess he ripped a lot of people off!

This is so very sad! Give us Canadians and not so good reputation!

Joanne

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am sorry Ken.
I guess living in crowded NJ, 15 min out of New York city, has its advantages.

Ken are there many orchid growers in Canada? Are you able to do mail-order from Canadian growers? Are you in an orchid club so that you can do swaps with other members in your region?

Orchidfancy, I used to live in Maryland. I have been to Kensington Orchids, too, back in the 90s when he was still alive. I especially loved the subterrainean concrete canals running through his older greenhouses. The setting had a mystique to it!!

I was very saddened to learn that his business and property was sold for development.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ken and Lynn,
here is the Canadian list, if that helps.
http://www.orchidmall.com/plants2.htm#canada

Drumheller, AB(Zone 2a)

I have purchased from Bryon at Paramount Orchids in Calgary, Alberta and very pleased with what I have purchased. High quality!

I would not recommend Martin Orchids in Beaumont, Alberta....I spent a lot of money there in the Spring and some of the orchids had scale, burned foilage, very neglected. I should have refused the order but oh well. I just will not purchase from him anymore.

Joanne

Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

Lynn,
There are a few orchid growers scattered throughout the larger centers starting in Quebec City and going west to the province of B.C., but here in Atlantic Canada it is a drought. Many of these growers specialize which quite often makes there product more expensive. We did have one about 100 miles away, but they decided to drop the orchid aspect of there business due to sharp increase in heating costs predicted this summer.

The Orchid Society of New Brunswick (my province) has been bisbanded so I am pretty much left to internet and drooling over the lovely postings here on Dave's Garden. Being able to choose an orchid from a table is definite advantage and certainly more desired over mail order.

Joanne,
I have also done business with Bryon at Paramount Orchids. They are very friendly, helpful and personable at Paramount Orchids, I would certainly recommend them.

Ken

Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

Ursula,
Thanks for the link, the Canadian Orchid Congress also has many useful links.
http://www.canadianorchidcongress.ca/

"Canadaexoctics" formally "Boergreen?????" is no longer a registered user on eBay so they were only runing about 3 weeks.

Ken

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Chances are Ebay knew who they were by the address, I am glad they are not allowing people like this to continue to sell.

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

Is there a list here of bad sellers on Ebay ? I tried to look up 2 seed sellers - couldn't find on Dave's watchdog .

Vancouver, BC

I bid on item from CanadaExotics with the same ads and photos as Boergreen, day later they were "no longer registered". Received a e-mail from them they would be back online as they were misidentified by E-bay. They came back on , couple days later they were back to "No longer registered" status.

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Ordering on Ebay is safe enough if you take the time to check the seller out.If the person also has a nursery then it's off to the Garden Watchdog.If not,then read back through all the feedback to see how many repeat buyers are listed.People don't come back if they are disappointed.One quick way to check for repeat buyers is to compare the total feedback with the positive feedback number(assuming vey few negatives).If you see something like 100 positive feedback and 300 total feedback then the seller has many repeat buyers.As Martha would say,"that's a good thing".I like Ebay
because I find things there that aren't available locally.Case in point
I wanted Potato onions for my vegetable garden.Very hard item to locate but checked Ebay and there they were.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Watchdog can be a great tool if used honestly and without other personal motives behind it. It can be decieving in some cases. Use with caution. I was just reading on another major site where some groups of people have used the watchdog to purposely attack businesses to shut them down and for various reasons. There are those that pump up and purposely praise businesses only because they are friends with the owners even though they have never purchased a single item from them. I was really surprised at the number of times these things have happened in the past. Having been a victim of these attacks myself at one time I could relate and I felt so much better just knowing I was not alone. There is always two sides to every story.

This message was edited Jan 11, 2006 2:21 PM

Buena Vista, CO(Zone 5a)

Hello all!

I found this site (yesterday) because I had found Watchdog by using Google. I was so determined to have my say about a bad experience with an orchid nursery in Hawaii that treated me with complete disregard. I was so glad to find the Watchdog and was grateful to the others who have weighed in about their good and bad experiences. I suppose it could be abused, but it's a real public service.

I also complained to the Hawaii Better Business Bureau and to Google--since I had found the business due to one of their "sponsored links". I notice the ad has been taken down at Google, but maybe their contract just ran out or something.

Of course, finding the Watchdog led me to Dave's Garden, and after looking around a bit--well here I am.

Welcome aboard. Glad you came to the Orchid Forum. This is a great forum and it's getting busier allllll the time!

I have to say that the Watchdog has been helpful to me, although I am more prone to be swayed by personal recommendations by people I know and/or respect. Still, the Watchdog is a resource that I've used here.

Isn't Google a great search engine? I doubt most people realize all that can be found with Google. In fact, didya know that you can type in your Dave's Garden ID and get results?! Go ahead...try searching on your ID and see what you get!! LOL

Buena Vista, CO(Zone 5a)

....I tried it. Gosh; kind of scary. Old stuff from waaay back but not much new.

