Jack Frost

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

...has been very busy here for the last three weeks or so. It's been very beautiful, but cold.
This morning is the first time it's been above freezing in that time, so I'm celebrating not having to break the ice on the horses' and chickens' water.
Thought you might like to see a bit of our winter wonderland :)

Thumbnail by philomel

This is Buddleia 'Honeycomb' doing its best to be evergreen against all the odds :)

Thumbnail by philomel
oiartzun-near san se, Spain(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the photos Hilary - they're beautiful. Am seriously thinking about visiting you in the New Year.... You have been warned!
Maggi xxxx

That'll be really great. If you are able there is a bed here for you - it's quite a drive :)
I'm hoping to come your way too - have new camping car will travel ;)

Here's another frosty pic, a juvenile oak just below the house

Thumbnail by philomel

.....and a view up the lime walk

Thumbnail by philomel
Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

What beautiful pictures Hilary, it must have been very cold to produce such huge crystals. We've had a lot more frosts than usual due to having a sunny November instead of grey cloudy weather. I know I would much rather have the sun, clear skies and frosty nights. It might kill a few slugs too.

Very pretty, these are the kinds of things I enjoy about winter on the days when I don't have to work. I understand Kent came in for a pretty cold snap for this side of the Watford Gap too.

Are these views from your home Philomel or a little further afield?

Thanks Pat, yes the blue sky when it happens certainly helps. We had lots of fog with the frost, but I seem to have picked photos with clear skies, so I'm adding one with fog in it :)

Yes Baa, my daughter and her family went back to Kent in time to catch the snow, they almost had a white Christmas.
All the photos are taken in the garden here in France. We're on a ridge and have lovely views of the Pyrenees when the weather is right - not in the fog LOL. We have about 25 acres in all, though most is wood or pasture rather than garden. Still, plenty of space to expand into (if I ever get on top of what's already garden ;o)

Thumbnail by philomel
oiartzun-near san se, Spain(Zone 8a)

Wow, more beautiful photos ! How about a few of the house, which from your address I believe is a chateau?
Please come and see us in your camping van - we only have half a farmhouse but you're very welcome to visit.
BTW,this applies to any of you reading this - if you're anywhere in our area this year, pop in!
Maggi xxxx

Hi Maggi. Thanks for the kindness about the photos - and the invitation, which I shall certainly take up at some point when it fits in with you. All are equally welcome here :)

A château doesn't translate literally as a castle as we understand it in English. The main house of a wine domaine has the title château and I believe this is why ours is one. It is fairly large, but incorporates in the linked barn the press and chai(storage). No ramparts or defences of any kind - jusy a rambling old country dwelling. We are 3 households in one (myself, my Mum (95) and my daughter and her family (husband and 2 daughters) and we needed somewhere that was large enough for all of us to live and for Vivien & co. to run gites. So voila, that is why we are here. There are lots of pics of the house on our website - but it's against the rules of DG for me to put the addy here so I'll pm you with it :)
I'll try and put a few on here later, but have just realised friends are arriving for coffee any sec........

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.