Sugar maple

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I'm in zone 8 and today I saw a sugar maple for sale at the local farm center nursery. It's not the southern sugar maple, I think it's the typical northern version. I know they are not usually recommended for this area because the summers get so hot, but would it work in part shade as an understory tree?

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Maybe, but why risk it? Maples are so easy to transplant that you could bring a local wild sapling in from some neglected fencerow or vacant lot (with permission). You could even scout it out in advance next fall and choose one with great fall color.

Guy S.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

We dont have any sugar maples here, not even the southern form. All we have here are red maples and rarely I see a silver maple. Just thought it would be a nice change from the typical red maple. I do have one southern sugar maple. The leaves on it seem to be much smaller than the northern species.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Can you find out where the farm store got it?
Or, if it's cheap enough, just plant it (not in a prominant, exposed location where you can't afford to lose it) and hope for the best.
Or contact some good southern nursery like Woodlanders (Aiken, SC) and get a small one from them.
Or check out the Caddo selection from Sunshine Nursery in Clinton, OK.
(Or maybe some kind soul from the South on the forum might offer one to you?)
:-)

Guy S.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Well I went to buy that sugar maple today and it had a sold tag on it. Oh' well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.