Drumheller, AB(Zone 2a)

Hello,

Here is a message I got from canadaexotics....apparently they have been investigated.

=======================================================

I am not Boer Green and ebay has already investigated me on that question. We did buy stock and selling templates from them which is why it all looks the same. However, you should not buy from anyone you feel uncomfortable about. Perhaps you should wait until we have some feedback for you to go on. Lea.

========================================================
It seems to me that the problems have all been with shipments to the USA as I did receive one orchid that I bought from her and it was fine and a friend of mine bought three or four and had no problems either.

I also noticed that this new gal only will only ship to Canada...I know with exporting from Canada to the US...product sits at customs for who knows how long.

I am not sticking up for anyone but there is always circumstances and I hope that canadaexotics is not boergreen as she has stated.

Joanne

Drumheller, AB(Zone 2a)

Hello,

Well the saga continues with canadexotics....I won an auction for two orchids yesterday and I never heard anything from her yesterday or today and I go check on ebay and it says this seller is no longer registered!!!!

I am just so grateful that I didn't pay because that would have been gone for sure.

Just wanted to let everyone know....I had a bad feeling about her but goes to show, go with your gut feeling.

I am so leery of anyone in Canada now...so very sad!

Joanne

Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

Joanne, check out this link I am sure there are many reputable dealers within this link.

http://www.canadianorchidcongress.ca/vendors.html

As for eBay in Canada I have purchased from tropical.gardens and have been reasonably satisfied with their product. Their listings are quite limited. They do have a Bllra. Smile Eri which is now on my wish list.

Are you far from Calgary and Paramount Orchids?

Ken

Vancouver, BC

Same as Orkidlady from AB, I bid and won two auctions and they are back to "No longer Registered". This is the third time this has happened to CanadaExotics since they first appeared 3 weeks ago Wish Ebay would sort this out. If she is a reputable seller with no affiliation to Boergreen they are sure giving her a hassle.

Drumheller, AB(Zone 2a)

Morning Ken and Bryanpl...

Thanks for the info Ken...will check out the link. I have purchased from Bryon at Paramount and very happy with what I have got from him as well. He can't ship this time of year though because of our winters.

I have a Psychosis Papillo coming from Tropical Gardens. I have been looking for that one for ages!

I don't know what is going on but I have emailed Ebay so will see what kind of response I get. I am sure her problem was with USA orders as I noticed when she came back the last time, shipping is only in Canada. I do hope that they know what they are doing or yes as you say Bryan, they are giving her a run for her money.

Have a great day guys and thanks for the input!

Joanne

Woodbury, CT

Venamy Orchids in Brewster, NY has a wide variety of orchids, well sized and healthy. DeRosa's Orchids in Natick, MA is also wonderful. I have bought several orchid bouquets and corsage, The corsage lasted 3 weeks. Great fun to visit.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Well, I guess I was one of the few lucky ones that bought from Boergreen without much problem -- probably early on in their listing on eBay. Boergreen had about 50 orchids listed starting at $0.99 I bid about $5 maximum on about 30 of the orchids that I was somewhat interested in getting, thinking that I would probably be outbid. I wasn't outbid on most of them! and I suddenly had to make room in my budget for an unexpected expenditure of about $100 for 25 orchids! All but one of the orchids arrived in good condition. Some of them were large enough that I was able to divide them, so I didn't try to get a refund on the one sick orchid since I had paid so little for them (around $1 - $5 each). Many of them have bloomed for me and have been consistent in their flowering. Too bad the company went downhill. I think that may happen a lot on eBay, though -- A relatively good seller gets overwhelmed with selling too much, too fast and the quality of the product and the customer service deteriorates.

I'm glad I got in early with Boergreen!

I've consistently received good orchids from jeffsflasks on eBay and from individual growers that have divisions of their plants to sell.

Jeremy

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Jax you were lucky, I spent $50 with them for three orchids and all were like you see in my picture at the top of the page, none of them made it. and it took them three months to get the order to me after several emails.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Yikes! kare. $50 is a lot to lose on an eBay deal! It would seem Boergreen's early promotion of orchids starting at $0.99 was maybe a method of establishing some good feedback and then unloading dead orchids later on. Really sorry you got burned so badly in that deal. Have you checked into the provisions of eBay's "Square Trade" policy (or whatever they call it), or if you paid by credit card or PayPal, refuting the charges with your credit card company. Most credit card companies will refund money on such bad purchases without much trouble.

Jeremy

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I did have an on going inquiry with PayPal then I ended it, said it could take up to a year to reconcile so I told them to drop it.

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Jax...It appears that jeffsflasks is no longer a registered user on ebay. Darn...as it looks like he had good product and great prices.

Deb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.