used coffee grounds for vegetable containers

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

is it okay to use them? do i mix a cujp or two into the soil or do i juse top dress it? any comments please. thanks

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Coffee grounds are fine in the garden or compost, but should be left out of containers. They add nothing in nutrients that you can't get in any number of fertilizers and break down quickly, creating problems with drainage and aeration.

Container culture is much different than growing in the garden. I would suggest that garden soil, compost, sand, and coffee grounds are on the list of things best left in the garden.

Al

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

al - thanks so much for the advice. i have never used coffee grounds at all. saw someplace that they were used in the garden sparingly so i thought i would see if they could be used in containers since is the first year i am going exclusively with containers.
thanks again

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

My Aunt used coffee grounds for her roses and they were always beautiful. This was back in the forties when people never heard of prepared fertilizer. She did make her own compost so I don't know if it was the coffee grounds that aided the compost as she applied the coffee grounds every day. I remember the fresh scent from her Pittsburgh, Pa. garden and her dog that would never let me get near the chicken coop.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Tplant,lol, you crack me up!
My grandmother used to whack the catfish that were in her bass pond on the head and bury them in her rose garden...she always had beautiful roses too! And her swans wouldn't let me near the garden shed....
:)
MerryMary

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

tplamt/merry mary - don't you guys give up your jobs just yet. LOL

Fulton, MO

I don't know if you all realize this, but Tapla is (was?) the resident expert in the container forum at GW. You are truly fortunate to have him around. I have learned a lot from Al.

Al, good to see you over here. I made the jump, too.

Have you had a chance to look at the CHC?

Robert

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Robert - You're too kind, but thank you, and good to see you here, too. I still retain dual citizenship - GW and DG. What's CHC?

Al

Fulton, MO

Sorry folks, I know I'm off topic...

Al, several weeks ago I did an experiment measuring the water retention/drainage in containers with and without wicks, using a Promix medium as compared to a coconut husk chip medium. The wick drained a substantial amount of water out of the Promix container, but had no additional effect on the CHC containers. I posted on a different Citrus forum and, I think, on the GW container forum.

This link describes a number of different aspects of the use of CHC and includes some comparisons to pine bark.

http://www.ladyslipper.com/coco3.htm

I have since read that some orchid growers have found the CHC retains too much water for some orchids! I'm interested in any thoughts or experiences you or anyone else might have.

Robert

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Herbie....your not the first one who has told me to not give up my day job just yet! I'm running out of 2nd occupations, as none of them so far have proved to be talent worthy! ;)
Mary

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Robert - I remember our conversation now, and I did read the link you provided. I'm guarded about the content because they're selling CHC's. I won't be doing much with soils for another 8 wks or so when I'll start bonsai repots. I'll be sure to try them so I can at least talk intelligently about their properties. Sorry about straying from the thread, Herbie.

Al

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Herbie, coffee grounds have helped keep the slugs away from my plants. I put some of it into the soil, but mainly, I sprinkle it around the plants as compost and, as I said, keeps the slugs away.
Michelle

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

michelle - thanks for your input. i am planting into containers this year so i think i am just gonna forget about the grounds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.