New Year iris

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, Fancy Dress and Rosalie Figge and Harvest are still blooming but Square Dance Skirt that isn't supposed to be a rebloomer has 9 buds on it.

This is Square Dance Skirt blooming today. It's a nice large flower on strong stalks too. I have a few more iris coming up but we'll just hope for nice warm weather like we've been having - although it's been wet, wet, wet.

Thumbnail by doss
Lebanon, OR

Not FAIR Doss. It has been pouring rain and average temp about 38 today is about 45 with no rain...hehehehehe

D

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Hehehehe. Let's hope that the orange one opens next.
The miniature roses are happy too. This is a new bed but you can see the yellow minis wander around in a row.

Thumbnail by doss
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Ugh~I'm so jealous! All I have left of my irises are the rhizomes and a few leaves that are looking pretty soggy and droopy about now.

Lebanon, OR

Ditto here. Do have some winter jasmine in bloom.
Everything so lack with the heavy rainfall. YUCK. This is the time of the year I hate living here then come about Feb, everything gets bright and beautiful once more...the daffs, the tulips and then the lovely iris and followed by the daylilies

D

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

What a beauty! It is sooo appreciated this time of year!

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

very pretty!!!!!

Lebanon, OR

glad you both enjoyed. I will post one of Bianco's newer iris that I will be carrying this year.

this one is George Smith

Thumbnail by irisloverdee
Lebanon, OR

this one is his 2006 iris

Tango Bond

Thumbnail by irisloverdee
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Love that "George Smith" Dee - I'm hoping that it will bloom this year. Tango Bond is really lovely - but I love his saturated colors so much. I think that I'm hooked. Now if I could just pronounce all of the names........can we say "Strozzapreti"? :-)

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Doss ~ What a beauty!! Iris blooming in Dec......I know we're not supposed to be jealous, but I am!

Dee ~ George Smith is stunning!

Judy

Lebanon, OR

it is even prettier in person, just as Death by Chocolate and the infamous (to us USA people) Strozzapreti.

He has a couple of others that he is intro this year, but not sure which ones. I told him the ones that I think will sell well here in the USA, so will see in a few more weeks.

D

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

d - love george smith! is it a dwarf? belinda

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Dee ~ I purchased Strozzapreti this past summer and am so anxious to see it bloom! His cultivars are absolutely gorgeous, and I do hope to add some more this season. Must keep this "habit" going! Judy

Lebanon, OR

He has so many that is up and coming. I look forward to the list to offer that year.

He has not yet decided so will be kinda of curious.

D

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

How about "Passaparola". Where on earth did that come from. Do you know what it means, D?? Or is it just someone's name like "George Smith". George Smith sounds like an alias.

Here's a photo of Strozzapreti in the PF
http://davesgarden.com/pf/search.php?search_text=iris+strozzapreti&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here is Season Ticket (IB) blooming today with four stands and four falls. Just one but it's a bright spot in the garden.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

And here's IB Angel Heart.

Thumbnail by doss
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I love the picture of "Season Ticket"! It certainly would be a bright spot in anyone's garden!! "Angel Heart's" bloom in perfectly timed with the holiday season!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Iris blooming in December? Sigh... In my next life, I'm going to be rich with houses all over the world so I can have iris blooming in my garden all year long!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Very clever Wanda - and master gardeners to take care of each and every one? :-)

No--diggers to do the tough stuff & pull weeds. I'll take care of my babies myself....

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

IM Concertina was blooming today - no photo, it's storming!

doss, you are KILLING me.... Here I am at 45 degrees (warm for an Iowa winter) , grass greening and dreary rain every day. Oh well, rain soaks in & you don't have to shovel it.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Doss~

So, you're telling me that if I move to CA, I could have iris blooming year 'round? Hmmmm.......

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Wouldn't that be fun?!!

It's a freak year - I've never had this happen before. A lot of my daylilies are putting up scapes too which I'm just going to have to cut off. I hope it doesn't cause a problem with their spring performance. Let's hope that they don't feel as if they are finished for the year.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Oh, I thought this was a normal yearly thing for you in that zone. Well, I'm sure you're really enjoying it! I hope it doesn't affect your spring bloom too!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Wouldn't that be lovely if it were normal? I've heard that if you plan it there are enough different kinds of iris that you can have bloom almost all the months of the year. But I don't know what they are.

So far I only grow TBI, medians, and PCI and LA's the first time this year.

Lebanon, OR

Well for us Oregonians the ret's are first at the time of daffs then come the medians, the TB from May to June then Sibs and JI extend the bloom into Sept or Oct so that is GOOD for here.

Right now I have winter yellow jasmine in bloom.

D

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Pretty - any photos?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I don't grow LA's (yet), so my sequence of bloom goes like this:

MDB/SDB

PCI/IB

TB

SIB/SPU

JI

Of course, all of the iris seasons tend to overlap each other a bit. This year was weird, though. My IB's were blooming along with my TB's.

This message was edited Jan 5, 2006 10:11 AM

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

More weird weather! Can't quite believe it. This should be the 'weird weather' thread.

We had 2 weeks of 70 degrees in March 2005 when it should have been 40 or snowing. My dwarfs & IBs were a month early and got hit hard by the late freezes in April. TBs started mid April and lasted into June. Everything overlapped by 2-3 weeks. The late April freezes took out all the TB buds down one side of the yard and the bottom 15 foot of leaves on all the trees. :( Strange year.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

That is pretty awful Wanda - and what I'm worried about. Most years we get no freezes but it's been known to get below 40 and that can hurt flowers pretty badly. The rain's gone now - and the power is back. But that means it can get cold before you know it. Sorry about your spring.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is Big Squeeze - because of all the rain it does look like somebody had a good time squeezing it, don't you think???

Thumbnail by doss

Hey Doss, it got ABOVE 40 today & the whole neighborhood was outside doing yardwork and walkking dogs! I was tempted to go out & trim trees, but I resisted. It could be 20 below zero & a blizzard next week. But I DID walk the dog...

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Hey! That sounds just grand. The weather is just so relative isn't it? I'm glad that you could get out and walk the dog - I'll bet the dog was REALLY happy.

Concertina is blooming today. And Big Squeeze has another flower in bloom. Harvest of Memories hasn't stopped blooming since the end of November. That iris is a workhorse.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is innocent star - I wish that I could show you the real color. It's spectacular - yellow with bright blue stripe down the middle of the falls and then the purple plicata. I bought this one from Snowpeak this summer.

Thumbnail by doss
Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

very pretty!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

That's gorgeous!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.