Shrimp shells?

Prospect Park, PA(Zone 7a)

Good to compost?

Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

good question! I always feed them to my chickens - they love the shrimp peels and the heads. Maybe someone else has tried composting them?

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Popular opinion is not to add any meat/fish or meat/fish products to compost because they readily attract vermin & disease-causing bacteria.

Now years ago my father, grandfather, uncles, etc., frequently buried all the scraps remaining from their fishing trips out in the garden (as did the American Indians) - but these scraps were buried - fairly deeply - & not composted. There's a difference.

Yep, they is a differinx, Breezy. I have a farm pond, and I am not supposed to throw back any of the bluegill I ketch because they are always ready to over-populate the pond and wreck the balance of fish in the pond. So I bury any I catch in my garden. If you have a really HOT and DEEP compost pile, I have heard you can put just about anything in it. I have even heard of people putting dead pigs in their compost piles. But it is generally NOT recommended for perzackly the reasons you mentioned.

As for chickens eating shrimp peels and heads, them chickens just love all KINDS of things to eat. They seem about as omnivorous as hogs! I enjoy throwing an apple core into my friends' chicken pen and watching them "play rugby" with it! LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.