Garden New Year Resolutions

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Anyone making resolutions pertaining to gardening?

I plan to take better care of my gardening tools by keeping things sharp, oiled and ready to use. I also plan to buy more fruit and nut trees and get a fence up around my vegetable garden area. My brother in law gave me a ton of acorns that I wish to plant throughout my woods. I also want to transplant some beautiful blue spruce from my friend's property to mine around my new pond and down the road. His trees need thinning out.

Happy New Year Michiganders!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

*I plan to stay on top of the weeds more and get ahead of things(hopefully)
Last summer i babysat for Lizzy and didnt get enough done in the garden-but heck shes only lil for awhile!(need to wake earlier)

**I want to roundup the plants in the sidewalk no matter if they are seedlings!!!I want the sidewalks free of plant growth!

***i want to figure out a better way to grow tomatos-move to a new area where blight has not ever been
Also have plans of moving and rearranging the garden now that i know more about the plants I have out there-LOL

***Want to try and have a planttrade/get together here this yr in the spring! :)

ON another note-lose weight,get in shape,quit drinking so much Tequilla!
drink more water! really luv those margaritas though!

HAPPY HAPPY NEW YR to everyone here, may the new yr bring us health,joy and HAPPINESS. fun fun fun and more fun through out the new yr

CHEERZ
dori

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I would like my beds color schemed!! Fat chance !! I have reds mixed with oranges etc. It's a real wild look and every year I think NEXT year I'll move things!! LOL

Also need to put down some edging lumber around one last bed. Need to cut down two pine trees that died in the midst of a bed (DH job...)

Only trim my grapes part way back - when will I learn to NOT trim them way back - no grapes....done this twice before I knew what the problem was!!

Lose weight, eat better, take my vitamins, exercise more (I've had these same ones for years!! )

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

HI Brenda and Dori, you gals are very ambitious, guess I am gonna have to keep up with you two....

I too plan to say ahead of my weeds, and catch them in early spring before they get a foot hold in. Mulch real heavy again this year.

Plant two new Rose climbers on my new Trellis I got for Christmas....

Dori, count me in on the plant exchange....infact, if you wanna have it here at my place, its open....I'm for a Dave's garden plant exchange....lets do it!

Happy New Year all you Michigan Gardeners....Think Spring! 81 more days..

Gladwin, MI(Zone 4b)

Want to get my Preen down "before" the weeds seed, hopefully will get them all pulled so there aren't any (fat chance), want to start spraying my irises "before" they get leaf spot, not after (I say this every year, but I am really going to try this year), need to get my mulch down earlier in the year. Hopefully I will be able to keep my gardening resolutions this year.

Marilyn

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Try to better keep up with the weeds, move some plants that need moving, finish my new flower bed that I started 2 years ago.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

That Preen works really well. I used it for the first time this past year in a brand new flower bed sized 15 x 45. I put it down in March I think and reapplied it 90 days later and I hardly had any weeds at all. I love that stuff. I bought one of those super huge boxes of it so I'd have it early this spring to put down.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I use Preen too Loon. I made the mistake of applying it too early though before I planted my perennial seeds. Needless to say, the seed didn't come up.

Lansing, MI

This will be my first garden! So, though I don't make "new year resolutions" as a rule, I'm making it a goal to keep this first attempt small enough to be successful. Any advice from your very first gardening attempts would be appreciated. (I do plan to wintersow, too!)

Maggie
P.S. hemlady...I'm originally from Melvindale!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Maggie again welcome to the site!! Is your new garden full sun or shade?
I have lots of plants I could recommend!

this is my main garden

Thumbnail by notmartha
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Maggie, I remember you, I think you knew my daughters Rebekah & Sarah.

Lansing, MI

notmartha/Dori: Thanks for the welcome and I'm not sure yet?! I need to observe the spot we're thinking of a little more to be sure, but it gets a good amount of sun. It's backyard, southeast section of the yard. There aren't too many shade trees effecting that area, as far as I can tell at this point. I plan to at least plant tomatoes, bell peppers of some kind, some type of lettuce, and maybe green beans, runner beans or peas of some kind. My boyfriend and I are hoping to grow most/all of our produce needs, but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew (pun intended!). I would appreciate any of your ideas.

hemlady: Aha, yes. I would've been in the same 4th and 5th grade class as Rebekah, right? Hello, and hello to your girls.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes you are right Maggie. Rebekah was over last night and we were recalling when you and your sister were into ice skating. You were a very good skater.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

notmartha-what a beautiful garden. How long have you been working on this one.?? It is just lovely. Perfect eye candy on this dreary, snowy, windy day.

