Dahlia 'Akita'

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I just got my White Flower Farm catalog and came across a picture of dahlia 'Akita'. It looks like a chrysanthemum! Has anybody grown it? Does it really look like this?

I haven't ordered from from WFF in years so I am surprised I am still on their mailing list. I keep their catalog for eye candy and sometimes it has useful tips on growing particular plants. In my experience their plants are way overpriced and not particularly good quality.

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/40936-product.html

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Candy,
That dahlia looks interesting.
I like mums anyways. Have quite a few to fill in for the fall color.
But that dahlia is expensive at almost $9!
But if someone has it, maybe they can share with you.
Am glad you posted. Was wondering how you were doing since haven't seen you here on DG lately.
Take care, Carol

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Hi ladies. That's a beauty for sure. Big sale is on here, and a better price for Akita even without the sale! These are really reasonably priced. Wish I was as good of a general shopper as I am for dahlias LOL.

http://www.americanmeadows.com/bulb_detail.cfm?itemid=916

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I have seen that one for sale locally I think, it's nice.

This link I use for pictures.

http://www.langeveld.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.listdetail&listID=6

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I am still in the land of the living (barely). I have Seasonal Affective Disorder and winter is definitely not my best time even with my light box. Central Ohio winters are very grey, although not as bad as Issaquah! As the days get longer my energy levels will increase, thank heavens.

I have also been trying to fend off the nasty respiratory bug that is going around (so far it is a tie) so I haven't been very active or productive. I did walk around and look at the beds today. The corydalis are looking good and a few primulas have some buds. The hellebores are putting out their new leaves and the snowdrops should be up soon. I am always amazed that some plants stay green even when the temperatures get below zero.

I read on another thread that you are all keeping a close eye on your tubers. It sounds like most of them are doing well; that is welcome news for sure.

Now I will go look at those links you posted. Looking at dahlia pictures always makes me feel better. LOL

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

There's your cure Candy: my light box is my computer monitor and unlike the sun, it works 24/7! We have now crossed 16 inches of rain in just 2-3 weeks. I looked at my garden beds with waterproof boots and rain gear. For about 30 seconds. They look soggy and slimy. They don't look inviting whatsoever. Certainly not as bright as the many dahlia websites. The moss and fungi are doing marvelously however. I am always intrigued by the fern's ability to seed/spore itself 80 feet off the ground and prosper.

Hope you feel better soon and you will- the days are getting noticeably longer. I try towalk the dog a bit to get out, rain or shine, and try to catch a tan LOL! Recently I think I am only catching fern spores!

And now back to dahlia shopping.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.