Schreiner's catalog

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

I see Schreiners will be sending their catalog out on Feb. 15. Do they automatically send you one if you have ordered from them the year before, or do you have to pay $5 for one every year?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I always receive one automatically.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Me too.

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Oh goody! I can't wait to see it!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

They do have one of the nicest catalogs around!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Although I find the colors a bit brighter than they should be. Or maybe my eyes are not working right.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I think you're right. A lot of folks use color enhancement in their catalogs these days. I always check DG's PlantFiles before I buy anything, or try to go and see it in person.

I think the blues are the most noticeable with their hyper color. Irises are beautiful enough for me--I don't need the colors hyped up.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Couldn't agree with you more! It's one thing to adjust the color to match the actual flower...it's another to amp up the color in order to sell more.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm going to have to pay for one this year I'm afraid. I ordered from everybody but Schreiners. But it's worth the fare. Sometimes I find that Schreiner's colors aren't bright enough and don't do the flowers justice. I wish that they would replace some of the older ones on their website.

Lebanon, OR

One thing I can tell you. Dave Schreiner gave a show about photographing iris. EXTREMELY interesting and very informative.

It is not so much that the photographer or such has enhanced as much as it is the PRINTER trying to match the true color of the photograph.

One thing he has done on colors that are hard to photo is take a color chip as near to the iris as possible to the printer with them to try to get it close.

Some colors will either not photograph true or some will not print true.

D

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Very good point, D. I never even thougth about it being the printer.

Lebanon, OR

and different types of paper..as the ink takes differently with different manufacturers of paper...

Odd but I had never thought about that until I saw first hand 6 papers all the same picture all slightly different color penetration

D

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It's tough too. I've stood on either side of a flower and depending on which way the light falls on it, it just looks as if it's an entirely different color. Darks are the hardest for me.

I have a friend who owns the Santa Fe art magazine and she says that getting the color separations on the colors of the artwork is a bear. And these photos are taken under perfect conditions.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Got a "free mini edition" catalog from them today- ouch! I guess my first foray into the world of Iris won't be thru them- unless I win the lottery that is! Can't see spending $50.00 for a purple and white Iris- yikes!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Yes, Schreiner's isn't the most economical way to go. However, they have GREAT quality, and I've never received any mis-named ones from them.

I'd go with Snowpeak Iris and Daylilies. You can get a lot of the newer varieties for a good price. Denise is nice to deal with and always gives nice extras with your order. The 2006 catalog should be up by the end of the month. You can find them at www.snowpeakiris.com.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks so much for the link flowerfrenzy!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

You're welcome. Snowpeak is a great place to buy because you get to choose from some of the latest intros without breaking the bank!

Corte Madera, CA

i got my copy yesterday. the mini edition. i'm drooling all over.

Here you go, Moonglow. (handing you a towel and a bucket) ;-)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

If it's not iris, it's lilies and if it's not that then it's daylilies and................. So much drool, so little time!

Corte Madera, CA

thanks, mendy =).

...and i'm not even done burying my daffs...

We actually had some dry weather a few weeks ago, so I got mine back in the ground then. Some of them are starting to come up too! :-)

Edited to say: I'm glad I did it then, cuz if I tried to plant anything now I would need either webbed feet or gills! We have had 4 months worth of rain in the last month!

This message was edited Jan 21, 2006 4:23 PM

The next time the snow melts, I'm going to go out crawling thru my beds to clip off the old leaves. Can you tell spring fever is hitting me already?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.