Another ID please

Athens, OH

My son found this at an abandoned barn.
It has lovely buttery yellow flowers with purple veining.

Any ideas?
Thanks, ROX

Thumbnail by rox_male
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

I love this one! If you ever have extra to trade please keep me in mind.

Athens, OH

Dear almcfarla-
My son says he is willing to trade.
Remind us this Spring and we will send some!
ROX and Ryan

Celina, TN(Zone 6b)

It may be Baby Blessed......
Winni

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Baby Blessed is a SDB and doesn't have the dark patterning shown in the picture of your son's iris.

Athens, OH

It reminds me of Iris 'Honoribile' that is often seen in large clumps around old homes.
It is fragrant but the standards are buttery yellow no egg-yolk yellow and the falls are less purple.

ROX

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Honorabile has yellow standards and distinct rusty falls. How tall is your iris? It looks like a historic. Do you have another angle on the falls?

Athens, OH

The iris is about 2 feet tall.
Regretfully, I don't have another image.
ROX

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Rox, if you have extra of this iris to trade this spring, please include me. I do have extra [I hope] of TB, Sib. iris to trade.

Maxine

Sounds like a historical. I have similiar markings on a white historic. Many of them have bred back or hybridized themselves over the years. I love them for the innocent colors and strength. These old iris can live thru anything!

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

it looks like a yellow Mrs Horace Darwin
maybe it got bee crossed with Gracchus
its a historic for sure but whether it is true or a bee cross is ??
dose any one have the HIPS website ?i lost it when i crashed

Tazzy, you been swinging from that fan again?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Tazzy,

Here's the old HIPS site:

http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/level1/TOC.html#anchor741010

and here's the new one:

http://www.hips-roots.com/

Athens, OH

Maxine-
My son (9 yrs old) says he is willing to trade.

What is usually considered a reasonable amount (# fans) for a trade for an iris?
When is a good time to divide this iris?

ROX

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Rox, I won't be able to trade until sometime in May. Unless winter decides not to stick around as late as it normally does.
I normally send a good sized chunk of rhizomes so that the person might get a blossom or two. Sometimes Mother Nature cooperates in this.

Maxine

Athens, OH

May sounds good.
If I forget, just remind me.
ROX

Lauire-- Thank you for the link to the new HIPS site. The historics are not only breathtaking, they can take whatever Iowa drought or Iowa blizzard is thrown at them!

Rox-- Maxine has traded with me & she's great!

Athens, OH

I received this email ...

The yellow one looks like it is probably FLAVESCENS, which is from 1813, one of the earliest known named bearded iris hybreds. It is hard to say absolutely from the angle of the photo, but you can take a look at the HIPS website to compare the picture of Flavescens posted there with your picture.
If you are not familiar with the HIPS website, the URL is [HYPERLINK@www.hips-roots.com] and if you like historic iris pics, there is alot there to see.
Laetitia

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Rox_male--- What Wanda neglected to state is that she is also one super person to trade with!
Thanks Wanda for the vote of confidence.

Maxine

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Here's Flavescens from my garden. I think Laetitia's id is right.

Thumbnail by NeilTR

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.