Lansing, MI

Yes, Dori, your garden is very nice.
Looks like a lot of work, but a lot of reward.

Lansing, MI

Hemlady:

Thank you, I appreciate that. I haven't been on the ice in 3-4 years and just open skating at that, haven't actually "figure" skated for about 9 years now. It was fun, though!

How long have you been gardening?

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow..!! Dori you should treat us everyday with a picture to help us through these dreary days of winter...

Loretta...

What happened??How do I erase all of this?

Loretta..

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Maggie, I started gardening about l4 to l5 years ago. A friend gave me a few daylilies and now I have about 200. I got into business about 4 years ago to keep them thinned out. I sell them on ebay and lily auction.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Loretta dont worry about them!!! ;)

I started that garden about 10yrs ago!
Its a passion!

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

iris beds in the spring

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

here is my new addiction ---DAYLILIES!

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

no snow over this way-we do have sunshine and COLD. I really need some snow to cover up my gardens-i lost alot of plants one yr to the bitter temps!

this bloomed indoors awhile ago and i have christmas cactus and another Hibby blooming now-thank heavens!!

just a lil eye candy~

Thumbnail by notmartha
Gladwin, MI(Zone 4b)

Dori, your gardens are beautiful!

Marilyn

Eye candy is right..Do you do all that yourself?Do you sell any of yours?I would surely be a customer of yours..And hemlady your my neighbor gotta see your gardens and see what you have for sale...
Dori are you close to Deann?She also has beautiful gardens..!

Loretta...

Sorry again about this double post...

Loretta..

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Loretta
Yes I do it all myself! DH does till the DL rows as of last yr!! :)
Yes I sell lots of plants! Deann lives about a hr north of me in tawas-my inlaws have a rv there in the main park! So now and again we get up there!

Like i said everyone is welcome-anytime-im usually home!

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Loretta.......are you stuttering or what....*G*.....I live about 1 hour north of where Dori lives...and her garden is a must see....Its really a labor of love, and is beautiful.

Dori....we had a nice dusting this morning of snow....but most of it is melting...my pond keeps freezing and thawing...poor Webster and friend can't figure out whats happening...

Deann

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

keyword -LABOR lol ;)

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Have some freezing rain here this morning. The roads look treacherous.

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

We got a nice "skif" of snow last night....some of you may call it a "dusting". And now, its snowing again...looks like the kind that is gonna accumulate...73 more days to spring and counting...

Deann

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

They are saying 50s for next week so whatever you get is going to melt!
We have a dusting here and are on a winter advisory for freezing rain!
I heard that mount pleasant was ice this morning!

Wouldnt it be nice to just take those 50s temps and start spring early!!!
a girl can dream!!!!

Lansing, MI

Loretta...I know how you feel with the double posts, sometimes it seems like the postings haven't sent. Then, you click to send again and two (or more in your case, heehee) end up going through.

I may have to buy some of your daylilies, hemlady! The pic of Dori's blooms are beautiful. Did hemlady supply any of yours, Dori?

One other question...have any of you had your soil tested? and do you know what's involved? I'm thinking the county health dept. might do it, but not sure. I don't think my yard is contaminated (I'm just outside the Grand River flood plain), but just for curiousity's sake I'd like to have the soil tested.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I have traded with hemlady before-but as for supply-nah I have ordered and traded many people over the past few yrs! ;) so you could say i have alot of suppliers! LOL

Talk about feeling stupid...I was shocked when I saw that..I promise to hit it ONLY once..!!

Deann could you e-mail me the pictures of your green house again?Please I promise not to do all that stutering again..I have your gardens in my favorites but somehow that series got deleted..My SIL wants to see it,they are planning on building their own...I have no room for one but sure wish I did...

I started my WS but I am worried that it's not gonna work,after all the time I put into planting them..They look so cold,I think if they could talk they would say bring me in I'm cold..!!
Hit once then send!!! Loretta...

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Maggie....Welcome to Dave's.....with regard to soil testing, this is how you do it. Take about 1/2 cup of soil from various spots in your garden....at least 4 spots, and take it to your local County Extension office. There is a small charge for it, but well worth it. With you living in Lansing, Michigan State could probably do it for you in the Ag dept. Check it out....

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Loretta....No Problem.....

http://community.webshots.com/user/deannmi

Eagle, MI(Zone 5a)

Sarv48 -- I just read your post about color in the garden. I just learned that P. Allen Smith is talking about "Five Things You Should Know about Color for Your Garden" at the West Michigan Home and Garden Show on March 4th in Grand Rapids. Lecture is at 3:15 p.m. More info at www.stuckongardening.com.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.