Has anyone tried this composter?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

www.naturemill.com

If you have, what did you think of it? I only compost kitchen waste and shredded paper so this might be the right size. The price is steep but - if it works......... Let me know.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Sure is pricey! And the wattage is so high, I'm not sure the environmental payoff's what they claim. But I guess for someone who can't have a real pile or worm bin, or an apartment dweller, it could be good.

There's one positive review of it on Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B62O70/102-4004693-0424929?v=glance&n=284507 And Treehugger.com likes it.

Here's a more critical review: http://www.naturemoms.com/blog/2005/12/08/compost-in-your-kitchen/#comments

Edited to add that if you *do* get one, be sure and review it on Garden Watchdog!

This message was edited Jan 2, 2006 10:58 AM

Denver, CO

Looks useless to me. I've seen folks do better with their own designs using recycled objects and worms.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

ahhh, isn't the 21st century loaded up enough on computerization?...lol.

I'm still waiting for the flying car I was promised in the 60's......We produce somwhere in the neighborhood of 400 tons of compost a year on our ranch and haven't yet had a need for a computerized system. Yet if modern people require a compost maker that tosses the salad makes the dressing, washes the dog and makes fabulous espresso all by remote control or networks to the master control program (the movie Tron comes to mind), then it should be a huge hit.

don the caveman chimes in,
don

Denver, CO

Where do I get one, Doc?

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Don: That is a lot of compost. If you have to much you might be able to turn part of it into a profit if you do not allready. The Turkey barns around here operate a Co Op where they compost all the turkey droppings and mash. They sell a lot to nursuries around the country. They use a big barrel composter 50ft long and 10 ft in dia. It makes 1 rev every 14 mnutes. Turns out a load of compost in 4 days from time of input. the system might be best for poultry.

Don: That is a lot of compost. If you have to much you might be able to turn part of it into a profit if you do not allready. The Turkey barns around here operate a Co Op where they compost all the turkey droppings and mash. They sell a lot to nursuries around the country. They use a big barrel composter 50ft long and 10 ft in dia. It makes 1 rev every 14 mnutes. Turns out a load of compost in 4 days from time of input. the system might be best for poultry.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Of course it seems "over the top" but for many of us who no longer have large homes and big yards where one can hide the bin(s) it might be handy IF it works. Compost piles and bins are actually outlawed in my neighborhood (I know - DUH) but that's the way it is in many places these days. I have managed to hide a small compost bin but it is virtually usless as it is so difficult to turn. I have to use a drill with a long auger bit to mix it up. The days of the large bins are over for me and worms are high maintenance in this climate where it is usually too hot or wet.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Ardesia, obviously it's no one's business but your own if you get this or not; hope the links gave you both sides. I can see how, for folks in the city or for people who aren't able to turn a compost heap, it would be helpful.

Denver, CO

Outlaw compost? That is a mortal sin, isn't it? I would die if I couldn't have a couple big piles of compost in the front yard and driveway!

I can honestly say that indoor managed (thermophile-based) compost is difficult, time consuming, smelly, and certainly not pain-free.

Ardesia, look up "vermicompost." Odorless and amazingly fast. Indoors, too. The species I suggest is redworms. Get yourself a medium-sized rubbermaid, a small bit of garden dirt, equal bit of potting soil, a bunch of worms. Add Kitchen wastes, and Voila! This is not new, a time-tested and flexible method. Does someone want to hear a cost-comparison, or should I just shut up and let you reserch?...
K. James

I agree with James But I understand these new subdivisions and how they set up endentures. You pay hundreds of thoudsands for your home and they about tell you what flowers to plant in the yard. I was in theat situation for a short time. They would come down and threaten to sue you if you didnt keep your garage door closed etc. I really wanted to put a pile of hurting on a couple of them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.