Pruning question (Spruce)

Hope, BC(Zone 7a)

I can't seem to find any info about this anywhere else here at DG (though I am sure it is here somewhere in this vast expanse of gardening know-how)...
I recently purchased 2 small (about 1- 1 1/2 ft.) "Jean Dilly's" Dwarf Spruce trees, with the intention of pruning them into spirals and keeping them as small container trees. I am wondering if there is any special technique used for spiraling? Where do I start? Top or bottom? Will I need some tree cut sealer, or will it be ok if I just prune them while it is still winter(to avoid excess sap flowing)???
Anyone have any experience (good or bad) spiraling trees that I can learn from?
Any advice or thoughts would be much appreciated!!!

Portugal Cove-St. Ph, NL(Zone 5a)

I thought pruning/topiary was done on living - growing tissue. With spruce, I can see a problem ..... cutting into old wood....... Topiary is not my 'cup of tea' but we have a lot of fir/spruce here, and I have pruned the current year's growth on Mugo Pine......

Do not snip until you know (!) what to expect.

Bill in SE Newfoundland

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Searched specifically for information regarding spiraling but couldn't find any. Some info I found that may (or may not) be helpful:

DWARF ALBERTA SPRUCE- a perfect accent...
The dwarf Alberta spruce, Picea glauca, is an excellent plant to make a formal or semi-formal statement in your landscape. Because it has a tight, upright, compact form, it gives the sense of stability and will make a good backbone to your garden during all seasons of the year. The variety known as ‘Conica’ is a dwarf Alberta spruce, but can reach as high as twelve feet, although the growth rate is only a couple of inches per year. Because growth is slow, it is suited for spaces where you want to maintain a certain size plant. This makes them ideal for topiary or spiraling because only light pruning and shaping would be needed to maintain their form. The variety known as ‘Jeans Dilly,’ is also a dwarf and grows up to two-thirds slower than other picea glauca. These make excellent formations in rock gardens and smaller spaces for year round interest.

This is a link with interesting information on pruning/styling: http://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATPiceaPruningstylingandwiring.htm

And found this website with "experts" where you can ask a question that might be helpful.
http://experts.about.com/q/735/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.