Have you seen this one?

Kittrell, NC(Zone 7b)

I ordered some seeds for this one! Really pretty and different isn't it! Picture reprinted with owners permission!!! If all goes well next year there will be seeds aplenty.
Melanie

Thumbnail by meag848
St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Very cool Melanie. I hope it does very well for you!

Erick

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7a)

I am really looking forward to seeing pics of the progress from seed to bloom, Melanie. This is a really unique color pattern. I wonder if it will change from bloom to bloom. How are you starting your seeds? I received a few rockwool squares from a DGer and am going to try some in that since Kell and others have had such good luck with it.

Barb

Kittrell, NC(Zone 7b)

I'm just going to soak the seeds then plant and cover with a plastic bag I just hope that they turn out like these beauties..You have to do what's best for you. The good old fashion way has always been good for me! LOL! Barb, we are a pair!
Thanks

This message was edited Dec 30, 2005 7:50 AM

Yazoo City, MS(Zone 7b)

Melanie,
That is absolutely beautiful! I'm a sucker for the unusual!
Where did you find the seeds, if I may ask?

Thanks!
Yvonne

Kittrell, NC(Zone 7b)

Yvonne,
Your up mighty early! I got them from that online auction (I don't think I can say the name). I just hope that they come out like she pictured. I have never had a problem growing daturas, they have always bloomed like the parent plant , but this one I am a little wary about. They weren't that expensive, so I thought that I would give them a try. If you get any let me know so that we can compare when they bloom!

This message was edited Dec 30, 2005 4:54 AM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Does this variety have a name?

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Maybe when they bloom I can come up your way and see it. Is that Purple and yellow?

Lavina

Kittrell, NC(Zone 7b)

Moby, I don't know if it has a name or not. It was just listed as yellow and purple.
LavinaMae, Sure just come on up.... just 30 minutes north of Raleigh on 401

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

It's gorgeous either way! Where did you find it?

Kittrell, NC(Zone 7b)

On that famous online auction (I don't think I can say the name here). Seeds were really reasonable too. Like I said before I just hope that they are true to the parent plant..... I guess we'll see. LOL!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I don't think that's a problem ~ ebay? bloomingauction? I guess it really doesn't matter though, just hope they grow great for you. :)

Kittrell, NC(Zone 7b)

All Right!! If I get in trouble it's your fault!!!It was Ebay! LOL!!!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

LOL OK, if you get thrown in the pokey, I'll bail you out and take full responsibility.

Yazoo City, MS(Zone 7b)

Melanie,
I did buy some of those seeds from the auction, but I haven't received them yet.
I sure am anxious to see if they come true to the parent. The seller said he had a yellow datura and a purple datura close together and the seeds off of one of them produced this purple and yellow color combo.
We'll see what happens!
I'm not very good at germinating for some reason, but I'm going to try anyway!
Ya'll wish me luck!
Yvonne

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Good luck!

(hope I didn't just send all my luck away ~ I'm terrible at seeds too and have some I need to start.)

Kittrell, NC(Zone 7b)

Lets stay in touch! Maybe between the two of us and the seeds we can come up with this beauty!! I won't be starting mine til about the end Feb. Not enough room!!
Moby...You can do it!!
Melanie

This message was edited Jan 8, 2006 3:04 AM

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Meag & Moby,

I am beting that the plants from this cross will not all do the same thing. I hope that you will grow out as many as possible. I would guess that as they start blooming, you can both isolate a very promising specimen with the desired bicolor trait, and grow those that complement one another (mostly purple vs. mostly yellow) near each other for cross-pollination.

I don't know if that is correct for the genetics of Datura, but it makes sense. Then, you can keep a record of the parents by description,and try second generation plantings in '07, etc. Anyhow, since it was an apparently random cross, I doubt it will be stable without more crossing and slecting to stabilize the traits you are looking for.

Peter

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the info, Peter ~ I was wondering.

OK, I'll try starting my seeds but mine are for Purple Petticoats. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/104607/index.html

Kittrell, NC(Zone 7b)

Thank you so much!
Melanie

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Melanie, I bought the seeds to. Can't wait to see if they will turn out the same.
:) Donna

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I saw these on ebay, but as they stated there is no way to know if seeds will be the same as the parent so I decided not to order just 10 seeds for $7 so far.

Kittrell, NC(Zone 7b)

Good Gracious!!! I paid just 2.99 for my seeds! But everyone, not to worry, if they DO turn out like the picture, and set good pods. they will be seeds for everyone I promise.

Tyler, TX(Zone 8a)

Melanie, Please do not forget to let us see what happens. Joan

Kittrell, NC(Zone 7b)

JUst an update. I planted the seeds and 7 sprouted in no time! So I guess it won't be much longer til we see what happens! What about the rest of you?
Melanie

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Around the first of February, I started a 12" pot with dat seeds. I rarely start anything indoors so I don't have much to provide a good environment. Put the pot on a table above a heat vent and gave it a desk lamp.

So many of them sprouted that I had to have DH dig an old shop light out of storage.

Thumbnail by Moby
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

And I still have this many left in the pot ~

Thumbnail by Moby
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Now THAT's a green thumb.
How'd you make out in Lincoln's latest storm?
Looked messy on Nat'l News.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Well...it was messy! Not too bad though, no power outages and school was out for Spring break anyway. The snow was very heavy and wet, I figure we have around 15 inches. Very much needed and I'm happy to have it. :)

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Melanie,,, I have a golden queen up that you gave me.. It took forever to come up,,, I just put out some of the others...that sure is an interesting one you got from ebay... let us know... Elaine

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Moby - how many of the purple petticoats survived?
They make my plain old native datura which are white or occasionally white with a slight purple edging... well anyway they make them 'pale' in comparison. If these petticoats make plenty of seeds I will be begging come fall.

Elaine - only one yellow? DID MORE COME UP?

so far no sign of any of my plants, we are still in mostly dormant mode. This will all change after 3 days of almost 89 degrees this week, everything will be popping.
~Blooms

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

How many survived?? ALL of them! (groan.....) But they'll be going with me to the Iowa RU.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

oh great going... wish I was. [going with you to the RU]

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Only one of the first 5 golden queen seeds came up..think the others damped off. just planted next 5.. warm weather should help.. .now.. more pots and soil.. plant swap sounds like fun 2.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

You folks are such enablers now I gotta go looking I have about 34 hibiscus plant to repot and 50 coleus and 24 gourds now I see yellow and purple daturas and mine that are purple are planted but not comming up yet.AHHHHHHH
Basement is full of plants,pots and bags of potting soil. How can I work ? I need to be putting plants in pots.
Mental note-gotta go to Kittrell. LOL

Lavina

Kittrell, NC(Zone 7b)

Just wanted everyone to know that out of 6 seeds planted 5 have come up......so time will tell what these babies will look like!

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

I have about 4 more of the golden queen seedlings up from second planting. Now to get that greenhouse built....Elaine

Kittrell, NC(Zone 7b)

Ok!! This one has finally bloomed. It's not what was pictured but it is yellow and purple, very different. I had to take pictures in the rain with the tropical storm Ernesto (sp ?), cause I am not sure it's gonna be there in the morning, LOL!!

Thumbnail by meag848
Kittrell, NC(Zone 7b)

Here is another shot, it is a very light buttery yellow. My camera just doesn't capture it, and the rain doesn't help.

Thumbnail by meag848
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

MEAG, I would just love some of those seeds if you have some to spare.

Doris

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.