WINTER SOWING

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Ok im going to start this one: Everyone can share their knowledge here-im looking this info up cuz I have no idea but
so many have ask I thought Id get this started.

What is Winter Sowing?
I HEAR it really is very easy to do. But this will be my first year trying this method.

Winter Sowing is an easy germination method. During Winter seeds are sown into mini-greenhouses that you can make yourself from recyclables. I like to use styrofoam cups. Milk jugs and 2liter containers are great. Another thing that works great are those containers that you get at your favorite eatery. Meijers has some great ones that the cakes come in!!! This time of year everything looks like a growing pot to me!

First select what seeds you want to use: Some terms you might want to look fo when getting ready to start:

Needs Pre-chilling (freeze seeds, refrigerate seeds, stratify for x amount of day or weeks)
Needs Stratification
Will Colonize
Self Sows
Sow outdoors in early Autumn
Sow outdoors in early Spring while nights are still cool
Sow outdoors in early Spring while frosts may still occur
Hardy Seeds
Seedlings can withstand frost
Can be direct sown early

Getting started:

Wash your containers out good! Hot water n soap, you can add a splash of bleach!
Get some tape and lable the bottom of your containers-or sides. I use plant markers inside containers
Make a few slits in the bottom of the pan,this is for drainage.
Fill the pan with soil to about a half inch from the top. (not sure on what type of soil)
Give it a real good watering and let it drain for a lil bit.
When the pan has drained, sow your seeds and pat them down covering the seeds with more soil if needed
***For tiny seeds just sprinkle them on top of the soil. I dont pat small seeds I spinkle a dusting of seed mix over them and then I mist them.
Now make some slits in the top of the container and place it on top of your seed container
Now we are ready to take it outside to somewhere it will be safe for the winter.(dont want the animals running all over
our lil containers!
Now you just wait and watch and wait and watch and wait and......... :)
When the weather warms the flats will freeze and thaw repeatedly as SPRING approaches. This action of freezing and thawing out helps loosen the seeds coats. You have seen the term "nick or file seeds prior to sowing" in germination databases: this is to duplicate the natural work that mother nature does.
well now mother nature has to do her job again!
The seeds know when it's safe to come up. Now is the time to check the moisture in your containers. On a day when temps rise above the freezing point,take a look at them and if they look like they need some water give them some. Excess water will drain. Cover tightly and keep your eyes peeled for your new babies!!!.

Good Luck and add anything you want to this thread!

This message was edited Jan 9, 2006 10:30 PM

Gladwin, MI(Zone 4b)

This really sounds like fun! I need to do something garden related, because I am already getting "cabin fever," and we still have a long way to go before spring. I need to go look at my seed catalogs and figure out what I could plant. Do you use potting soil?

Marilyn

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Dori......I have heard from other friends who are gardeners and they have used this method, and like magic, they say the seeds germinate....I am going to try my hand at this since I harvested so much seed last year.

The method you discribed is exactely how I have heard it done.

For those who have digital camera's lets take pictures and watch the progress.

Deann

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

In the past I have done a lot of winter sowing. I have the light units to grow the plants under. They do well with the strong light close to the seedlings. If you don't have a strong source of light the plants will become spindly and lanky. Also, don't get too eager to start the seeds too early. I did that the first year and found it difficult to hold the plants over till the end of May when I could set them outdoors. Most seeds I don't even think of starting till April. Of course you have to look at the germination times on the seed packages.

For new varieties of annuals I made up my own method of planting because the seeds were very very expensive and I didn't want to waste even one seed. I used the peat pots, soaked them in water till they swelled. I used warm water. The seeds were so tiny.........like dust. I poured them out into a white cup and used a toothpick I had barely damped to pick up the seed. It would adhere to the toothpick and I'd carefully set it down in the well of the peat pot. I'd gently cover the seed if the directions told me to. Using this method I managed to germinate all my seed. It is much easier for me to do it this way than to just sprinkle on open soil and then do the tedious task of thinking seedlings later. Moving the seedlings sets them back a bit I think also. I would also put an ocillating fan in the room with the plants for good air circulation so they would not get the fungus called damping off disease.

It is a lot of fun to do this and it is also an economical mething of growing a mass of plants that you may wish to border a new bed with. Seeds are much cheaper than plants always.

My problem I have now is that I have this huge lighting unit buried somewhere in the pole barn (we just moved) and no place to put it in this tiny house I live in now. :( I may turn my bunkhouse into a growing room for my plants, but not this year as my son and daughter in law are staying in it till their house is ready.

