Will this work?

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Only the roots are in the water and the rocks are holding the amaryllis bulb out of the water. The bulb was a gift from a friend (Thanks Critter!) so I don't want to kill it! The roots were dry and I did not cut them off - should I? I soaked the roots a couple of hours and then they went into the planter you see in the picture. I was given the directions to pot it up leaving the upper 2/3 exposed but of course the boyfriend had other ideas and we had no potting soil in the house!

What do you think?
-Kim

Thumbnail by bluekat76
Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7a)

It will be fine....just keep the water level 1/4 inch from the base of the bulb

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

My mom does hers that way all the time. See this thread... http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/553869/

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hey, Kim! I'm so ashamed that I just gave it to you to shove in your pocket rather than potting it up properly! But it looks cool with those rocks. Bleek's right, it should do fine with the water, as long as the bulb doesn't get wet (because then it will rot). You may need to stick a support down into the container and tie the bloom stalk to it... see how it goes... I was rooting a paperwhite in water like this, and when it got tall it shifted a little and then took a nose dive off the counter. After it blooms, though, I think you should pot it up and let it grow some leaves until it's time to plant it outside for the summer.... I have potting soil! Bring it over! (I'll give it back. I promise.) :-)

Here's a great link to a National Arboretum article on amaryllis: http://www.usna.usda.gov/Gardens/faqs/AmaryllisBloom.html

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

critterologist speaks the truth! My amaryllis in water took a nosedive onto my computer desk and my digital camera happened to be sitting on the desk and the glass pot landed right on the camera. That was a very costly amaryllis...

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks everyone! I will leave it alone in there. With the rocks in the bowl it probably weighs over 10 pounds but it sounds like the bowl is not the issue. It is the plant being top heavy. I will dream up something - rather John will.

I didn't take the dried roots off, should I pull it up and cut them now? kbaumle, I read in bleek's post on your thread they should come off.

Do I change the water or just add some when it gets low?

That is a great website Critter - I sent it to my mom also. Don't worry I will find a soil home for her after blooming! My other A bulbs are almost there - I can barely tell but they look pinky orange.

-Kim

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7a)

If you can still take it out, I would take all the dried roots off, but definately leave the healthy roots on.

I also would take all of the water and pebbles out. Then put half of the pebbles back, then plant the Amaryllis and then fill most of the pebbles back in the bowl. The put water in the bowl, but stay under the base of the bulb. This way the bulb will have support, the center of gravity is lower and thus steadier.

Good luck.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Ok, I took it out and cut off the roots. It just went in yesterday so there was no new roots. Now that the pebbles are up around it I can't really see where the bulb ends for the water level height - I pulled the rocks away to watch when I poured the water but when it gets lower....?

Now I know why potting soil may be a better idea!

-Kim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.