Brenda

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

brenda you are talking about growind seeds indoors arent you-i do this too

winter sowing is for outdoors getting lil greenhouse domes ready to take off as soon as winter starts to subside to spring-a more natural way that I have never ever tried!!!

Im not sure as to soil! i would think that any kind would do-from seed starting mix to regular garden dirt.

any info welcome!!!

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I don't have a greenhouse. The only sowing I've done is when I just broadcast seeds that need to go through a frost cycle to germinate well. I've broadcast seeds like poppies and sweet pea before. Now that I'm using Preen I probably won't be doing direct sowing in the ground.

I may construct a cold frame someday and do some direct sowing in the vegetable garden. Is that what you're talking about?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

here is a link of the contairs for winter sowing
http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/Q_What_is_Winter_Sowing.html

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi deann,notmarha or anyone that can help me out.I planted some lily seeds in a pot now they are about 6 in.high can I plant them outside now,and leave them in their pots with the plastic over them?Or any suggestions please..TIA..

Loretta..

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I don't think I would put them out. If they get too tall you can trim them back.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i agree! I think the cold would hurt them.

Thanks for the answer,with all the lilies the two of you have I will follow your good advice...Thanks Again..!!

Loretta...

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

I winter sowed about 80 containers last year. It certainly gives you something to do while waiting for Spring to show up. And I've started already this winter. (just 4 containers so far.) It's a great way to start perennials.

Some things I learned:

Buy the good potting mix/soil.
LOTS of drainage holes. The containers/plants I lost were soggy. Larger containers were more successful. clear gallon milk, water or juice jugs, the smaller ones didn't do the job for me. Did I mention lots of drainage holes.?? GardenWeb has an forum dedicated to Winter Sowing with helpful FAQ's.
Don't be stingy with the seeds.

It was fun and many neighbors stopped by to find out what the heck I was doing ! !

Scotts, MI(Zone 5b)

Well my goodness I just can't believe this winter sowing can be done. I have seeds from Deann that I am just itching to plant. I was going to have my hubby set me up something in the basement with a grow light but this winter sowing method sounds so easy and economical. I think I will try it will part of my seeds, I would sure hate to lose any of these seeds. Thanks notmartha for the good idea. It is hard to believe that these little guys won't freeze with all the harsh weather we have here in Michigan. Of course this January I think we all could have planted outside it has been so much like spring. A lot of my bulbs thought it was too, they are trying to poke their little green noses out of the ground. But I have read that they know how to handle themselves in this kind of weather, we shall see.
Lynne

Scotts, MI(Zone 5b)

I have a question? I just bought four plants of pampas grass (pink) from ebay, they came with the roots wrapped in plastic and the green part has gone dormant for the winter. A few green sprigs are on there. What can I do with these until this spring when it is warm enough to plant. That was silly of me to purchase those this time of year, what was I thinking?? as Dr. Phil would say!! Help with answers???

Lynne

Scotts, MI(Zone 5b)

Me again..........did Dave's Garden change the tabs on tob of this website. It seems to me there used to be a tab that said Forums or my Forums, I don't see it anymore. ?????
Lynne

Scotts, MI(Zone 5b)

Deann,
Is your chia pet growing yet? which one did you get for Christmas? I still chuckle over that but the rest of your gift was sure nice!!!
Lynne

Deann you got a chia pet??Have fun with it and smile..!!

Loretta..

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Im not sure but if it was me I would pot up the grass and put it in a sunny window!
If you want to get to forums click on subscription at the top of the page and you can get to all your stuff and forums there!!!

Scotts, MI(Zone 5b)

thanks for the info and advice notmartha, I will pot up my pampas! I did some poking around on this site and did find some of my old forums. I will do it your way, sounds much easier. Lynne

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi guys.....have not been around much on dave's to see what ya all are doing, so forgive me for being late in answering your questions....I promise I will put this on Watch and keep up.

As for the Chia pet....It's the lion from Madagasga....and it was growing in the back ok but not in front. Been doing everything they say to do to grows this stupid thing...and its not happening....they give you enough seeds to replant at least 3 times, so may start all over again....my recommendation....don't waste your money....Actually it was a Christmas Gift from my DH but also in the box was $200.00 in Cash for my spring and summer garden for this year....so I can't complain....

Loon, winter sowing is done outdoors...Just try a few gal milk jugs and see if you like it...if you do, you can do it next year...with your green thumb, you can get anything to grow.....

Deann

Thumbnail by deann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.